Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Really enjoyed it, might be my favorite Wes Anderson, I understand the bad reviews better now because it very much a movie that is a lot of meta commentary and it's direct commentary is pretty much "get it? It's meta!"

Which is sold gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Surprised by this opinion.

Ultimately it seems you agree that he basically sabotaged his own film for that message, and I have to ask, was that commentary worth no payoff? /what other Anderson flicks ya saw.

Eh, I wouldn't say sabotage since the conversation at the end with the actress gives you the payoff while re-enforcing the meta-commentary. I like that it blends both well and I enjoy how much nonsense it has in its commentary on old films, film making, and so on. The singing cowboys and the alien song are a delight. The very end is both wtf nonsense to push the idea of things just happening and you move on while also being a bunch of the characters directly telling you one of the main messages of the film. My previous favorite was Rushmore and I've seen everything except the French Dispatch. I prefer his earlier stuff generally and I felt like everything with the Darjeeling Limited and on were more style over substance while for whatever reason this felt like more of a combo of his earlier and later works into something I really enjoyed.

Also tbh the model work and puppet work really help me love it.

Edit: In regards to your earlier comment too, I think by the time we reached the climax of the play I wasn't invested in the story of the play but in the story of the movie and so that didn't bother me much.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 2, 2023