Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Adored season one, like others was kind of bummed that they moved on from the main premise of "world class chef tries to run legendary sandwich shop, finds out it's actually really loving difficult, but improves the lives of those who meets even when he can't improve his own" to be about fine dining but I think the quality rocketed up after the Christmas episode. Chicago is my favourite city on the planet and the on-location shooting is like crack cocaine to me.

What I find so compelling about the show is it's a great portrayal of one of the most important and painful lessons I had to learn as I made my way into adult life, that a fulfilling life is about finding out what you excel at, where your place in the world is, and then just going out and loving doing it. Watching everyone start to build on their skillsets and become better and better at their stations, under the knowledge that everyone has a part to play to help the organisation achieve what it's trying to achieve, reminds me so much of my own professional journey in my field. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to pick up on what you have to offer and show that they genuinely believe in your potential and want to help you achieve it in order for someone to be better than they ever thought they could be.

The only thing that passed me by in that finale is that, as has been discussed in the thread before, it's not 100% clear to me how exactly Ritchie managed to clear the tickets. Thematically I think it tied nicely into S1E7 and the heavy hints that Ritchie might have actually been the person best-placed to steer them out of the situation if only Carm and Sidney would listen to him or at least give him a chance to help, but logically I was lost!

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

TBF I thought the scene itself was loving amazing, a perfect callback to the "just admit you need my help" moment in S1E7; both Sydney and Ritchie have grown since then in different ways, Ritchie won't start loving with something he hasn't been asked to until he's asked to but at the same time is newly confident in his abilities, and Sydney no longer feels like she has to resolve everything herself, and accepts that Ritchie, rather than her, is the best person to get them out of this.

I just remembered the little moment with Olivia Coleman's character cleaning the forks; reminded me of every poo poo leader I've ever known, the ones who act like on-the-ground stuff is beneath them, and how the great leaders acknowledge that everything is important by mucking in as and when they need to, even if it's to remind themselves that the little things are important.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

Finished season 2 today. What’s the deal with the Ebrahim? His whole thing in season two was undercooked (heh). He left the retraining his job paid for and just ghosted and then showed up without an explanation and was just given his job back.

I took it as: In a season that's about zeroing in on people's talent and awakening their ambition and determination, it's also totally fine to not want to progress any further and celebrate being good at the level you're currently at. He's on the sandwich window because that's what he's good at and what he wants to do, so they found a place for him in the new structure after all.