Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

GolfHole posted:

how do the pigeons matter

They're a metaphor for technically free people still being tied down to only what they know in Season 2, which is a constant theme throughout the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Finished One Arrest, and normally I’d run down little trivial poo poo but goddamn Bunk. MVP of this episode, especially with the “a man must have a code” scene, the scene in the bar where he’s drunk and goes “push ‘em togetherrrr” (and featuring one of my favorite Twitty songs, nice), and his conversation with Jimmy - all of it. I really like this character more and more.

And Omar! Omar! Pointing out that no, even in the game, there are rules, and going after a regular working man is not ok.

I like that these characters are lived in and complicated. There are a few clear assholes, but the most live in shades of gray. There are no uwu cinnamon rolls here, but I do have my favorites.

Ok, I’ll add one pedantic goon note: slice soda! Wow! And we’re done

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

wait 'til you get to pit beef, another food plot point!

and again, if you like the bunk, watch treme. it's got like 10x the bunk, and 4x the lester freemon. no mcnulty though, just a really annoy flaky white dude

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Treme has likely replaced The Wire of shows I’ve been asked to watch

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

teen witch posted:

Treme has likely replaced The Wire of shows I’ve been asked to watch

it is very much a david simon show, for all the good and the slightly bad, including an uneven final season. still a good watch.

anyhow, you got a ways to go in the wire, so get wit it!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We need update TW

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I finished the first season today

It’s a lot to take in

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

has the titular wire made an appearance yet?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Where's Wallace? Where the gently caress is Wallace?

Bad Purchase posted:

has the titular wire made an appearance yet?

Yes it has:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

cool

got any pics, of the wire?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

cool

got any pics, of the wire?

Yes it is in the intro to every episode during the theme song

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oh hell yeah, thank you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

these days they probably use bluetooth or some other wireless poo poo instead of actual wires

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The Wireless Protocol

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Earwicker posted:

these days they probably use bluetooth or some other wireless poo poo instead of actual wires

sort of. they simulate a cell phone network altogether. have a bad neighbour in your building? your regular calls to your mom might be police-intercepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GolfHole posted:

sort of. they simulate a cell phone network altogether. have a bad neighbour in your building? your regular calls to your mom might be police-intercepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

well i hope the cops enjoy listening to me and my mom talking about The Bear i guess

oh yeah thats a good show too btw

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Having only just seen the thread, it’s cool to see the OP made the correct choice. I just watched it for the first time last summer, I had similarly heard nothing but good things but maybe too much, like could this old rear end show really hold up?

Yeah, it did. Depressing as gently caress but so excellently done I can’t be mad. It was especially amazing to compare how I felt about Carver, Prez, and Bodie in S1 to how I felt about them by the end of their various character arcs. And yeah, Omar is just an all time great.

Enjoy the ride, TW.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Here’s to another season of Jimmy McNulty’s Daydrinking Adventures

Also I hate Ziggy but I want his car

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You'll hate Ziggy for all of season 2 until you don't

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

I refuse to believe you but I’ll give him this: I now dislike Prez a bit less.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Toxic Mental posted:

Oh yeah when he gives us all a taste of that fat gorgeous meat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

have you watched mad men op. Because if not I would highly recommend it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Toxic Mental posted:

Objection! I hated Ziggy every second he was ever on screen. If I were to see the actor IRL the urge to feed him into a woodchipper would be irresistible even if he’s actually the sweetest, loveliest fellow in the world.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Currently at s02e10 and while I mostly like s02, Valchek and Ziggy can take a flying leap together. Legit marathoning today so that I can just be done with at least one of them.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yo. Watch Steven Sodabread's new HBOmax show Full Circle, starring CLaire Daines and Timothy Ollephant. It's about a Guyanese crime family in Queens trying to kidnap the grandson of a celebrity chef called Chef Jeff. Timothy Olyphonty plays chef Jeff's son in law and u would not believe how weird he looks without a mustache.

Also, they say scunt a lot. In the show. Scunt.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe after The Wire, because rn:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
jesus christ zig

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kntfkr posted:

jesus christ zig

Malaka

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cartoon Man posted:

Watch the Pig’s balls.
:pigsballs:

AHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh I get it HAHAHAHABHAHAHA.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

teen witch posted:

The Sopranos
Pros:
- I’ve heard it’s consistently fantastic and it really showcased James Gandolfini at his best.
- I have a horrendous schoolgirl crush on Michael Imperioli for a while now. My brain is broken but you knew that.

Cons:
- there are not as many twists and surprises left as I think everyone under the age of 60 watched the show growing up and I’m familiar with it via osmosis at this point. It was massive when I was a kid.
- if Seinfeld will make me wistful, The Sopranos would make it far, far worse.

do this one. the wire is alright but the other shows suck rear end.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Toxic Mental posted:

I like Nick & Ziggy being asked to steal chemicals & first going to the library to check what the chemicals are used for to make sure it isn’t bombs, and upon learning it’s just for cocaine it’s like “ah, sounds good!”

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i started rewatching the Wire again partly bc of this thread, tho ive been meaning to anyway. i only saw it back when it first came on. and man it's incredible how much foreshadowing and little hints of the rest of the series are there in just the very first episode.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PR3QRg4Em0

Every single line is so drat good. "Who you tellin'?"

Cadaverous motherfuckers

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Joe is always listening to late 70's/80's funk, and I respect that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
there is just so much to this show and meanwhile I’m obsessed with this scene

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ziggy’s redemption didn’t occur until Generation Kill

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

teen witch posted:

there is just so much to this show and meanwhile I’m obsessed with this scene

Also a classic scene. I love how the one stash house guy is like "Yo Omar, all due respect," actually trying to be polite because he knows how dangerous Omar is

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Brother Tadger posted:

Ziggy’s redemption didn’t occur until Generation Kill

Ziggy is simultaneously extremely unlikeable and a great character. Might take a few watches to get around to that because yeah, he really is unlikeable as gently caress lol.
Ultimately he's a skinny nerd born into a manly blue collar world he doesn't fit into, and it makes him this absolutely crazy desperate weirdo trying to force his way into some kind of respect or success.

Ziggy: Yeah I'm a regular stevedore like dad!
Frank: You're fired!

Ziggy: Yeah I can be a street smart dealer!
Frog: I uh, lost the drugs you gave me to sell lol
Cheese: I'm gonna sew your rear end in a top hat closed and keep feedin you and feedin you

Ziggy: Yeah I'm a tough guy who can beat Maui!
Maui: lol, lmao

Ziggy: Well at least I can lean into being the comic relief, check out my pet duck!
Duck: *dies*

Ziggy: At last! The perfect side hustle crime that is all mine and not being babysat by my much taller hunkier cousin who does everything right!
Glikas: ιφι, ιmαφ
Ziggy: *snaps finally*

He's a really well etched super pathetic car crash.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Ziggy: I wish I was taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

this thread got me to finally watch sopranos lol and let me tell you. goddamn. what a loving season. i get it now, i get it