Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He has PTSD from his time spent in Somalia in the 90s (and maybe earlier) and the rigidity of the French Brigade is a trigger for him, but he's actually not bad at the parts of his job he already knows how to do, and he's a reliable worker when he's not having flashbacks. So they stick him on the sandwich window because he can't gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Dr.Radical posted:

Finished season 2 today. What’s the deal with the Ebrahim? His whole thing in season two was undercooked (heh). He left the retraining his job paid for and just ghosted and then showed up without an explanation and was just given his job back.

I took it as: In a season that's about zeroing in on people's talent and awakening their ambition and determination, it's also totally fine to not want to progress any further and celebrate being good at the level you're currently at. He's on the sandwich window because that's what he's good at and what he wants to do, so they found a place for him in the new structure after all.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Oh, Britta was in this...

She's been to Chicago, they pronounce it baggles

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gillian Jacobs is with the showrunner, which is probably why she got the gig. I loved Community but I think she’s easily the weakest member of that wildly stacked cameo cast.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Mob posted:

She's been to Chicago, they pronounce it baggles

Beefy beefy in my tummy me so hungie

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Vegetable posted:

Gillian Jacobs is with the showrunner, which is probably why she got the gig. I loved Community but I think she’s easily the weakest member of that wildly stacked cameo cast.

To be fair, she was the uncredited voice of Tiff in Season 1, (where Ritchie makes that phone call to her) so there was a bit of a precedent for giving her the role on screen.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vegetable posted:

That's difficult for anyone. Like not for nothing Emma Stone went from Spiderman to acting across Michael Keaton, Naomi Watts, and Ed Norton. She did her best but was probably the weakest part of Birdman just in comparison.

I don't think Gillian Jacobs is a bad either. She's a good voice actress and has comedic chops. It was more that the episode tone was far from her strong suits.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I feel for the actor playing Pete, who was essentially background comic relief for two seasons and gets "Okay bud, so we need you to do a one-on-one with Jamie Lee Curtis that we're going to hang the emotional core of the finale on, you cool?"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Forgot to mention it earlier but huge LOL when the new hire line cook cuts poo poo super fast and everyone’s like “drat that’s fast” and then it turns out he’s on crack

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1701005438756814863?s=20

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I wonder how often someone yells “COUSIN!” at him now when he goes out in public.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Destrado posted:

I feel for the actor playing Pete, who was essentially background comic relief for two seasons and gets "Okay bud, so we need you to do a one-on-one with Jamie Lee Curtis that we're going to hang the emotional core of the finale on, you cool?"
If I were the actor playing Pete, I would be very happy with that!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Finally got around to finishing season 2 last night. What a ride. It took a long time for the first season to really grip me (episode 7 of course sealed the deal) but the second season is masterful; they get away with a LOT of absolutely cornball writing and delivery because all of the characters are so drat endearing despite (because of?) their flaws.

The family reunion episode was incredible. I bet the first table reads of that were spine-tingling.

As for the S2 finale: Goddrat you Carmy. I was really gunning for him and Claire - the intimate scenes between them were giving me legit butterflies in my stomach. As soon as he neglected to take her call I knew what was coming, but I had no idea how bad it was going to be. That's some Vince Gilligan level of tragic timing on her part to rush to the kitchen just in time to hear him rant about how he doesn't need anyone. And it's all so sadly relatable that I think I actually cried when she walked. Richard clocking what just happened and coming to scream at Carmy through the door was almost cathartic in a bitter way.

Heartbreaking stuff, can't wait for next season.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I thought it was weird that iirc no one told Carmy that poo poo was going fine in the kitchen as it probably would have stopped his meltdown at least a bit. “We’re doing fine without you because you trained us so well, Chef. Just chill out until the fridge guy gets here.” Maybe it would have at least stopped him from constantly punching the door and screaming.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I find it more bizarre that no one needed to get anything from the walk-in fridge on opening night...

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Nowher posted:

I find it more bizarre that no one needed to get anything from the walk-in fridge on opening night...

It was friends and family. Not the real opening

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

vuk83 posted:

It was friends and family. Not the real opening
Yep. It still stretches believably a bit, but doesn't break it, for my money. He got locked in late enough in the process that I didn't even blink at the conceit.

It passed the Spielberg Drive Home Test.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I’m mostly surprised there isn’t some OSHA-imposed emergency mechanism inside an industrial fridge to force the door open in case of this scenario.

Seems like people would probably have died this way IRL if not.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Xealot posted:

I’m mostly surprised there isn’t some OSHA-imposed emergency mechanism inside an industrial fridge to force the door open in case of this scenario.

Seems like people would probably have died this way IRL if not.

There is, and you can see the release in the season one shots. It just got removed for narrative expedience.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wasn't fixing the walk-in on carmine's list of things to do that he didn't? I might be misremembering but I thought it had come up earlier in the season

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't fixing the walk-in on carmine's list of things to do that he didn't? I might be misremembering but I thought it had come up earlier in the season

Yeah IIRC they made a huge deal of him failing to call the fridge guy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Right, but the other point is that it couldn't have failed the way it failed. There would always be a failsafe to open it from the inside regardless of what was going on with the latch.

But it's also a nerd-poo poo opinion and the scenario worked great as a built up moment in a TV show.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Eh, I disagree that it worked great specifically because it's so contrived. I don't mind stretching things a little for the sake of the story or the characters, but people that don't know poo poo about restaurants or walk-ins are like 'uhh doesn't he have a phone' 'why didn't they call the fire department' 'walk-ins don't work like that' etc. There's just too many things that feel off about the scenario that an average (not even a nerd-poo poo) viewer wouldn't question at least one of them

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah IIRC they made a huge deal of him failing to call the fridge guy

That was the entire point of the scene and why he freaked out about Claire. He was getting ridden all season about how Claire was distracting him from focusing on the restaurant and constantly forgetting to call the fridge guy and fighting anyone that said they would do it. It was Chekov's Appliance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn’t someone die from getting locked in a walk in freezer overnight at some fast food restaurant around the time the episode dropped?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Presumably a star-aspiring restaurant has a nicer walk-in freezer than a fast food restaurant

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Presumably a star-aspiring restaurant has a nicer walk-in freezer than a fast food restaurant

Yeah if The chef calls the door guy

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Right, but the other point is that it couldn't have failed the way it failed. There would always be a failsafe to open it from the inside regardless of what was going on with the latch.

But it's also a nerd-poo poo opinion and the scenario worked great as a built up moment in a TV show.
Exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE&t=5s

The important thing from a media literacy standpoint is that they built it up as a thing he was meant to do, but kept getting too distracted. He forgot a thing about his restaurant because he was infatuated and it bit him in the rear end, so he blames her. It really doesn't matter if walk-ins don't work that way.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Maybe he doesn't know how walk-ins work and doesn't realize he can free himself. Instead he blames Claire for shackling him.

It's like poetry it rhymes

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
officially renewed for S3

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-bear-renewed-season-3-fx-hulu-1235781001/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Finally was able to watch this. It’s good overall and well made and acted but definitely thought season 2 was pretty lackluster overall, I’m still up to watch more and I get wanting to broaden things a bit with more individual character focused episodes but the second season wasn’t funny in comparison and the Claire character didn’t work for me. Hoping they get a little more into the shady business loan stuff in season 3, the stressful atmosphere from S1 and a couple eps of S2 is definitely the most unique and compelling thing about the show and I think delving into the bad money situation would give the writing room more ways to perpetuate that feeling without turning into a show about kitchen crashes every week or whatever.

Syd is definitely the most compelling character on the show for me at the point they left off from.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What season 1 has going for it is that it's just better paced. It's difficult to live up to.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you like The Bear I highly recommend The Iron Claw. Jeremy Allen White is really really loving good in it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Haven't seen Iron Claw, but I want him to star in a Rom Com where he gets to smile for some parts of the movie. Feel like after The Bear the guy deserves a role that isn't making a perpetual "I'm hosed, I'm hosed, I'm hosed" face the entire time.

S2 is phenomenal, but does suffer a bit in that they jump from being an underdog sandwich shop to a fine dining establishment in like nine episodes. I love the episode where Richie get's his groove on, but the transformation does feel sudden. And it's just slightly harder to root for a place that's trying to cater to the wealthy than a local favorite of the working man.

Did actually like how the loan stuff comes up, but that it's tied to mafia connections isn't really being emphasized much. Definitely feels like the other shoe that's waiting to drop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Did actually like how the loan stuff comes up, but that it's tied to mafia connections isn't really being emphasized much. Definitely feels like the other shoe that's waiting to drop.

This was brought up in here before. We already know the consequences. If they fail, Uncle Jimmy gets the lot and sells it for a ton of money. No one is going to get a pair of cement shoes or anything. Jimmy is a fairly pragmatic person. He's not going to murder people he actually likes, but he will do what is necessary to get his money back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
I have been binging this over the last few days. It's like early seasons of Hell's Kitchen with a side order of dysfunction and it's amazing.

I am very glad that I didn't watch the Season 2 Christmas episode at Christmas because I think I'd go crazy. Just finished watching episode 7 and I started crying when Taylor Swift came on and Richie finally, finally got a win and came into his own.

Fuuuuuck the wait for Season 3 is going to be long if I finish Season 2 before the weekend is out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
And now I'm finished.

Let it Rip.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I have been binging this over the last few days. It's like early seasons of Hell's Kitchen with a side order of dysfunction and it's amazing.

I am very glad that I didn't watch the Season 2 Christmas episode at Christmas because I think I'd go crazy. Just finished watching episode 7 and I started crying when Taylor Swift came on and Richie finally, finally got a win and came into his own.

Fuuuuuck the wait for Season 3 is going to be long if I finish Season 2 before the weekend is out.

i actually rewatched the christmas episode the night before christmas and when i woke up i was weirdly calm when setting up everything for the dinner. cant recommend it to other people but its almost like i got out all of my cooking stress just by watching it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
I'll echo what others have said that I liked Season 1 better overall but Season 2 was great fun as a way to actually build on these characters.

I didn't find Claire all that interesting and she felt more like a character arc delivery vehicle for Carmy than an actual part of the show. Like the whole thing with her was to build up to his choice between success and personal happiness and once he chose the former that was it and she vanishes.

I also felt rather underwhelmed by the final look of the restaurant after the renovation. The first season I know was based on the real world Mr Beef and the set looked like an actual cramped working restaurant. The Bear fine dining by comparison looks and feels a lot more like a TV filming set, it's artificial in a "this is a TV set" kind of way rather than an intentional "Carmy and Syd stripped away the soul of The Beef for this" kind of artificial.

I feel that Season 3 will definitely show them getting hammered as it turns out opening a fine dining restaurant is loving hard and they need to embrace the sandwich shop window to keep them afloat as reservations indoors dry up. Because whatever The Beef was and whatever The Bear is, neither of them can survive longterm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think season 2 will ultimately end up more satisfying for people that can binge the series.
As much as I liked it, it is also primarily a training montage season without the denouement associated with those so I think season 3 paying it off or subverting it will make it feel more complete. At least I hope so. And 3 seasons feels about as much as they'll be able to get from the concept structurally so I am fine with it ending there.