Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wire next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the sopranos and the wire are two shows where people recommending them over and over again for years is actually cool because they're both so god drat good that everyone in the world should see them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sopranos may be next tbh, I don’t trust Zazz to not poof it from HBO Maxxx

(I’m keeping it until they cancel Harley Quinn ok)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you didnt like season 2 of the wire theres a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight possibility you wont like the sopranos since there are plenty of ziggys in the sopranos

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

GolfHole posted:

if you didnt like season 2 of the wire theres a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight possibility you wont like the sopranos since there are plenty of ziggys in the sopranos

christopher and ziggy crossover episode should have happened

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ziggy: HOLY poo poo did you see that loving volcano?!?!
chrissy: huh? what? *passes out*

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

cumpantry posted:

this thread got me to finally watch sopranos lol and let me tell you. goddamn. what a loving season. i get it now, i get it

It's a top 5 television show of all time for sure

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tonetta posted:

It's a top 5 television show of all time for sure

they're both great, but frequently great for some many other reasons than people realized when they came out.

tv critic circa 2003: tony soprano makes a dark compelling protagonist in a story about mob life in new jersey

anyone watching the sopranos now: holy poo poo, this is a dark comedy about middle management and your horrible coworkers.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

they're both great, but frequently great for some many other reasons than people realized when they came out.

tv critic circa 2003: tony soprano makes a dark compelling protagonist in a story about mob life in new jersey

anyone watching the sopranos now: holy poo poo, this is a dark comedy about middle management and your horrible coworkers.

the true beauty of the sopranos is that you can see yourself at any stage in life, and watching it at different times will hit completely differently

it's actually a pretty good litmus test of your mental health. ask yourself which character you are most like. then ask yourself which character you want to be like.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i used to be aj and now im artie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Davey gambling story arc is amazing at showing how cold Tony can be, I like how he really does try to deter Davey from high stakes poker but once he’s in debt zero mercy. Someone pointed out in the sopranos thread how Davey does win a hand that his strategy was high risk & something a beginner would do, helping to explain why he gets wiped out long term by experienced players.

Regarding Ziggy, agreed he’s annoying at first but is one of my favorites. Initially his life seems pretty sweet for Baltimore as he has a gig where his dad runs the union so he can’t be permanently fired. Except it’s a terrible fit & he has no skill or respect, and the decline of the dock is sped by his thieving. Frank seems to think his parenting responsibilities ended with getting Ziggy a job, and there is mention of physical abuse & his mom being zonked out on pills, showing how at first it appears admirable Frank is doing everything for the union but reflecting how that meant he was negligent at home.

He’s just as bad at drug dealing but it gets worse fast as he is away from his usual protection. Many of his actions are cargo culting as he has no goals so even when he gets money he throws it away.

His fate is made worse by hints he could have done ok if he were away from the docks & his family, like how he got real laughs with his duck (but didn’t understand why that worked) or having aptitude for computers & cameras.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Part of what makes it so good is that many characters are quite funny despite there not being an intent (from the character) to be.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mad men

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

christopher and ziggy crossover episode should have happened

Counterpoint: I have a massive crush on Michael Imperioli. Like, Sopranos era and now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kalel posted:

mad men

i really need to watch that fully. i was working at an ad agency when it first came out and while i knew it was a good show, i didn't want to spend my off time watching anyone pitching clients or talking about account exec bullshit, no matter how well written, so i watched bits and pieces of the first and second seasons while my ex had them on and caught some great moments, but i didn't really dive in

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i really need to watch that fully. i was working at an ad agency when it first came out and while i knew it was a good show, i didn't want to spend my off time watching anyone pitching clients or talking about account exec bullshit, no matter how well written, so i watched bits and pieces of the first and second seasons while my ex had them on and caught some great moments, but i didn't really dive in

same.also everyone in the advertising world didn’t get that the show was skewering them.

teen witch posted:

Counterpoint: I have a massive crush on Michael Imperioli. Like, Sopranos era and now.

he’s pretty cool, but that Voiceover he did for the many saints of Newark is dumb as gently caress

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tonetta posted:

Part of what makes it so good is that many characters are quite funny despite there not being an intent (from the character) to be.

oh yeah, one of the hallmarks of a well-written ensemble show, tbh. same with the wire- it’s a deadly serious show but gently caress if it isn’t funny

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

do it, it's incredible. there's also a very great let's watch thread in tviv by forums user "jerusalem" that does episode-by-episode recaps and it owns

NoiseAnnoys posted:

oh yeah, one of the hallmarks of a well-written ensemble show, tbh. same with the wire- it’s a deadly serious show but gently caress if it isn’t funny

I think these shows are funnier than supposed "comedies" exactly because they're not trying to be funny. The humor comes from the situations the characters find themselves in. The quickest way to suck the humor out of something is to prompt the audience to laugh.

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

NoiseAnnoys posted:

he’s pretty cool, but that Voiceover he did for the many saints of Newark is dumb as gently caress

I liked how that established Catholicism is real and hell does exist in the Sopranos universe, but they let you leave to do narration.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked how that established Catholicism is real and hell does exist in the Sopranos universe, but they let you leave to do narration.

the v.o. circle of hell is right next to the one with angry giants iirc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im coming up on the end of Justified season 6 (the last in the main series) and while there were some weak moments here and there, overall it was a great show and i really like how it shaped up and brought back so many elements from the previous seasons while also introducing some pretty cool new characters and cast members like sam elliot and that creepy boone dude. definitely excited for city primeval, which just came out and i know nothing about it

i also picked up an Elmore Leonard short story collection including the one that the whole thing is based on, it was really good, and pretty much the same as the show's pilot episode except the characters are much older in the story, Raylan has two grown boys and Boyd is a Vietnam vet.

and speaking of great writers i think i mentioned it before but watching the Wire again is reminding me, if you like that show, definitely read some of Richard Price's novels, he was a major contributor to the show and his skill dialog is nearly unparalleled imo.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 20, 2023

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Oh poo poo this is how I found out there’s a new revival series of justified. Guess it’s time to start rewatching that show.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Bunk voice: Jimmyyyyy

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

teen witch posted:

Bunk voice: Jimmyyyyy

Little boy blue

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

teen witch posted:

Michael Imperioli is and has always been utterly sexified.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Are you into season 3 yet? That's where it starts to get crazy good

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Are you into season 3 yet? That's where it starts to get crazy good

Just finished

every day this show finds new ways to break my heart. How was I rooting for loving Carver at points. Why.

Took a weekend break to watch The Great, those thoughts I need to OF tier away.

Monday we start S4 and I learn of new ways David Simon will hurt me (negative).

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

imo, carver makes the biggest jump, personally and emotionally through the seasons. prez is probably second there.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHkrZECnfs

The best "what the gently caress" ever said

Also Right chea right chea

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

teen witch posted:

Monday we start S4 and I learn of new ways David Simon will hurt me (negative).

oh you're in for a treat, season 4 is loving heartbreaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished season 4 and hooray I finally cried!!!!!! This season was the hardest by far to get through, seeing those kids REALLY got to me.

- ok, y’all right about the character development with this series. Absolute masterclass. I never liked Prez but I loooove Mr Prezbo. Gotta hand it to Carver as well, him trying to truly do right by Randy was heart wrenching.

- god those loving kids. They were around my age when it was shot, I turned 13 in 04. I was in the suburbs - none of this was even close to my everyday (to some degree). I’ve had a lot of reflection with this season and this is a huge part as to why.

- turns out the big bad in The Wire is the government and the system, however it may be applicable. The testing subplot especially, gently caress. Boy I sure hope things have changed!!!!!!!!!!

- I think Lester, Omar and Bubbles are my consistent favorites?

- I regret to inform you that good boy Jimmy McNulty is unfortunately doing it for me. He is my angle or my devil

- I want to cause psychic harm to De’Londa Brice. Her and anyone who at this point utters the phrase “the western district way”, but her a thousand times more. The rings will stay on.

- likewise with anyone being mean to Dukie.