Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Are there people who actually keep an actually paper book planner? I feel like i always buy one with the intention of getting my hosed up life together, then inevitably use it for like 3 days then forget about it until the next time i get the itch to organize. I have adhd though so maybe this isn't typical. I do just wonder how much of the sales of planners are to people like me who probably will never use them. The people who truly need planners are probably too disorganized to... use a planner. I am that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was gonna tell you to shut the gently caress up but I just don't have space for you today. If only I didn't write in huge cool graffiti letters, I'd have so much more time

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

STABASS posted:

If only I didn't write in huge cool graffiti letters, I'd have so much more time

Literally this was my problem with planners

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Get with the times, you now download a new productivity app every time you have an existential crisis, adding to the growing list of apps you don't use on your phone. Then you can later go through your phone and delete all unused apps to get that sweet rush of productivity.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My life is covered in sticky notes.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just use microsoft excel or maybe notepad

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I actually do use a planner. Its kinda sad but because of my long term drug use I have damaged part of my brain have bad memory. I need to write things down now in order to remember them. I also have seizures and tremors. Kinda sucks.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I use my phone op

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I use a HOBONICHI as both a planner and journal

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My work used to let us order a planner and calendars out of a catalog every year but now it’s just calendars.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i have a calendar application op

and a reminders application

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mann Tracht, Un Gott Lacht, op.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Actually I do have a friend that still uses a paper planner but she’s also kind of a mess so I’m not sure how well that’s working out for her.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

why would i plan anything? I just wing it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whenever I am actively a student (an on-off thing for me for various reasons) I use one a lot. Otherwise I have a whiteboard calendar I keep outside of my bathroom so it's the first thing I see in the morning. Using a planner kicks rear end actually

I got in the habit of it when in 5th grade I kept forgetting to do assignments and my teacher sat me down and was like "Here's a little dated notebook and if you write this stuff down and check it off as you go you won't miss assignments" and it was like a god drat revelation. In high school they just gave every student a preformatted planner and those were also great

Nowadays I use a Hobonichi Techo which is real nice, although I didn't get one this year because I'm not in school rn but I will probably need one for next year. I like them a lot

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Just use microsoft excel or maybe notepad

Create plaintext spreadsheets using | - and _ in notepad

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My mom used a paper book planner until the day she died, which was in 2019. She had really REALLY bad arthritis in her fingers though, like so bad that she couldn't use the touchscreen on her iPhone, and I guess writing was marginally easier for her.

When I was in middle school we all got given book planners and we were required to use them as part of our grade. The teachers would check them periodically to see if we were actually writing poo poo down in them like homework due dates and whatnot, and they'd ding us any time we didn't have enough stuff written in them. Like OP, I also have ADHD and I pretty much never wrote anything in mine because my brain could never figure out when anything was important enough to write down.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Bullet journal, pomodoro, daily affirmations that remind you to sort out your pathetic life

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.
Todoist is a life changer

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i have in my planner to take a giant poo poo later today

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I still write my grocery list down on a scratch pad and take it with me to the store to cross off each item one by one as I get them. It just feels right to me.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Just use microsoft excel

This is how I keep a list of my posting enemies :twisted:

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I remember there was like a dude who was motivational speaker or something and his whole thing was being organized and he had a large line of day planners or some dumb thing

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've been planning to stick this foot up your rear end buddy!

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

I still write my grocery list down on a scratch pad and take it with me to the store to cross off each item one by one as I get them. It just feels right to me.

I'm not the only one!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'd never heard of hobonichi, looks interesting. I bought something called the 5 minute journal at target which seems interesting so far. It's a guided journaling exercise every morning and night to think about what you can do to make it a good day and think of affirmations for the day, and then at night thinking about what you are grateful for from that day. It also has daily motivational quotes. I've always wanted to keep a paper journal but I've never stayed consistent. The beginning of the book has you commit to doing 5 days straight and has you think about what overarching goal you have and how you can make progress daily. It's kind of cheesy but I'm willing to give it a try at least.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

My wife is covered in sticky notes.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I write down all the things I'm not doing that day in a planner and keep filling it out until I have to do something on the list.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

MrQwerty posted:

Create plaintext spreadsheets using | - and _ in notepad

lol psycho poo poo

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I'm on my third Hobonichi, I've been using them daily since early 2021. Everything about Hobonichi / the 1101 store is quality and the planners have more than paid for themselves in how I've been more organized with them. If you want to get one, September is when they start to release next year's. So you can save on shipping from Japan by ordering this year's and next. Or just order this year's from Jetpens. You will NEED to buy a cover for it as well. I don't know why some on Jetpens are so expensive, probably because covers are seasonal releases and those are older in demand designs. I still have the cover I bought in 2021 and it's still strong and in good condition after regular daily use, office commutes, travel, etc.

I went back to paper planners the first time I opened up Google Calendar and saw that they were showing relevant images with your appointments which indicates that they are parsing that data; a toothbrush with a dentist appointment for example. I'm a stationary person and Earthbound was the first RPG that I ever played when I was 7 or so - the fact that I use a daily planner made by the same guy that made Earthbound does feel weird. (Yes I do have an Earthbound cover for it.)

I still have to use Google Calendar for work. I also have my 'personal professional' email that I accept meeting requests from when other people insist on using calendar invites even though I'm not thrilled when they do. I have it setup so that my work calendar has a personal overlay of my other calendar with all the appointments showing as "Busy".

If you buy a Hobonichi, buy a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen too because that's the rabbit hole you're going down.

rivid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 30, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I. M. Gei posted:

When I was in middle school we all got given book planners and we were required to use them as part of our grade. The teachers would check them periodically to see if we were actually writing poo poo down in them like homework due dates and whatnot, and they'd ding us any time we didn't have enough stuff written in them. Like OP, I also have ADHD and I pretty much never wrote anything in mine because my brain could never figure out when anything was important enough to write down.

I had these in middle school and high school, I didn't use them as much as I should have and looking back they were actually pretty dope.

Now I just use my phone but I find it harder to keep up with. I just forget.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is the real Plandemic, OP

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TK8325 posted:

I'm not the only one!

This what it feels like… when doves cry.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

While not exactly a planner, we have a big, 24x36 glass dry-erase calendar in the kitchen. It's mostly to keep track of my wife's call days at the heart cath lab, activities, vacations, meal planning, but also random doctors appointments, kid stuff, dog stuff, etc. I kind of rolled my eyes when she asked me to order it, but it has been great keeping track of important things and just glancing at it on the way to work or whatever.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I write my plans in the sky every morning

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm pretty sure people still write stuff down in order to remember it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My ADD has rendered me literally incapable of using a physical planner and voice assistants on phones are the only way I can survive

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
"I take a lot of notes, but I never look back" has been my life motto for a while now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rivid posted:

I'm on my third Hobonichi, I've been using them daily since early 2021. Everything about Hobonichi / the 1101 store is quality and the planners have more than paid for themselves in how I've been more organized with them. If you want to get one, September is when they start to release next year's. So you can save on shipping from Japan by ordering this year's and next. Or just order this year's from Jetpens. You will NEED to buy a cover for it as well. I don't know why some on Jetpens are so expensive, probably because covers are seasonal releases and those are older in demand designs. I still have the cover I bought in 2021 and it's still strong and in good condition after regular daily use, office commutes, travel, etc.

I went back to paper planners the first time I opened up Google Calendar and saw that they were showing relevant images with your appointments which indicates that they are parsing that data; a toothbrush with a dentist appointment for example. I'm a stationary person and Earthbound was the first RPG that I ever played when I was 7 or so - the fact that I use a daily planner made by the same guy that made Earthbound does feel weird. (Yes I do have an Earthbound cover for it.)

I still have to use Google Calendar for work. I also have my 'personal professional' email that I accept meeting requests from when other people insist on using calendar invites even though I'm not thrilled when they do. I have it setup so that my work calendar has a personal overlay of my other calendar with all the appointments showing as "Busy".

If you buy a Hobonichi, buy a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen too because that's the rabbit hole you're going down.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
My wife buys a new planner for every year and spends a lot of time getting it ready. She found a nice brand a couple years ago that gives you tons of cute little stickers to put on for meetings, dates, the gym, etc.

It's really worked for her, she swears by them. Everything also goes into the family Google calendar, but the planner is the main thing.