Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat that christmas episode was nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Only just watched the Claire episode yesterday. This season has way less of Kitchen Nightmares energy so far but I'm feeling like poo poo's going to go off the rails once they get closer to the ridiculous launch deadline.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is so goddamn good

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Who is this "chef". I only know Jeff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

^burtle posted:

drat that christmas episode was nuts

Oh wow you weren't kidding. They definitely went above and beyond the normal family holiday experience. Certainly explains a lot of things about the crew.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i have to admit, i wanted more in kitchen stress but i really enjoyed the one offs, Ritchie’s especially.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I can see why a lot more people will like what this season was but I kinda just wanted more low stakes kitchen comedy. Fine dining and everything about it sucks - everything about that episode old mate finds his calling in sucks. SA rages against elitism 364 days a year and then pretends waiting on cunts is cool while they shotgun the bear season 2?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:chloe:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

^burtle posted:

i have to admit, i wanted more in kitchen stress but i really enjoyed the one offs, Ritchie’s especially.

You might want to check out Hell's Kitchen

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've been going slow and not binging this, kind of savoring every bite of this delicious meal. Just watched E6 Fishes last night and drat, that was an incredible hour of television.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

^burtle posted:

Qmass posted:

I can see why a lot more people will like what this season was but I kinda just wanted more low stakes kitchen comedy. Fine dining and everything about it sucks - everything about that episode old mate finds his calling in sucks. SA rages against elitism 364 days a year and then pretends waiting on cunts is cool while they shotgun the bear season 2?

Yeah, I think this was a bit weaker than last season, although I did like some of the mini-adventures we had with some of the staff. I guess I'm just not as interested in getting a restaurant started as I was in the day-to-day stuff from last season.

And yeah, I think they tried to downplay it with that little story about how the fancy restaurant was going to give the high school teachers an amazing experience at no charge, but that kinda highlighted it even more for me -- these are extremely high-end restaurants designed to charge rich people a thousand dollars for a meal. I feel like they kinda lose something going from a neighborhood joint specializing in roast beef sandwiches to a place where they serve 5 different unidentifiable sea creatures carefully arranged on a plate.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Qmass posted:

Sports, art, music, food. the rich cunts always get first dibs.

The Ritchie character would probably agree with you. the dark view is that his ex-wife(to whom he still wears a wedding ring) telling him she is marrying someone else finally broke his spirit. He hit rock bottom and realized he needed to serve the elites better in order to survive in this world and provide for his daughter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The last episode was very "TV" in a way that the rest of the season wasn't which is why I didn't love it.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This season has to be the most abrupt tonal shift I've ever seen in a show. I have no idea why they decided to basically write an entirely different type of show for the second season. I guess its not bad for what it is, but compared to season one it is jarring for sure.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I am nearing the end of the season and I've been really enjoying it despite the shift, although I do miss the sandwich shots. It seems to me from this season that the arc is shooting for 3-5 seasons and this one is laying a lot of groundwork to tell a deeper longer story than bro takes over dead bros sandwich shop. Overall I'm still loving it, and I would say trading in Odenkirk and Mulaney in place of a restaurant episode was a good way to take the edge off. Plus the actress that played his mom did an unreal job.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Faucet Drinker posted:

Plus the actress that played his mom did an unreal job.

Yo, it took me a hot minute but that was Jamie Lee Curtis. I think the wig really threw me on that one.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo, it took me a hot minute but that was Jamie Lee Curtis. I think the wig really threw me on that one.

Yes, thank you I knew she looked familiar and I'd seen her in dozens of things but I'm terrible with names. She really conveyed top tier levels of stress

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sacrist65 posted:

The Ritchie character would probably agree with you. the dark view is that his ex-wife(to whom he still wears a wedding ring) telling him she is marrying someone else finally broke his spirit. He hit rock bottom and realized he needed to serve the elites better in order to survive in this world and provide for his daughter.

I've got mixed feelings on that. On the good side, They're clearly going for a self-respect angle. He finally becomes an asset for reasons outside of threatening customers, and actually becomes a team player. Really, really loved seeing the character develop in the last few episodes. He does look great in a suit!

But agree the "I live to serve" angle was a little sad. In show it's fine, as we see them bringing a special delight to the customers (chocolate banana + pizza bits), but it conflicts with the reality we live in where most of that will for terrible people who won't give a poo poo about it.

I think part of the issue is that they really drill that they're serving because they love to serve – not that they're working that hard because they don't want to go out of business.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I might be the odd one but interpreted all of that to be about how these are artists in their craft and that's where their passion lies, both in culinary and hospitality. They respect themselves via their trade, by pursuing something they love regardless of whether it is appreciated (re: rich customers being twats). When you view it like that it's akin to expecting a famous band to not continue striving to make good art because of unappreciative fans (read: twats) and expecting them to give up because they aren't getting the return from the audience/guests.

Similar to other artists though these characters are doing it for them, and then mantra of living to serve in my interpretation is similar to the musician analogy. The live to serve mentality isn't for the guest, despite it being for the guest, it's a skill and art like any other and excelling in the craft brings them joy and self worth like any other artist.

So then to bring the analogy back home, it would be odd for Carmie and sous to be pursuing the sandwich shop as that isn't their wheelhouse, it's like two classical trained composers putting together a Beach Boys cover band. Sure it would pay the bills, but it would also leave then empty inside.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Next season Richie achieves SSJ2 and wears a tuxedo everywhere

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Not enough restaurants stuff in this season tbh

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Faucet Drinker posted:

So then to bring the analogy back home, it would be odd for Carmie and sous to be pursuing the sandwich shop as that isn't their wheelhouse, it's like two classical trained composers putting together a Beach Boys cover band. Sure it would pay the bills, but it would also leave then empty inside.

I dunno, I hear you on this somewhat but I liked the vibe they were having back in season 1. It was a sandwich shop, but Carmy and Syd were experimenting with different things, had Marcus pushing himself to make new desserts and stuff. I kinda thought that the re-opening would be the same sort of diner -- Original Beef except, yknow, cleaner and faster and with a new menu that Carmen designed, but still selling sandwiches for under $10. I think there's a little less appeal if their restaurant is supposed to be so high-class and expensive (which tends to make it fairly exclusive). I feel like there would have been a lot of room to explore how to run a well-done midrange restaurant without having the cast feel like they're wasting their talents.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What was the window thing they were talking about setting up? I figured that would be a sandwich thing while they do the big fancy stuff in the restaurant

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, I hear you on this somewhat but I liked the vibe they were having back in season 1. It was a sandwich shop, but Carmy and Syd were experimenting with different things, had Marcus pushing himself to make new desserts and stuff. I kinda thought that the re-opening would be the same sort of diner -- Original Beef except, yknow, cleaner and faster and with a new menu that Carmen designed, but still selling sandwiches for under $10. I think there's a little less appeal if their restaurant is supposed to be so high-class and expensive (which tends to make it fairly exclusive). I feel like there would have been a lot of room to explore how to run a well-done midrange restaurant without having the cast feel like they're wasting their talents.

Fair enough. I think the reality was the business was failing on that model, the only thing holding the doors open were the coke sales out back and Michael running around debt collectors. Who knows, maybe without Sydney seeking Carmie out it would have stayed that way.

I have the last episode left of the season, and while I do feel this seasons tonal shift away from the greasy diner food shots and everything that made it such a good season, but I also don't mind this season either. It's heavily character driven which is what leads me to feel theyre shooting for a few more seasons, but mostly the take away I'm getting from this show is it isn't about food, it's about love. Love for the craft, love for quality, but especially love for one another. The restaurant is a knot that ties a lot of their stories together, which many are only in due to their love of Mike, and they continue past his death for their love for each other and their passions.

It's been a shift for sure but I'm interested to see where this story goes, and see where all this love takes the even if it's less like the first amazing season. I know it's wishy washy but it really does seem like the core theme within the show about a restaurant.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ilmucche posted:

What was the window thing they were talking about setting up? I figured that would be a sandwich thing while they do the big fancy stuff in the restaurant

Yes. The beef sandwiches are legendary so you can't not sell them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Faucet Drinker posted:

I might be the odd one but interpreted all of that to be about how these are artists in their craft and that's where their passion lies, both in culinary and hospitality. They respect themselves via their trade, by pursuing something they love regardless of whether it is appreciated (re: rich customers being twats). When you view it like that it's akin to expecting a famous band to not continue striving to make good art because of unappreciative fans (read: twats) and expecting them to give up because they aren't getting the return from the audience/guests.

Similar to other artists though these characters are doing it for them, and then mantra of living to serve in my interpretation is similar to the musician analogy. The live to serve mentality isn't for the guest, despite it being for the guest, it's a skill and art like any other and excelling in the craft brings them joy and self worth like any other artist.

I can understand it for chefs/cooks, there is high regard for being a top-tier chef and you can become a Gordon Ramsey or whatever but who the gently caress is aspiring to be a top-tier maitre d lol.

Like in a world without needing money to survive, people would still be pursuing cooking as a hobby/passion/talent/self-enrichment but no one's going to practice being a waiter.

On a completely separate note:

I found Claire to be very bizarre as a "character." She existed to do nothing but jerk off Carmie in the show emotionally (and physically) but she was basically not even a real person. Literally everything she said was some variation of "Oooh you're so good, Carmie!" "You're amazing!" "I love you!"

Even when she's breaking up with him they cut to that voicemail where she's jerking him off even more! Felt like watching an anime

koolkal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 4, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I agree that Claire was a misfire. The power dynamic in that relationship is hosed.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

koolkal posted:

I can understand it for chefs/cooks, there is high regard for being a top-tier chef and you can become a Gordon Ramsey or whatever but who the gently caress is aspiring to be a top-tier maitre d lol.

Like in a world without needing money to survive, people would still be pursuing cooking as a hobby/passion/talent/self-enrichment but no one's going to practice being a waiter.

I'm not sure about maitre ds but people do become very intense about being the best possible sommelier they can be and that's essentially a wine waiter

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I've definitely seen people in restaurants that are in love with the serving customers and making people's day etc. rather than the cooking side.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Yeah, I've met quite a few non-cooking staff who are very passionate about their role within the overall operation.

Definitely not my cup of tea, but you'll come across people in the FOH who treat it like katana folding.

More the case when it comes to wine and specializing in something that isn't quite prepared by the cooking staff or outsourced.

And granted I haven't worked at the nicest spots, but on the flip side I've never met anyone with aspirations of fine dining in the back of house. Just people who hate it and treat it as a means to an end.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 4, 2023

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

koolkal posted:

Ha, yeah I don't know I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there still got their rocks off on event hosting and such. In this case I think it's mostly Richie realizing it's one of his only available skill sets, because it clearly isn't electrical.

koolkal posted:

On a completely separate note:

I found Claire to be very bizarre as a "character." She existed to do nothing but jerk off Carmie in the show emotionally (and physically) but she was basically not even a real person. Literally everything she said was some variation of "Oooh you're so good, Carmie!" "You're amazing!" "I love you!"

Even when she's breaking up with him they cut to that voicemail where she's jerking him off even more! Felt like watching an anime

Yeah pretty over the top, the season could probably have done without her but it did highlight the decision he'd have to make between being a regular person and running The Bear. Personally I hope they leave Carmies heart out of it and leave the romance to the other characters

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This show getting people to low key stump for classism is something else

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Huh?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see the “please give me a medal for being the most woke” brigade have found this show

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I see the “please give me a medal for being the most woke” brigade have found this show

Triggered?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Just enjoy the restaurant show for what it is.

"I wear suits now" had me laughing pretty much every time

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He really does wear suits really loving well. And, again, the character being a true team player and not an obstacle is a delight to see.

Can't really defend the classism in the show. Feels inherit in a restaurant setting tho, so :shrug:

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress off or write an actual response to whatever you're commenting on. Assuming it's the class thing, that's fair game for discussion. Discuss it instead of this nonsense.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tbh I was pretty surprised by the crew going for a "standard" fancy restaurant vibe. But ultimately I felt like the big picture plot got kinda dominated by Carmy loving things up and recreating his mom's issues.

I still love the show and loved a ton of individual moments, but I'm frustrated. Maybe it's intentional. We get to see side characters get fleshed out and they all seem ready to give their absolute best and then the bosses get completely lost between Carmy being intentionally self-defeating and Sydney just straight up being unconfident. I think if season 3 is handled right it'll probably make me feel better about season 2, because it ends with a crazy amount of unresolved issues.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Good season, I enjoyed the episodes away from Carmy's restaurant more than the others though. I am kind of surprised that a restaurant in Chicago headed by the former CDC for Eleven Madison Park or whatever wouldn't have a waitlist - there are definitely people who follow that sort of thing and would be lining up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

gently caress off or write an actual response to whatever you're commenting on. Assuming it's the class thing, that's fair game for discussion. Discuss it instead of this nonsense.

Nah, shitposts like this only deserve shitposts in return

ruddiger posted: