Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“oh poo poo, you’re not joking, you actually believe that?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that’s one way to do it, but what if instead we did it in a way that isn’t extremely stupid

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This thread sucks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what the gently caress is this poo poo?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

distortion park posted:

This thread sucks

no, its good

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

no, its good

no, its bad

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

this doesnt work like that at all, you shouldve started with some better guidelines for this discussion so it can be more productive and focused, which is what is missing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

let’s all actually agree for a moment: no gently caress this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
shut up. gently caress you

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can understand how someone would find this argument superficially attractive, but after just a little thought we can see that it suffers from several abiding flaws that i am not sure can be overcome

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

debate me, rear end in a top hat

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dont sign

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

none of you have any idea what you’re talking about

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jesus loving christ this thread is full of shithead morons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well of course it is, now that you've arrived!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everything you people like is bad

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

well of course it is, now that you've arrived!

gently caress you

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

gently caress you

Armitag3 posted:

debate me, rear end in a top hat

gently caress you

Beeftweeter posted:

shut up. gently caress you

you're cool

Captain Foo posted:

let’s all actually agree for a moment: no gently caress this

gently caress you.

i'm out.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this thread isn’t actually for reflexive contrarianism

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

you're quite right, i think all the other posters here have some thinking and growing to do

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

wrong!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

forgot what thread I clicked on and was like “wow everyone is very hostile itt for some reason!!!” lol

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

why are you people still talking about this

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

polyester concept posted:

forgot what thread I clicked on and was like “wow everyone is very hostile itt for some reason!!!” lol

no one is being hostile here except you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
:gas: this poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

gently caress you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

polyester concept posted:

get out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wrong, fucko

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

where’s beep

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

actually, it is

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

:five:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

git apologist posted:

actually, it is

are you this wrong all the time or just around other people?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

where’s beep

who cares

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

where’s tori?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lowtax did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

are you this wrong all the time or just around other people?

lol you think other people exist