Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon seasons should feel like complete objects, even if there's the obvious intention to continue the show after. If a season only works as set up to something else's payoff, then it's a failure of a season IMO.

That said, the second season does feel fairly complete in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1744181333772140741?t=fS-gq-HKdLflbZ9Hno4QHg&s=19

Nice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/filmaroni/status/1744175282523717882?t=mJwX5BZHk04TpfyKaaj6pg&s=19

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol

It's funny this is relegated to being a Comedy. It's a stress ball with a lot of heart and some fun moments, but it's way more light hearted drama.

Just rewatched the second season, can't wait for the third season to rip.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is the realest response. Coworker lmao

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Finally caught up on every episode.

I love this show with a whole lot of my heart. I prefer Season 2 over Season 1, because it felt like such a maturation of what happened earlier, and the payoffs big and small were all worth it.

Some random observations / over-thinking things. Only did a quick skim of the thread so apologies if I repeat anything or missed any discussion:

- I visited Copenhagen in September and had no idea the show went there for an episode. Was rewinding and freeze-framing and being annoying at every shot of the city. Would love to know how they filmed it because a ton of shots of Marcus are in the busiest part of town. One of the shots of Marcus walking down the tree-lined trail, with a statue behind him, is at a Hans Christian Anderson memorial in a palace garden.

- Ritchie's wife wears a Taylor Swift shirt to Christmas dinner. She obviously passed her music tastes down, and it gives an extra sting where Ritchie apologizes to their kid in an earlier episode, saying he "can't take listening to any more Taylor Swift right now".

- the phone call where Tiffany tells Ritchie that she's getting remarried might be my favorite moment of the whole season - only behind Donna talking to Pete. The heartbreak, trying to keep his voice flat and his answers to, like, four words maximum so he doesn't break down, felt so incredibly real. Ritchie's "I love you too", with all this depth and meaning and want and need for connection...getting drowned out by the train. Meaning and connection severed / muted.

- Donna going "I've done everything for everyone all day" during Christmas dinner...also too real.

- Marcus in Copenhagen was excellent, but a lot of the follow up after that was kind of "meh". His dessert showcase was great, but asking Syd out - and then getting weirdly aggressive - was bleh. As soon as he knocked his phone over in the rush, I knew what was going to happen, too. Kind of cheap.

- I dug on Carmy being stuck in the fridge. He's trapped physically and metaphorically, his mistakes and the stuff that he ignored staring down on him constantly. Sound and color and energy from the kitchen - his element - is muffled, and he has zero idea what's actually happening unless someone yells limited info through the door. No way to vent his frustrations in any loud or meaningful way, either. He told Sugar in Season 1 that he feels trapped because he can't describe how he's feeling: the one time he does, letting it all out into the fridge door or to Tina...it backfires spectacularly.

- when Donna talks to Pete about her feelings and why she can't go into the restaurant, the song is "Hope We Can Again" by Nine Inch Nails. Interesting, because of the double-meaning of the song title, but also because the beauty of that song gets drowned out by a really distressing and high-pitched tone half-way through. Like illness and distress and trauma is taking over the song and blocking out the lovelier parts. The song itself reflecting Donna's state of mind and all of the past injuries to the psyche. The tone goes away, eventually, and things become beautiful again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1756086715247140864?t=rEkKVsm-cpP-VJ0mcXvaJQ&s=19

Oh hell yes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

yes chef

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see Richie continue to step up and Carmy continue to regress and have it come to a head when it turns out opening a fine dining restaurant in a blue collar neighbourhood is loving hard.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Almost time to close dish on Super Bowl Sunday then come home and watch Forks for the 80th time

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Watched all of S1 and S2 in like 2 weeks. What a ride. Knew absolutely nothing about it going in.

S2 definitely had a lot of growth and is very strong. But I preferred the more low key affordable everyday food atmosphere over the attempt at fine-dining. Even if everyone totally stepped up and became better people for it. I would have liked them really clean up the casual menu and concentrate on the best selling stuff and recover that way. I think the fine-dining attempt is gonna crash and burn.

Love Tina, and she was so annoying in the first few episodes in S1 with her stubborn ways, but they totally turned it around fast to show how caring she actually is, and her level up in S2 was great.

So happy for Richie. I cheered when he stepped up at the end of S2 and started doing the tickets. But also, awww someone love this man.

Carmy definitely has a lot of issues, mental illness seems to run in the family. At least it seems like he doesn't do drugs or overdrink. Getting many Bojack Horseman vibes where he just can't allow himself to be happy. I feel like at the end, even though he's a 'world-tier chef' and his connections that helped Richie and Marcus grow showed that the people there viewed him with great respect, I think he might walk away from cooking. Maybe get into art. Probably won't make good money, but at least get some inner peace.

Sydney is a very hard worker, but I agree with what Carmy said her references said. She's very ambitious, but also very green. I have no idea what she was doing in trying to make up the dishes for the menu in S2, it all just seemed fancy fine-dining for the sake of it, with no theme. Part of it is also Carmy's fault because he wasn't there to guide her. Sydney wouldn't be biting off more than she could handle if he was a proper mentor to her. Carmy essentially made her try to run a fine-dining restaurant herself from scratch, and she is not ready or knowledgeable enough for that. Richie had a one week crash course, and he kicked rear end at the tickets while Sydney was getting nowhere with it.

Marcus is kind of a B-story, I like he found a passion in pastries. I think by the end, he will leave and try to go solo doing his own small catering business.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I fully expect the fine dining to crater in the next season.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

But I preferred the more low key affordable everyday food atmosphere over the attempt at fine-dining. Even if everyone totally stepped up and became better people for it. I would have liked them really clean up the casual menu and concentrate on the best selling stuff and recover that way. I think the fine-dining attempt is gonna crash and burn.

Agree, tho I go back and forth on it. It really does feel like there should have been a season between one and two where they spend a bit more time as a quick slop shop before transitioning to the fine dining, but the jump does reinforce in-story how sudden the jump was too.

They do enough really great things, as you said, with each character with that change so it's all well and good.

Hope the fine dining crashes but S3 doesn't end on that. This show is so stressful, and S2 ended on such a stressful note, that it'd be nice to give the story a win at the end of it ala' S1 and the spaghetti scene.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The best looking food they've had is syd's low acid short ribs from S1. Imo.

GateOfD posted:

Carmy definitely has a lot of issues, mental illness seems to run in the family. At least it seems like he doesn't do drugs or overdrink. Getting many Bojack Horseman vibes where he just can't allow himself to be happy. I feel like at the end, even though he's a 'world-tier chef' and his connections that helped Richie and Marcus grow showed that the people there viewed him with great respect, I think he might walk away from cooking. Maybe get into art. Probably won't make good money, but at least get some inner peace.
Something about the show that I don't really see discussed is how Mikey has basically forced Carmy into running this place. Like by killing himself and giving the restaurant over to Carmy, Carmy's takeaway is that he has to fix the Bear or Mikey's life amounted to nothing. To me it feels really explicit but idk if I'm being crazy here.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

From his monologue at the AA meeting. He went into cooking in the first place to try to be like 'well gently caress you'
Because he wanted to be part of The Beef with Mikey, but for some reason unknown to him, Mikey wouldn't let him, and pushed him away. So he jumped into the competitive cooking world headfirst obsessively to try to prove himself, but mainly so it be like "You be begging me to come help you at the Bear, look how good I am at this"

Then Mikey died.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

And we know from the seven fishes episode that Mikey wanted to bring Carmy in to help but didn't want to expose him to whatever shady stuff he was doing to keep the Beef afloat. If circumstances were different then dumping the Beef on Carmy could've been manipulative, but here it's clearly a gift, alongside the tomato sauce money that helped Carmy pursue his dream.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's supposed to be a gift, I didnt mean to imply that Mikey was being malicious. But I think it's in effect a curse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was meant as a gift since Mikey clearly knew what Carmy wanted but he didn't know what Carmy had done to himself to achieve that goal. Just like Carmy didn't know what Mikey put himself through. Neither brother was aware of the other's internal struggles, so their efforts to reach out and connect are a double edged sword where their love is also a curse.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 12, 2024

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

No Wave posted:

Something about the show that I don't really see discussed is how Mikey has basically forced Carmy into running this place. Like by killing himself and giving the restaurant over to Carmy, Carmy's takeaway is that he has to fix the Bear or Mikey's life amounted to nothing. To me it feels really explicit but idk if I'm being crazy here.

It would tie in well with Ritchie's story arc. I really liked the beat that he had to come to terms with the idea that all the pain and work at The Beef didn't really "mean" anything and holding onto it was wrecking him. Sometimes failures and bad times just are what they are. Feels like you don't get that kind of arc too much and not handled that well. Wouldn't have guessed that Ritchie would have my favorite story of the season.

So same idea that Carmy is still trying to fix the restaurant and find meaning when moving on is the smarter idea. Like Uncle said, you can't start from hosed. They got a little more money and a better start but they're still operating with no room for error and a lot of room to fall.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

In the fishes episode, who was the guy that Mikey fork’ed? What was his relation?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

In the fishes episode, who was the guy that Mikey fork’ed? What was his relation?

That was Donna's boyfriend, Lee. The stamp printing on the spaghetti cans where Mikey hid the cash was KBL. (Jimmy) Kalinowski, (Mikey, Carmen) Berzato and (Lee) Lane. He kept the cash in the family rather than put it in a bank.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 13, 2024

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's clobberin' time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heard and resented, Reed!

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Arc Hammer posted:

Heard and resented, Reed!

gently caress guess he does wear suits now.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I just binged through the whole series.

This show is like chopping up and snorting manic anxiety and it is the last thing I need in my life but I can't look away. That said it's really starting to lose me with the pivot from sloppy sammich shop to Michelin star chasing fine dining.

I was really digging where it looked like they were going in the first season. There's a place right up the street from me that does the sandwiches at lunch and a traditional Italian dinner menu thing and it is amazing. It's doing so well that they have expanded to a second location that is slightly more upscale and skewing towards the dining side.

It's my understanding that Michelin has been moving away from only starring 18 course tasting menu places. Maybe it was a stunt, but I remember them giving a star to a guy that sells rotisserie chickens from a cart. I guess it's just an unfulfilling narrative to me if it's about Carmie taking over a unique local business and essentially steamrolling over it and recreating the same thing he was doing before.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Could be mis-remembering but I think a few folks here agreed the fine dining place isn't going to work. Given they got renewed for a fourth season, that seems somewhat likely. S3 is the restaurant getting rave reviews but not doing sustainable business, then S4 might see them cut down to some sort of hybrid joint which maybe gets them their first Michelin because of the novelty of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reality is going to slap them when they realize opening a fine dining location in a blue collar neighborhood isn't sustainable and they're omoyngoing to survive based on the sandwich window.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gangringo posted:

It's my understanding that Michelin has been moving away from only starring 18 course tasting menu places. Maybe it was a stunt, but I remember them giving a star to a guy that sells rotisserie chickens from a cart. I guess it's just an unfulfilling narrative to me if it's about Carmie taking over a unique local business and essentially steamrolling over it and recreating the same thing he was doing before.

3 star places definitely have a lot of shared commonalities (massive tasting menus, aesthetic, expectations with respect to service, etc) but there's a massive spectrum when it comes to 1 star places.

1 star places are also basically "found" by Michelin in a secret-shopper sense. They don't tell you they are coming. 2 and up are much more formal evaluation processes.

e: this channel has a bunch of what are basically first-person perspective videos of 3 star experiences, if anyone is interesting in what it's like.

https://www.youtube.com/@GourmetBGourmet/playlists

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 3, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been to a Michelin-starred “restaurant” that’s really just a stall at a food center. So one star restaurant definitely run the gamut and imo are often more innovative. The three star ones settle into a kind of routine because of how hard it is to maintain the stars.

That said if they’re chasing a star they definitely are more likely to get it by having tiny squeeze bottles, pretentious ingredients, tasting menus and a clean aesthetic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Could be mis-remembering but I think a few folks here agreed the fine dining place isn't going to work. Given they got renewed for a fourth season, that seems somewhat likely. S3 is the restaurant getting rave reviews but not doing sustainable business, then S4 might see them cut down to some sort of hybrid joint which maybe gets them their first Michelin because of the novelty of it.

I still think my prediction from last year is going to hold true:

Timby posted:

It's my last point that I think is going to rear its head in a hypothetical season 3. Carmy's getting loan-sharked to hell and back by Jimmy Cicero and it is absolutely going to come back to bite him in the rear end; there's no way The Bear is going to have $500,000 in liquid cash sitting around to pay the mob back within fifteen months.

Edit: Especially because they used all $500,000 that Cicero gave them just to get the place open. Given that this show is generally pretty accurate about the realities of the restaurant business, they're going to be operating at a deficit for a few years. (A new restaurant in downtown Chicago should be ready to lose $2-3 million in its first few years.) This is going to be a primary story in season 3, I feel; it'll be a year after this season ended, with three months left to go until the note is up, and Jimmy Cicero starts threatening to bigtime Carmy out of the property for default. And it's not like Oliver Platt will be tough to get; he lives in Chicago for eight months a year because of his supporting role on Chicago Med.

It's literal text, not subtext, that Jimmy Cicero is in the Outfit, and "uncle" or not, he's not going to smile fondly upon Carmy defaulting on a $500,000 loan, especially after Michael already screwed him out of $300,000.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 2, 2024

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Maybe my city just doesn't have the quirky starred restaurants, but as far as I know we only have two one star places and both are a multi-course tasting menu with one seating per night.

I've actually eaten at one of them several times because I used to drive limousines and the owner would let any driver eat at a table in the back of the kitchen for free. He would use it as a training opportunity for back of house staff that wanted to learn front of house, and he asked that you tip as if you were paying for dinner.

Years later now that I'm more established in life I went back for the full experience and it was of course amazing.

That experience has made me very curious what a three star experience is like, and what a one star rotisserie chicken tastes like.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Vegetable posted:

I’ve been to a Michelin-starred “restaurant” that’s really just a stall at a food center. So one star restaurant definitely run the gamut and imo are often more innovative. The three star ones settle into a kind of routine because of how hard it is to maintain the stars.

That the chicken rice place in Singapore? I mean to go to that sometime (trip was literally cancelled due to the onset of the 'rona) and am still kicking myself for missing the time they visited London for a weekend.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i've had experiences at both 1 and 3 star places. I enjoy 1 star places much more, just anecdotally. 3s are too up their own asses for my taste. Too much time and focus on the pomp and ceremony of it all, though I do respect that just because its not my bag, there's a clientele for that experience.

Also why you don't see too many 2s, because plenty of 2s used to be 3s but lost a star and in that world, if you were a 3 and are now a 2, you might as well shrivel up and disappear into the aether.

no first hand experience (I'm an enthusiast home cook but nothing further, happy to be corrected if I'm speaking out of turn), just based on the relayed experiences of a chef friend who is exec chef at a slate of restaurants and has experience in 3 star places

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

That the chicken rice place in Singapore? I mean to go to that sometime (trip was literally cancelled due to the onset of the 'rona) and am still kicking myself for missing the time they visited London for a weekend.
Yeah. It’s pretty good, I’ve had it a bunch of times, but many locals don’t think it’s worth the lines (or the post-star jacked-up prices).

They also lost their star not long after the owner decided to franchise the poo poo out of it which, hey, good for him for getting that bread. It would be a good season four plot line.