Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bows1 posted:

I thought it was just ok.

I also did not understand the "cant wake up if you dont go to sleep"

edit - it may have been the person next to me in the theater who laughed literally every 5 seconds at the loudest volume i've ever heard. Missed 25% of the dialogue because of her.

The black and white scenes as a whole call a lot of things forward. The last of them ends with Aggie waking up.

The teleplay was, in my mind, his dreaming mind trying to make sense of the past week. His brain was telling him a story in his sleep to make sense of the crazy everything going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

imho, of all of Anderson's movies, this one has the most themes and ideas to dig into. It feels slightly frustrating because it resists any one reading. IMHO it's about accepting the unknowable; literally, as with the alien, but also figuratively, as in the purpose of our lives, especially after grief or trauma. What is the correct thing to do with a box full of your loved ones' ashes?... ultimately, it doesn't matter whether or not what's "right" makes perfect sense. You just bury the ashes so you can move on. Sometimes you just need to accept things (fall asleep) so you can continue living (wake up). In a way, Wes Anderson is also forcing the viewer to "just go with it"... you start in a desert town, where there are continual cops and robbers having car chases; a wriggling blue piece explodes out of a broken car; these things are obviously absurd, but you can't move on to the heavier parts of the film without first accepting some the absurd reality you're shown

To add to this, the metanarrative is in my opinion actually a dream of Augie's. A dream where things go great for him when he just goes with the flow of the dream ("I figured Augie broke the window to get his heart racing") and where things fall apart when he questions his motivations ("Why did Augie put his hand on the hot plate?"). In the penultimate dream scene, there's a time crunch. He can have a little bit of time to figure things out but then the play/real life will move on without him. His dead wife tells him to just roll with it and he does just in time to rejoin the play. What happened would not make any more sense as a play than it would as real life. After all "the imaginary drama" and "apocryphal fantasy" of the dream wouldn't make any more sense than real life.