Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved the framing devices, it gave the formality an extra level of surreality and made me think a lot about all of the things that go on in our brains, driving our actions, that we're not conscious of. This and The French Dispatch both gave me Greenaway vibes in how it depicts people being trapped by the fictional roles they create for themselves to play (also like Satre's bad-faith waiter), as well as a kind of Nabokov thing where the things that are being obscured, left out, or replaced are a significant narrative element. Then there's the fact that the fake writer of the fake play is a pseudo-Tennessee Williams, who pretty famously submerged his experiences as a gay man in plays about straight people, and his lover is playing the lead, etc etc - there's so much! And that's not even getting into the quarantine elements.

Also, it might be the funniest Wes Anderson movie I've seen. He's only gotten better at comic timing and there were very few scenes that didn't elicit at least one good laugh from the audience I saw this with (for some reason, the bit with the girls throwing all the trash out of the car really got me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I took it to be about accepting that you can't control everything in your life, or do everything by yourself, and that accepting and making peace with your own limitations/boundaries is essential to being able to move forward.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Looking forward to Wes Anderson's adaptation of My Uncle Oswald.