Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

i think they all probably shouldve been a little more sympathetic to a dude that was trapped in a walk-in for an entire service, and that they probably shouldve done a single thing to get him out of that walk-in during that same service.
He had cell reception. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t have done it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Borsche69 posted:

i think they all probably shouldve been a little more sympathetic to a dude that was trapped in a walk-in for an entire service, and that they probably shouldve done a single thing to get him out of that walk-in during that same service.

I love the show and I like the symbolism the writers were going for with the walk-in cooler business but it comes off as a little lame and contrived especially after all of the amazing research they appear to have done for the rest of the show.

We see the interior release mechanism in several shots while Carmy is trapped inside but super chef never tries to use it. The latch on the outside of the door is held on with a couple regular old Phillips-head screws and they even included a scene with Fak brandishing a screwdriver only a couple minutes before. The Sawzall we see being used to cut into the door wouldn't have done anything other than ruin a multi-thousand dollar cooler door. On the other hand, the handle that Carmy was going to call an expensive "fridge" guy/refrigeration expert for can be bought on Amazon for $50.

The whole thing just comes off like no one in the writer's room had ever worked a summer job at a fast food restaurant or in any commercial food service environment where coolers like that are incredibly commonplace but they decided to build the focus of the second season's dramatic conclusion around misunderstanding how a totally ordinary and ubiquitous kitchen fixture works.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i just finished season one and is it me or is carm entirely justified in losing his poo poo at sid and marcus in the penultimate episode? sid accidentally fucks them over, but gets belligerent and refuses to accept culpability, arguing with carm instead of trying to help fix her mistake, and ends up loving stabbing richie. marcus meanwhile is repeatedly told to get cutting cakes, is well aware that the kitchen is undergoing a meltdown, and still decides to gently caress around rain manning his ultimate donut.

i’ve worked as a line cook in kitchens. i didnt think a situation could be written in which i could feel sorry for chefs. but here we are.
I think it gets talked about in the final episode but Carmy is pretty checked out for the whole season and has Syd take on a ton of responsibility without letting her have any real authority. Like yeah ultimately it's her fault but also if having the wrong box ticked is going to completely screw you maybe you should have someone else give it a once over? Really there was no fixing it via cooking better once the orders started coming in and he needed to make the call to cancel some stuff so they could catch up, but his strategy was just to shout louder and louder until the situation somehow resolved itself.

Marcus though can gently caress right off, messing around with the donut instead of doing his prep work at the start of the episode was stupid but to actually walk up to mid-meltdown Carmy with everything very obviously going to poo poo and being all 'hey look I finished the donut you asked me repeatedly to stop working on right now' was completely incomprehensible.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
What exactly did Richie do to resolve the deluge of tickets coming in? It seems like the problem was that they couldn’t cook the food fast enough and up to quality standards, not that someone couldn’t shout the orders out? He just set a 5 minute timer and everything just worked itself out? The plot mechanics of this show don’t make any sense sometimes.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Colonel Whitey posted:

What exactly did Richie do to resolve the deluge of tickets coming in? It seems like the problem was that they couldn’t cook the food fast enough and up to quality standards, not that someone couldn’t shout the orders out? He just set a 5 minute timer and everything just worked itself out? The plot mechanics of this show don’t make any sense sometimes.

Hi I'm a former maitre'd/expediter.

You don't get out of the weeds quite that quick, but it showed the difference between No Expo and a Good Expo. They're the conductor making sure the train tracks aren't jammed up with cars trying to leave when another is coming in. Sometimes the Chef running the line that night is also the Expo passing off to the captain for service.

Syd was getting caught up and freezing and stopped communicating effectively.
Food was getting cooked, it was dying in the window because it was being cooked at the wrong point, no servers were there to take the fish, etc. He prioritized the right table at the right time, held on tables that could wait, pushed up tables that were languishing to free up time.

It was primarily a narritive device to show how far Richie has come and how he fits into the new order, but it worked for me on a structural level for how a well organized kitchen just does things better and faster than one that is getting pressured too much at various spots.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m still trying to imagine a guy like Richie watching someone cut donut holes into a pizza and thinking this is cool and good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Also he observed someone doing expo for like, one shift, and became an expert

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ruddiger posted:

I’m still trying to imagine a guy like Richie watching someone cut donut holes into a pizza and thinking this is cool and good.
Loved the episode but that made me lol too. It’s so anti-Richie.

That said my personal opinion is it’s pretty cool to buy a pie and Fine Dining that poo poo up. Culinary remixing.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

They were down carmies position in the line. Sydney filled it, Richie filled for syd

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PantsBandit posted:

I agree that Claire was a misfire. The power dynamic in that relationship is hosed.

IDK I didn't feel that way........ isn't the whole internet in love with Jeremy Allen White as we speak?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

IDK I didn't feel that way........ isn't the whole internet in love with Jeremy Allen White as we speak?

He's impossibly handsome and has perfected the sad eyes wounded look. I am a hetero male and even I want to fix him

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Vegetable posted:

Loved the episode but that made me lol too. It’s so anti-Richie.

That said my personal opinion is it’s pretty cool to buy a pie and Fine Dining that poo poo up. Culinary remixing.
Culinary remixing is not cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vegetable posted:

He had cell reception. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t have done it himself.

oh lol, its been a couple weeks.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ruddiger posted:

kinda had to, that crust was burnt to poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's what happens when you pick Pequod's over Giordano's or Gino's.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

straight up brolic posted:

Culinary remixing is not cool

Just order at the local Chinese place, add some truffles and sell it at a giant markup.

To be fair, I'd assume those recycled pizza cookies were on the house.
And I can respect the notion that they couldn’t recreate the original Chicago Style pizza flair as well as the seedy place down the road. Pizza is not meant to be a gourmet food.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 11, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Borsche69 posted:

kinda had to, that crust was burnt to poo poo

That looks awful. Thin slice or gtfo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
They wanted to experience Chicago deep dish once. The same way you really want to visit a sewer system once.

Or maybe they were just being really sarcastic in their private talk
"It's such a shame that we had a reservation at this place and didn't get to experience the famous local cuisine. I hear they make pizza which is basically a tower. I reaaally want to eat this. :v:
Oh. You brought us some of that. Thanks?"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chicago deep dish owns, the only food tribalism dumber than pizza is chili

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The pizza looks great and the ring of char on the crust's edge looks crunchy and delicious

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Also he observed someone doing expo for like, one shift, and became an expert
I'm kinda ok with Richie just, realizing he's actually good at that when he never encountered a situation like that before. I think he was pretty clearly interested in the system when he saw it in action at the fancy restaurant.

Like, I know a dude with ADHD who would often seem super scatter-brained, getting distracted all the time, etc., and one time we played some party video game where we all had to remember a crazy sequence of directional movements and the dude was just an absolute god at it. Richie often seems all over the place and trying and failing to multitask and stuff, but it's possible this skill just clicked for him.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Okay, I suppose. I just wish the show let him spend a liiiiiittle bit more time in that environment to show it all sinking in. It just felt super rushed.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

he wears a suit now

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

For better or worse, this would happen IRL at a lot of places. You shelve every problem that can be put off until the rush is over.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

double negative posted:

he wears a suit now

:haibrow:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just order at the local Chinese place, add some truffles and sell it at a giant markup.

To be fair, I'd assume those recycled pizza cookies were on the house.
And I can respect the notion that they couldn’t recreate the original Chicago Style pizza flair as well as the seedy place down the road. Pizza is not meant to be a gourmet food.

Pequod's isn't seedy, it's a very hipster spot.

The hole in the wall pizza spots don't do "Chicago style" they mostly do tavern style square cut or pan style.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

The hole in the wall pizza spots don't do "Chicago style" they mostly do tavern style square cut

That is Chicago-style.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know it.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I almost didn't get through the Christmas episode because it was just too goddamned depressing to watch.

I love the show to death, but that finale was a pretty nihilistic way to end the season. Carmie just acting like he hasn't grown at all over these two seasons in a pique of soapy melodrama.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That’s actually the best character work the show has done wrt to Carmy. He is still stuck in a cycle of self-doubt and self-loathing and we find out exactly what kind of trauma he experienced that caused all that earlier in the season. I appreciate that this show doesn’t just go for a pat “all improvement is perfectly linear” type arc that a lot of people seem to expect out of their fictional characters and shows that regression is very possible, and indeed common. We even see Richie regress at the end of the episode when Carmy deliberately triggers him.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

That's a reasonable observation. It's just the optimistic part of me wishing the season had ended on a positive note instead of a negative one. And that's a REALLY unsatisfying place to end the series if it doesn't get a third season, which I don't think I would have said of the first season finale.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Carmy being locked in the freezer for the big launch is pure anxiety for anybody with a streak of micro-management in them, which is about 99% of us. The hardest part about being in a leadership role, especially when you're like Carmy and this is probably your first time really doing it properly, is being able to step back and trust your team. That they entirely succeeded without him micro-ing them will be the character development. That he acted out by destroying his relationship like a dipshit is unsurprising and disappointing, but it happens to all of us (acting out in a moment of extreme stress).

I don't think Richie regressed either. He kept adding that he loved Carm when he was shouting at him, and Richie didn't say anything that Carmy didn't deserve to hear.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

I don't think Richie regressed either. He kept adding that he loved Carm when he was shouting at him, and Richie didn't say anything that Carmy didn't deserve to hear.

Agree wholeheartedly WRT Richie. Carmy needed to be called on his bullshit, and he wouldn't have taken it from anyone else. He and Sydney have come a long way, but they don't quite have the same relationship.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I was disappointed that they were leaning into the fine dining angle, given I liked the idea of a 'greasy spoon' serving world-class food. I'm not an expert on restaurants, but I'm sure some Michelin Star places are like that.

Then I got to episode 6 and 7. Both are incredible and it almost feels as if 7's wholesomeness makes up for the pure anxiety of episode 6. The scene of Richie singing in the car is one of the most uplifting things I've ever watched.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I need to rewatch the episode to make sure but I’m pretty sure they used the original version of Love Story the first time they played it and Taylor’s Version the second time, which is an insane detail especially if they had to pay two separate parties for the rights to the song (not really sure how a situation like that works)

demostars fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 12, 2023

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think it would be kinda awesome if the fine dining concept faceplants and they have to go back to drawing board and it ends up being a reboot of The Beef but with Michelin quality food. Sub-$15 menu, but the best goddamn comfort food you can buy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I would not be surprised if this is the exact direction the show is heading, with Carm realizing that he's basically just recreated the Joel McHale hell kitchen and getting that Michelin star is 100% not worth it

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

But Sydney never had the experience and us determined to get a star, so I bet those two have a rather dramatic season again

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

For some reason Joel McHale was the perfect guy to play that dick executive chef. I think about that scene a lot. Was he based on anyone in particular from irl food world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lotta' people who've never spent 30 seconds in a walk-in ITT.