Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

carmy is American Sisyphus forever doomed to keep rolling debt up the hill only for it to all burn up in flames to start anew again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

vuk83 posted:

There was mold in the ceiling

That definitely tracks

Mob posted:

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular so no offense, I was also wondering about the cans until they found that machine that seals cans

Oh right the machine, that's the key I forgot about. Reflecting on the whole conversation I can definitely see the idea a bit more clearly for Mike if he was stashing a bit over time and canning one every month or whatever. I kept imagining someone sitting down with a manual canner and a massive pile of money slowly bundling and bagging them before opening twenty cans then resealing them. My God it's tiring just to write out

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Keyser_Soze posted:

it was except for the one can that Carmy smashed and binned I think in the pilot, hopefully a dumpster diver found and opened it.

Apparently, Jeremy Allen White confirmed in some interview that Carmy binned about 5 grand in the opening episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

a seagull posted:

I believe Bob Odenkirk was supposed to be the mom's current boyfriend.

They implied hooked up in the past but he wasn't her current boyfriend. I think the idea is that he was a childhood friend of the father's that was always around. Like him and Cicero are the last generation's Fak and Richie. He was the L in the CBL Mikey was was saving the money under in the accounting books.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 24, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Timby posted:

The tomato can thing isn't that hard to figure out. Mikey decided that his wife was worthless, so he took what money was left from Jimmy Cicero's loan and hid it in the cans so Carmy could have a shot at running the business himself, and then Mikey took his own life.

Carmy is just a terrible business manager and now he's even deeper in debt to Jimmy Cicero / the mob and the piper is coming for his due in the next season, because Cicero gets the restaurant and the real estate unless Carmy conjures up $500,000 cash in a ridiculously small timeframe.

This is literally text, it's not even subtext.

Mikey had a wife?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The thing that makes me chuckle and go 'what the actual gently caress...' is the time the one dishwasher told the crew to peel the tape off of the storage containers before it gets to them... and that is like the only time those dudes are ever heard from.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I’m more frustrated we didn’t get an update on ROIs for RBIs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
'Do I have access to $500? Yes, I am a 43 yr old man'..

Next season will have scenes from Christmas 2019 where the Faks admit they sold everything at a loss because why would baseball cards be worth anything?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Robert Facepalmer posted:

The thing that makes me chuckle and go 'what the actual gently caress...' is the time the one dishwasher told the crew to peel the tape off of the storage containers before it gets to them... and that is like the only time those dudes are ever heard from.

Where I work has a label maker that prints off these stickers that dissolve when you hit them with the dish sprayer and they should use some of Jimmy's money on one of those because my god it's helpful.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

That the Ecolab Prep n Print? Those things are great. Now if only the "dissolvable" day dots came off that easily. Whoever came up with sugar-based labels are a hero.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There's a bit of pay-off to that in the start of Season 2; when they really get going into tearing down The Beef, Richtie takes down pictures of famous people that ate there, and of them was a signed picture of Harold Ramis (and he seems especially pained to take down that one).

Oh nice, I missed that somehow.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They implied hooked up in the past but he wasn't her current boyfriend. I think the idea is that he was a childhood friend of the father's that was always around. Like him and Cicero are the last generation's Fak and Richie. He was the L in the CBL Mikey was was saving the money under in the accounting books.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

'Do I have access to $500? Yes, I am a 43 yr old man'..

Next season will have scenes from Christmas 2019 where the Faks admit they sold everything at a loss because why would baseball cards be worth anything?

They will also be just so heartbroken about it while no one else cares. I'm also wondering how many Faks there really are.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made the omelette that Syd made for sugar in episode 9 this morning for breakfast. The only thing I did different was that I didn’t have sour cream and onion chips, just regular.
Holy poo poo. The Boursin cheese does most of the heavy lifting, if I do it again I’ll probably cut back on the amount because it was really rich. (I roughly matched what they showed on screen).
I’d recommend it if you like omelettes though.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 27, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing was itching me about the BOH scenes in the finale and I just realized. The music is straight up the escape music from Super Metroid.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 28, 2023

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Finished S2 last night and I'm still mad at Sugar for inviting her batshit unstable alcoholic mother - who she hasn't even told about her pregnancy yet - to their highly stressful opening night. What the gently caress girl.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Can you imagine the drama if Sugar didn't invite her mom? She'd probably show up on principle full of righteous anger for being left off the "friends and family" guest list. As a guest, Donna can get that moment of self-reflection.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think she’d even know the dinner was happening. It was clearly a private event. She was invited because it’s the TV thing to do and the season finale was poop writing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont see how it's out if line for what they've shown us of Sugar? Victims of abuse frequently internalize the trauma as feelings of inadequacy and the magical thinking that, if they can prove themselves, then the abuse will stop and the abuser will love them back.

I mean look at the story of her nickname. She made a normal kid mistake when she was like 8, and her mother is still throwing it in her face 30 years later.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I noticed that this is on Disney Plus so I gave it a try and ended up watching the first season over the past week or so. I enjoyed it and didn’t really think too much about the plot points that bothered other people.

What DID bother me though was how Marcus and Sydney seem to have not taken any responsibility for all the poo poo they did the day they quit. Take Marcus for example, he was way behind on his work because he was loving around with the donuts (something that cost the restaurant thousands of dollars previously, guess he didn’t learn), and then is surprised and upset when Carmy doesn’t react well when the restaurant was in crisis and he was trying to get him to taste his side project. It’s like a house is on fire and the dad is running around trying to save family members and important things in the house and the middle school age son should be helping scoop up the toddler age sibling but instead stops dad in the hall to say “DAD CHECK OUT MY ART PROJECT DAD DAD DAD LOOK AT MY ART PROJECT DAD.”

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Dr.Radical posted:

What DID bother me though was how Marcus and Sydney seem to have not taken any responsibility for all the poo poo they did the day they quit. Take Marcus for example, he was way behind on his work because he was loving around with the donuts (something that cost the restaurant thousands of dollars previously, guess he didn’t learn), and then is surprised and upset when Carmy doesn’t react well when the restaurant was in crisis and he was trying to get him to taste his side project. It’s like a house is on fire and the dad is running around trying to save family members and important things in the house and the middle school age son should be helping scoop up the toddler age sibling but instead stops dad in the hall to say “DAD CHECK OUT MY ART PROJECT DAD DAD DAD LOOK AT MY ART PROJECT DAD.”

I haven't started S2 yet either, but I think it's very much deliberate - Marcus and Sydney are both genuine rising talents getting their first real chance to express themselves in the workplace under a sympathetic boss, but this has given them both unrealistic expectations about Carmy's ability to mentor them and an unrealistic belief that their passion projects should come first regardless of context.

It annoyed me too, though.

Sydney, you literally stabbed a colleague because you'd been holding a knife dangerously in the workplace while yelling that you were going to stab him! You were doing this after your boss had repeatedly asked you to focus and help him solve the crisis you'd accidentally caused! Why is Carmy the one that needs to beg forgiveness?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Terror Sweat posted:

It's really funny that they have like 10 people in the kitchen and can't handle a room of like 25.
Has it always been all-hands-on-deck, though? Granted, I binge-watched the whole show, but it felt like there were reasonable crews, usually, just exaggerated slightly because TV, except for the big days where they were doing something new like online ordering or the friends and family that closed season 2.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I made the omelette that Syd made for sugar in episode 9 this morning for breakfast. The only thing I did different was that I didn’t have sour cream and onion chips, just regular.
Holy poo poo. The Boursin cheese does most of the heavy lifting, if I do it again I’ll probably cut back on the amount because it was really rich. (I roughly matched what they showed on screen).
I’d recommend it if you like omelettes though.
This rules.

My favorite runner on this show is that no matter how stressed out they are, or even if they're at each other's throats, every kitchen worker in the place will drop everything the moment somebody says they cooked something to ask them what they made and how it was.

That's the most true-to-life poo poo I've seen. One of my best friends has been a cook for various Tom Douglas restaurants here in Seattle for as long as I've known him and he and I loving text each other our experiments and geek out about them.

I was never taught to cook when I was young and had to figure it out myself, and since about 2007, he's watched me go from the beginning stages where you basically take pre-packaged foods like frozen pizza and mac 'n cheese and gussy them up with real ingredients to being somebody who can confidently host a Thanksgiving that has everybody asking for my recipes. All the while, he'd encourage and guide me, never once being a snob about poo poo, because even Anthony Bourdain would loudly and often talk about how great Spam is.

Now I bake my own bread from a sourdough starter I grew. I save all my vegetable scraps and bones for stock. I make pizza from scratch. I haven't bought a tortilla in over a year.

First it was a way of showing my wife how much I cared about her, then when we divorced, it had to grow into an act of self-love. Cooking is one of my favorite things on the planet. My favorite memory of this past summer was the day I started this show. I just so happened to be making a ham with ham gravy that day and I loving nailed it. Cooking fucks, and geeking out about it with other people who cook feels amazing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with Chicago sandwich shop culture, but the operating hours of the restaurant never really made sense to me. It's hard to actually figure out when they run though because how many hours until open is usually used as a plot device as opposed to just being a persistent element of the show. It might also be because I binged through it and didn't catch that detail.

Also, the Christmas episode. gently caress me it was like watching my family.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

A sandwich shop that's only open for dinner is probably why the brothers restaurant failed miserably

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Moving along in my late watch through: Marcus in Copenhagen episode is very sweet and nice. It’s good to have episodes like that, they don’t have to all be pressure cookers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dr.Radical posted:

Moving along in my late watch through: Marcus in Copenhagen episode is very sweet and nice. It’s good to have episodes like that, they don’t have to all be pressure cookers.

There's just something about the way this show maintains tension that I was absolutely convinced he was going to get stabbed to death in that episode.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

The bicycle collision was pretty tense though. Black guy gets involved in a pretty serious accident at night with pasty white people who don’t understand him :shrug:

That he didn’t see the precarity of his situation and that he was so unapprehensive about helping the dude did end up being a kinda sweet testament to his angelic qualities.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Dr.Radical posted:

I noticed that this is on Disney Plus so I gave it a try and ended up watching the first season over the past week or so. I enjoyed it and didn’t really think too much about the plot points that bothered other people.

Just binged both seasons of the show over the past couple of weeks. Could not agree more that Marcus and Sydney annoyed the absolute gently caress out of me in this moment (and their complete lack of reflection about it at their get-together afterward). Carmy was being a huge rear end in a top hat too, but he gets his comeuppance and apologizes.

Anyway: I preferred season 2 to season 1. The first season was too much time in Uncut Gems land for me; I appreciated the lighter tone of the second season (and in terms of Uncut Gems land, the Christmas episode blew the 20-minute episode from the first season out of the water).

I enjoyed the Claire performance but she is underwritten; they just found the perfect actress to charm her way through it. Someone else suggested an episode from her workplace next season and I'd love to see the parallels/differences.

I'd also like a little more show and a little less tell about Carmy's abilities. If this guy is like the best chef in the world, let's have him be competent and under control in the kitchen more than like five minutes each season. I'd take a ratio of even 20% calm/80% freakout to the 5%/95% we've gotten so far.

Last thing: I'd like to get a bit more about Sugar next season. So far, what I know about her is that she's really smart, she's really nice, she's not too nice to dish out a little poo poo-talking, and she's got some mom trauma. It's not as bad as Claire but she also felt underwritten to me.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 30, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Watched both seasons over the long UK bank holiday. I think Sydney has a fair bit of arc to travel yet, maybe Marcus too although it's pretty clear what his immediate focus in S3 will be. Loved the Copenhagen episode, and the general "show don't tell" story telling like how Carmy talks about leaving water for "an invisible cat" and we see his picture with Adam Warlock at Olivia Coleman's place.

If I have a specific wish for the next season I want a flashback episode of how The Beef operated under Michael, I'd just like to see characters like Marcus and Tina interact with him. And cameos from the rest of the Community cast.

I've only just realized I've seen a bunch of Matty Matheson's YT videos.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, the Christmas episode. gently caress me it was like watching my family.
Yeah, I was raised Irish Catholic and that poo poo was way too real for me.

Terror Sweat posted:

A sandwich shop that's only open for dinner is probably why the brothers restaurant failed miserably
I don't think they were ever only open for dinner. They did lunch, then closed for a few hours, then came back for dinner. I may be misremembering, though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I was raised Irish Catholic and that poo poo was way too real for me.

I showed my wife the episode out of context just because I felt she had to see it. I've also recommended it to my siblings who haven't seen the series. I think it works despite not having the larger context of the characters. It's a fairly self-contained flashback that uses strong characterization to tell its story.

She made me turn it off halfway through because, "I lived through this once in real life at your family's house. I do not want to watch it on TV on my weekend."

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

grobbo posted:

Sydney, you literally stabbed a colleague because you'd been holding a knife dangerously in the workplace while yelling that you were going to stab him! You were doing this after your boss had repeatedly asked you to focus and help him solve the crisis you'd accidentally caused! Why is Carmy the one that needs to beg forgiveness?

The show is not particularly realistic and it was a funny moment but in the real world Sydney stabbing Richie like that would probably end her back of house career.

I work in a not particularly glamorous kitchen and there are a lot of safety issues that you just kind of roll with in there but I’d never in a million years continue to work alongside a cook who has demonstrated they’re unable to use a knife responsibly around their co-workers. You get to gently caress up and cut yourself, not your co-workers.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That’s what I figured. Similarly I’ve always wondered why people in kitchens take some pretty horrid abuse, even physical abuse as in some recent-ish articles (at a place in San Fransisco? I can’t remember exactly) have shown and I guess the answer is if you punch out a chef your fine dining career is over pretty much.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'd like to see an episode where Claire is working thru a hellish 48 hour shift as a resident dealing with major traumas and life threatening situations. Then Carm calls her in the middle of to apologize about what he said because it was just all the pressure that got to him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

She made me turn it off halfway through because, "I lived through this once in real life at your family's house. I do not want to watch it on TV on my weekend."
Oof. I'm sorry, friend-o.

Every time my ex-wife had to spend time with my family, she'd get a looooooooot more patient with me for the next month or so.

It's a hard watch, but it's one of my favorite episodes. It really captures where the damage comes from and the cycles of it. Hurt people hurt people, etc. It's this never-ending perpetual motion machine of trauma that gets passed on to each generation. It really made sense of the why of things. Why Michael was a drug addict and why Carmy is so driven to greatness in the one thing in his life over which he has a modicum of agency that has measurable benchmarks that give you high-octane dopamine hits.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'd like to see an episode where Claire is working thru a hellish 48 hour shift as a resident dealing with major traumas and life threatening situations. Then Carm calls her in the middle of to apologize about what he said because it was just all the pressure that got to him.

Maybe doctors should stop abusing themselves with self-imposed bullshit so their patients can be cared for by someone who's cognitive abilities haven't declined in the moment

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Watched both seasons over the long UK bank holiday. I think Sydney has a fair bit of arc to travel yet, maybe Marcus too although it's pretty clear what his immediate focus in S3 will be. Loved the Copenhagen episode, and the general "show don't tell" story telling like how Carmy talks about leaving water for "an invisible cat" and we see his picture with Adam Warlock at Olivia Coleman's place.

If I have a specific wish for the next season I want a flashback episode of how The Beef operated under Michael, I'd just like to see characters like Marcus and Tina interact with him. And cameos from the rest of the Community cast.

I've only just realized I've seen a bunch of Matty Matheson's YT videos.

I kind of wonder how much they can get away with using Jon Bernthal on this show. It almost felt like getting him on for the Christmas Episode was part of a package deal with JLC and Bob Odenkirk and whoever else I’m forgetting because that was a cameofest.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I kind of wonder how much they can get away with using Jon Bernthal on this show. It almost felt like getting him on for the Christmas Episode was part of a package deal with JLC and Bob Odenkirk and whoever else I’m forgetting because that was a cameofest.

I think that was Gillian Jacobs' first appearance as well. Plus Sarah Paulsen and John Mulaney.

I'm imagining Disney just delivering them all to the set in a tipper truck marked "Cameos".

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oh, Britta was in this...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's hilarious how much Hulu is advertising this show as having a bunch of famous people in it and they're almost all in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Finished season 2 today. What’s the deal with the Ebrahim? His whole thing in season two was undercooked (heh). He left the retraining his job paid for and just ghosted and then showed up without an explanation and was just given his job back.