Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

OMFG FURRY posted:

herc grows, he's just a moron

I haven't seen the show in a long time but I felt like he never made any meaningful growth. His incompetence eventually gets him fired and he lands on his feet making more money working for a scumbag defense attorney. He has no problem passing around information from his employer to the police and vice versa not because of his moral convictions, but because doing it would make him look good I could be remembering wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
All you people recommending the Leftovers are nuts. That show was loving awful.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Vampire Panties posted:

I mean, outside of the shows listed by Costco Meatballs, are there any that have absolute banger seasons all the way through?

Desperate Housewives honestly. 3 and 4 are the "bad seasons" imo, but still have lots of fun stuff. When most people watch it and are like "wow I'm loving it I'm like halfway through season 4" its fun to let them know that they are actually almost done with the "bad seasons"

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

he ends up doing a lot less harm than he had the potential to, i count that as growth. pruned, but growth.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

he agrees stealing the camera was a good play and thats about his only growth imo
hes otherwise a COP through and through

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

fuzzy dunlop is the best character in the wire

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oldstench posted:

All you people recommending the Leftovers are nuts. That show was loving awful.

What part did you hate? The insanely good acting? The tense storylines? The awesome mysticism? The completely relatable post-Covid loss cults and depression?

Herc has character growth, growth into a worse and worse person.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yeah, herc just spirals down, but in some ways, it's a reminder that most people who go into policing aren't good people anyway.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

can any gun nut please tell me if a walther ppk is a good gun or if its just extremely james bond

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bossy lady posted:

I haven't seen the show in a long time but I felt like he never made any meaningful growth. His incompetence eventually gets him fired and he lands on his feet making more money working for a scumbag defense attorney. He has no problem passing around information from his employer to the police and vice versa not because of his moral convictions, but because doing it would make him look good I could be remembering wrong though.

His low points also include getting Bubbles badly beaten after trusting Herc, and ruining Randy’s life through not following procedures. One of his only bright spots is when internal affairs comes for him he takes the blame without dragging other detectives down with him like Burrell was threatening to do.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

yeah, herc just spirals down, but in some ways, it's a reminder that most people who go into policing aren't good people anyway.

Yeah and at the end he’s thriving at the law firm making bank at a time when the police dept can’t even cover their own bar tabs, and it looks like he has a bright future as Levy loves him. At least Carver is also doing well and has matured a lot.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

honestly, one of the things that remains really fresh about the wire is just showing how badly broken most cops are, even when they're trying to do the right thing.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
gently caress it, just watch Hannibal

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

GolfHole posted:

can any gun nut please tell me if a walther ppk is a good gun or if its just extremely james bond

It's a pretty bad gun all around. It's low caliber so it's fairly weak, has a small mag size, isn't a great concealed carry, and isn't the most reliable. It's mainly used by James Bond because it's British. That's basically exactly why Omar calls it a showpiece.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

honestly, one of the things that remains really fresh about the wire is just showing how badly broken most cops are, even when they're trying to do the right thing.

Yeah, also how when the two useless detectives are dumped in the unit there’s no talk of them being fired for being openly drunk all day, and other members of the unit instinctively cover for them on the time sheets. Just how badly broken the dept culture had become.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Toxic Mental posted:

What part did you hate? The insanely good acting? The tense storylines? The awesome mysticism? The completely relatable post-Covid loss cults and depression?

Herc has character growth, growth into a worse and worse person.
The story lines that went nowhere and had no resolution, e.g., Holy Wayne, the entirety of the GR story, Jill just being effectively written out of S3. It's another mystery-box show with no payoff.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Shield is fascinating to me because more than any show I can imagine (ending spoilers) its ultimate resolution is completely recontextualized by subsequent real life events.

As you'll recall, Vic Mackey's story ended with the poison chalice of getting away with everything but being buried in a job where the adults in charge would never let him onto the street again...at ICE..and then Trump got elected president. Motherfucker probably ended up as Secretary of Homeland Security.

It's like if the final beat of Seinfeld in 1998 featured George taking an office job at the top of the World Trade Center.

the Armenian money train plotline ranks among some of my favourite TV ever. that and Glenn Close just running poo poo for a whole season, Jesus.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
unrelated to absolutely nothing but I’ve seen some red dwarf, it’s not bad but it’s an “ok finish you later” show. It’s on my list!!! the eternal list!!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

teen witch posted:

It’s on my list!!! the eternal list!!
oh hey someone else has one of those "might eventually do/watch before the heat death of the universe" lists! I think mine and my partner's is long enough to bridge the Bering Strait at this point

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Have you seen Friends?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dervival posted:

oh hey someone else has one of those "might eventually do/watch before the heat death of the universe" lists! I think mine and my partner's is long enough to bridge the Bering Strait at this point

My letterboxd is an eternal scroll, let alone tv shows to watch

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nooner posted:

Have you seen Friends?

pal,

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Which season of The Wire has the best version of "Way Down in the Hole"?

I like 3 or maybe 4.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

bossy lady posted:

Which season of The Wire has the best version of "Way Down in the Hole"?

I like 3 or maybe 4.

4 has that dark mid-90's feel to it

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
TW please keep posting your reactions to The Wire in this thread, I have a surprisingly large amount of friends that had never watched it so I've watched it a bunch of times with people seeing it for the first time, and I always loved seeing their thoughts and reactions and how their views of characters changed over time.

E: also agreeing with the posters that said there are no bad seasons, some are just better than others. But all the pieces matter ;)

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

SatansOnion posted:

:haibrow: the first six seasons are absolute gold, imo

can take or leave most of the rest, but early Red Dwarf is a real treat

Red dwarf falls off a cliff on fire once Rimmer leaves, it’s so painfully unfunny afterwards that the cast should all be killed.

Also don’t watch the Sarah Conner chronicles.

Bonus RD trivia! The song “true” by Spandau Ballet is about the chick that plays kochanski.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

speaking of falling off a cliff has any show every done so as hard as westworld?

i thought the first season was fantastic, then didn't even make it to the end of season 2.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thoughts on The Wire

Season 1 good
Season 2 better
Season 3 huh okay not awful
Season 4 okay I'm bored and going to watch something else now
Season 5 ???

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

speaking of falling off a cliff has any show every done so as hard as westworld?

i thought the first season was fantastic, then didn't even make it to the end of season 2.

spouse and I had that exact response to westworld, what a disappointment

actually I think we eventually squeaked it through season 2, wasn't worth it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Extra row of tits posted:

Bonus RD trivia! The song “true” by Spandau Ballet is about the chick that plays kochanski.

This is a pretty good Spandau Ballet deep dive by the guy from the Mountain Goats.

https://youtu.be/_9htmKyu89s

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Why yes I would like to connect Westworld to the Wire. Wire creator David Simon was far along in planning production for an HBO series on the three book epic “America in the King Years” about Civil Rights, and had even met with hero Harry Belafonte who was advising the production. Then Westworld came out and was so popular that his plans were cancelled & the money diverted to make Westworld season 2, dang it.

Here’s his telling of the story, worth reading: https://davidsimon.com/mr-belafonte-sir/

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I must be the only person in the world who enjoyed all of westworld.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
According to the HBO Max thumbnail, it appears that Omar….is comin

- Avon Barksdale is such a WASPy name.
- A gateaway laptop. My god.
- I too have enjoyed an inebriated Ikea shopping trip, McNulty, but Christ dude
- “Leggett”
- that scene in the hospital was fantastic and of course I only paid attention to the Badtz Maru plush in the background
- oh no Omar knows of bubbles :ohdear:
- my sister and I had the same Ikea bunkbed growing up! I don’t believe my mother was drunk when putting it together…but I can’t confirm

Apologies for the short notes, I’m dealing with this odd loving stomach bug

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I like that McNulty stealing newspapers to get plot information happens more than once.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

drat, hope you feel better soon teen witch

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Why yes I would like to connect Westworld to the Wire. Wire creator David Simon was far along in planning production for an HBO series on the three book epic “America in the King Years” about Civil Rights, and had even met with hero Harry Belafonte who was advising the production. Then Westworld came out and was so popular that his plans were cancelled & the money diverted to make Westworld season 2, dang it.

Here’s his telling of the story, worth reading: https://davidsimon.com/mr-belafonte-sir/

drat, that was a good read. Another reason to be disappointed by the subsequent seasons of Westworld.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Name of This Episode is The Wire

- well that man is very dead
- oh JESUS that’s Omar’s partner
- that pager chime sends me back
- the “it’s fine, don’t worry about it. Just don’t think about it! Nbd! That’s life” with Brandon’s murder has some boomer mental health energy. “Don’t want to be haunted by the murder you participated in don’t think about it, bing bong”
- the copper heist! the loving ANTICS. Delightful!
- Saint James McNulty, patron saint of the Very Divorced Dads.
- Jesus, that scene of Omar in the morgue. gently caress. The ball rolling away with the scream. Fuuuuuuck.
- absolutely invested in seeing Omar the rest of the season

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just wait until you go back after you finish the 5th season and understand how that "alllllll the pieces matter." quote comes back again and again.

It's so insanely genius and poetic and basically is the John 3:16 of the show.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Just wait until you go back after you finish the 5th season and understand how that "alllllll the pieces matter." quote comes back again and again.

It's so insanely genius and poetic and basically is the John 3:16 of the show.

this

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how do the pigeons matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

GolfHole posted:

how do the pigeons matter

water fresh, keeping them cool. and squeakers nesting squabs. taking care of the youngns.