Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i love your dogs and im glad they sniff big stuff instead of like IEDs..... i hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Hey OP did you ever use any robodogs from Boeing / iRobot because of so I may have worked on em

It won't hurt my feelings if you did and think it sucked

They were kind of a mess but still better than what Qinetiq made.

This was like 14 years ago tho

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

sudonim posted:

Hey OP did you ever use any robodogs from Boeing / iRobot because of so I may have worked on em

It won't hurt my feelings if you did and think it sucked

They were kind of a mess but still better than what Qinetiq made.

This was like 14 years ago tho

They did the PackBot, right? I played with them a few times, but they weren't standard at any of the bases I was stationed at. The "puck" control scheme was weird but very responsive once you got the hang of them, and the funky articulation was actually very nice for interrogating small packages and groundsign as you could get that gripper/camera just about anywhere without having to move the robot itself (as long as the servos/motors didn't seize up).

Worst bot had to have been the AFMSR, the Air Force-exclusive platform that was made entirely out of proprietary parts including batteries that would short out if caught in a stiff breeze, and had the most fisher-price-looking controller designed by aliens

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
so OP do you always cut the red wire

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Coolguye posted:

so OP do you always cut the red wire

punch a hole into the device with your bare hands, grab a fistful of anything that feels important, and yank it out in one fluid motion

please don't do this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

more seriously i'd love to hear about the process or pipeline you guys had for training working doggos. i've only trained for obedience myself so while i have a good idea how to handle dogs and get them to understand basic things, the more complex norms you guys have to grind into each dog are kind of a mystery to me. especially with the relatively short time period you guys have to make it happen.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I live in a kind of secluded area that is prone to drop offs and wanderers since there isn't any leash laws where I live, here are the latest editions to the pimpcasso petting crew

charlie the cat laying on some pile of camo clothes

bear resting after eating some fried eggs (I didn't have any dog food and he was skin and bones)

Caude Henry Smoot and Wolfhound being happy campers

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

They did the PackBot, right? I played with them a few times, but they weren't standard at any of the bases I was stationed at. The "puck" control scheme was weird but very responsive once you got the hang of them, and the funky articulation was actually very nice for interrogating small packages and groundsign as you could get that gripper/camera just about anywhere without having to move the robot itself (as long as the servos/motors didn't seize up).

Worst bot had to have been the AFMSR, the Air Force-exclusive platform that was made entirely out of proprietary parts including batteries that would short out if caught in a stiff breeze, and had the most fisher-price-looking controller designed by aliens

Yep the packbot. I only worked on that a little and did most of my work on its little sibling the SUGV.

You mention the controller, at some point they switched to a rugged Xbox controller to make things more intuitive for users. One of my first tasks at irobot was trying to solve a memory leak in the controller driver.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Pimpcasso posted:

I live in a kind of secluded area that is prone to drop offs and wanderers since there isn't any leash laws where I live, here are the latest editions to the pimpcasso petting crew

charlie the cat laying on some pile of camo clothes

bear resting after eating some fried eggs (I didn't have any dog food and he was skin and bones)

Caude Henry Smoot and Wolfhound being happy campers

Extremely good crew right there

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
being a bootlicking little trigger boy for decades, what a career! shame it didn't end sooner.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bit over the top there chief

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
this thread is gross as gently caress. the only sociopaths who like to kill dogs more than cops are troops. some puppywashing bullshit for sure. gbs is an embarrassment

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:ok:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Psycho Society posted:

this thread is gross as gently caress. the only sociopaths who like to kill dogs more than cops are troops. some puppywashing bullshit for sure. gbs is an embarrassment

Your name is literally Psycho Society????

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

So.. how long have you had cspam brain?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChickenHeart posted:

I got to do a lot of dogsitting for friends when they had to travel. These guys got some pancakes because why not
Because dogs can't have dairy OP.

But you've pet a lot of cute dogs.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

LividLiquid posted:

Wait what? Every dog I've ever known has loved cheese and never seemed to suffer any consequences for it. Googling seems to say that there can be lactose intolerance issues in some dogs but that otherwise the concern is mostly that it's just a bunch of calories so keep it sparing. Is there something I'm missing here?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Wait, they can't?

I was always told it was cats, are dogs lactose intolerant, too? :ohdear:

As a general aside, why do people think being mean to a single military guy is going to bring about change? I'm a literal blue- haired queer stereotype, and frankly, there's a lot better targets out there than some bro dogposting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

Wait, they can't?

I was always told it was cats, are dogs lactose intolerant, too? :ohdear:

As a general aside, why do people think being mean to a single military guy is going to bring about change? I'm a literal blue- haired queer stereotype, and frankly, there's a lot better targets out there than some bro dogposting.

dogs are not universally lactose intolerant but many are. it affects them much the same way it does humans, though. you're looking at upset tummies and runny poops, not major conflicts like if you try to feed your dog grapes (do not try to feed your dog grapes)

similarly to human lactose intolerance, some dogs that don't do well with milk will do fine with cheese or plain yogurt. my aussie shepherd is one like that - he clearly gets an upset stomach with even small amounts of milk or cream, but homeboy goes full on wallace and grommit for cheese. he stole an entire goddamn deli slice of cojack from me one time and i thought he was gonna poo poo himself inside out but naw, he was fine. still comes running every time he hears me opening the crisper drawer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Coolguye posted:

still comes running every time he hears me opening the crisper drawer.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7205267631073643822

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

ChickenHeart posted:

I got to do a lot of dogsitting for friends when they had to travel. These guys got some pancakes because why not

Why are they not eating the pancakes? Why are their snoots not on top of the pancakes the second the plates were in front of them? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Why are their snoots not on top of the pancakes the second the plates were in front of them? :confused:

They're good dogs:colbert: