Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rent out your spare hard drive space so that strangers can store gigabytes of important encrypted business documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
while thinking of a startup idea i just remembered that smuckers sells a jar of peanut butter and jelly mixed together lmao

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

HamAdams posted:

while thinking of a startup idea i just remembered that smuckers sells a jar of peanut butter and jelly mixed together lmao

for people on the go

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

draft kings for leetcode

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
an online betting site where people bet if stocks will go up or down

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Tinder for finding a lawn guy. Also maybe pet sitters.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

an online betting site where people bet if stocks will go up or down

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the record-everything-button app, launched it has a single button which when pushed starts recording every available audio input, the desktop and the active window, and emits a beep on every output. it then provides a link which when accessed offers a monitoring webpage showing that everything is indeed being recorded. sell it to the ten million active podcasters as a foolproof solution to the invariable recording fuckups.

feels like this should exist already, but the number of fuckups seems too high for that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Tinder for finding a lawn guy. Also maybe pet sitters.

please don’t sexually harass The Help

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the record-everything-button app, launched it has a single button which when pushed starts recording every available audio input, the desktop and the active window, and emits a beep on every output. it then provides a link which when accessed offers a monitoring webpage showing that everything is indeed being recorded. sell it to the ten million active podcasters as a foolproof solution to the invariable recording fuckups.

feels like this should exist already, but the number of fuckups seems too high for that.

Perfect, now make each of those types of recording a separate $5/month and also send it all home to your servers for marketing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
snail mail that scans your mail and gives you a physical copy. and you can bet your sweet rear end we send it all to advertisers

also you have to rent an extra mailbox since it’s not usps

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

no wait it scans the mail, destroys it and then prints a copy at the recipients mailbox dang this is genius

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Tell nerds it works like the star trek transporter, they'll lose their loving minds over it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

audio hijack (which was once soundflower) let’s you arbitrarily record audio from any app or all apps

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bum fights but with gambling

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

rotor posted:

iLadies

iLadies? I lay deez nuts on your face

As for startup ideas, I've thought about making an app that basically does only the invite/events part of Facebook. That was genuinely useful eight years ago when everyone was on FB and thus every event was on FB. Apparently the app IRL was claiming to do that, before it turned out that the whole thing was fake. I don't actually ever want to be in a startup, though. I just want this thing to exist so there isn't a mish-mash of a few dozen different places where one might receive an invite for something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

As for startup ideas, I've thought about making an app that basically does only the invite/events part of Facebook. That was genuinely useful eight years ago when everyone was on FB and thus every event was on FB. Apparently the app IRL was claiming to do that, before it turned out that the whole thing was fake. I don't actually ever want to be in a startup, though. I just want this thing to exist so there isn't a mish-mash of a few dozen different places where one might receive an invite for something.

it's evite's time to shine again!

the core issue is someone has to pay for it and even with a time, place and theme I bet ad sales wouldn't cover the cost so we're back into selling customer data

e: funny thing when I was at evite we were working on a project to add a chat board and pictures to events but we all got laid off before we we could build the feature

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Facebook used to be a good place for events but we had to pivot off it as the cops starting getting wise and attempted to infiltrate our events thru Facebook, so us and some others went back to mailing lists while I was still active in that scene anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

Facebook used to be a good place for events but we had to pivot off it as the cops starting getting wise and attempted to infiltrate our events thru Facebook, so us and some others went back to mailing lists while I was still active in that scene anyway

this is kind of a good point, in that a good event "app" in 2023 would do well to be both more and less open than facebook. require no signup for most things (enter email for updates only) and for others to basically support a sensible level of vouching

seems a real hard space to break into, but it'd be fun if someone did.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just the exact same thing as the apple postcards app that they shut down

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

A bartering system where micro businesses can get access to celebrity influencers in exchange for their service of choice.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

A reverse Costco/Sams Club for people with small families or single people. A grocery store with smaller portions for a fraction of the cost. For single people or couples, food waste can be considerable for perishable items. Solves over consuming, waste, and over spending.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

a service that matches up younger people with older people who can pretend to be their grandparents

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger posted:

sex, but it’s with another man instead of a woman.

been thinking about this one A LOT lately. anyone know of any companies working in this space or is this just a hypothetical for now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

LanceHunter posted:

:monocle:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cash-based medical offices. Eliminate the administrative overhead and the inflating power of the insurance companies.

Real-time quoting and scheduling of services (ie- Xray) that you can keep on your profile and provide to any other cash medical provider.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

post hole digger posted:

been thinking about this one A LOT lately. anyone know of any companies working in this space or is this just a hypothetical for now

you tell us, post hole digger

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
waffle donuts. wafnuts? doffles? thats for the eggheads in marketing to decide, im the ideas guy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

waffle donuts. wafnuts? doffles? thats for the eggheads in marketing to decide, im the ideas guy

its been done. the cronut is the best donut form.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

its been done. the cronut is the best donut form.

ok ok hear me out: we just do it cheaper than the other guy. we'll make it up in volume

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no donut compromise! death before dishonor!

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
ai harassment as a service

there have been ai waifus and friends but not enemies

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

don't post small beer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gently caress the police

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

don't post small beer

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

of course they're not edible, you need to open the can first :rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

of course they're not edible, you need to open the can first :rolleyes:

california safety warnings :rolleyes:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
a company that measures the power consumption’s of the devices in your house and replaces your oversized copper wiring with thinner wires and splits the profit with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

a money-printing company that just prints its own money