Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mtthnsly
Jan 19, 2009

Let's all get fucked up and make fun of internet weirdos! Including ourselves.
Tortured By Flan
Cowboy Bebop is glorious, and I'll still listen to the soundtrack once in a while partially for nostalgia, but mostly because it's just good music. In fact, I actually bought the vinyl version of the soundtrack. It's got some good artwork on the jackets.

However, I have not seen Outlaw Star, so I do not feel properly informed for this discussion.(Cowboy Bebop wins no matter what).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You shouldn't watch anime, op. It's bad.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ve seen Cowboy Bebop and that’s it. All other anime I bounced off of hard… so if there’s anything else like that, I guess let me know

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Outlaw star builds an interesting setting but does very little with it. Worth a watch if you like sci-fi world building.

Bebop is a nicely rounded show the setting is more generic but it gives more time to explore the story and characters. It makes an excellent experience. Everyone should see it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Cowboy Bebop has an insane list of musician credits. Yoko Kanno came to US for a few sessions and hired some people who went on to become top tier players. She even got Stanley Clark for a couple tunes! And fuckin Chris Potter when he was just a kid. It'd be like booking a young Jimi Hendrix before he was famous

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
CB if only for the episode where they stage a rescue mission with a rebuilt space shuttle Columbia, which then starts to shed heat resistant tiles on re-entry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't be a shithead and watch both

Outlaw Star is the equivalent of a popcorn flick by Michael Bay, who halfway through production had an epiphany "LET'S HAVE THE SPACESHIPS FIST FIGHT." I love it.

Cowboy Bebop is just good with no qualifiers. It's a cut above popcorn stuff.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

Magnetic Rose

:yeah:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Outlaw Star starts out really strong but like half of the show is pretty dire.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Trigun

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
both god dammit but only if viewed via a digitized VHS recording on archive dot org at 3am while drunkenly eating cup noodles with an egg in it and crying a little bit

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wow morons saying Space Dandy that wasn't a loving choice you dumb fucks. Like yeah Space Dandy exists I loving know that you aren't out animaying me you stupid weebs shut the gently caress up and understand the point of the thread or just gently caress off.

Anyway Outlaw Star has a gun that shoots magic bullets and they go to the hot springs planet to get them and we get to see Aisha Clan Clan naked. Yep. Cowboy Bebop has a corgi.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

In all seriousness Bebop is better. I rewatched Outlaw Star a couple of years ago and Gene is just such an unlikable piece of poo poo. Dude tries to sexually assault a teammate while drunk and I think she ends up apologizing to him. They also fall in love later.

Outlaw Star isn't bad, it just did not age well while Bebop is timeless.

This is another anime that's better than Outlaw Star and has the best OP song of any anime. Its even better than Tank!

Edit: I kind of get why Melfina falls in love with Gene. Her choices for men are a violent drunk that sexually assaults her and a creepy stalker who literally wants them to be 2 people in one body. Like the stalker is such a creep and such a stalker Gene looks like Prince Charming in comparison.

Also yeah, it spawned a whole generation of furries before Judy Hops.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 1, 2023

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the clear winner here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TRIGUN IS NOT A SPACE ANIME. "Well actually Duck and Cover in that one episode..." NO SHUT THE gently caress UP. Now if we're going to compare Trigun to something it's going to be Sunabouzu/Desert Punk. This isn't that thread though go away this is the Outlaw Star (super cool) or Cowboy Bebop (babies first anime adorable) discussion thread.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vagabong posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the clear winner here.

Hi YOU AREN'T OUT ANIMAYING ME YOU WORTHLESS POSTER. Oh guys I watched the garbage space opera that I could not tell you what the gently caress happened. LOOK aT ME I'm A SOPhisTICated ANIMe watcher. Instead of watching garbage maybe you should be watching a show about cleaning up garbage. Space garbage. Planetes. It's good. Okay that's not fair Galactic Heroes isn't garbage but I certainly don't remember it I don't remeber if I finished or got bored. I think I watched it fairly recently too like past 10 years maybe? I don't remember. I should go watch season 2 of Birdie Wing I think it's finished.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Who cares about either in a world where Sailor Moon exists?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Who cares about Sailor Moon?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Has anyone made Spike sing Ballin by Roddy Ricch using AI yet

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i like the worlds and backgrounds and stuff in bebop, but i don't really care about hte characters or story

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Smugworth posted:

You shouldn't watch anime, op. It's bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Firefly

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Crest/Banner of the Stars

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Firefly deserved to be cancelled

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cowboy Andy would kick Malcolm Reynolds' rear end

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Cowboy Bebop movie is incredible but I could never get too into the show.

Outlaw Star is a more fun show in my opinion.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

TRIGUN IS NOT A SPACE ANIME. "Well actually Duck and Cover in that one episode..." NO SHUT THE gently caress UP. Now if we're going to compare Trigun to something it's going to be Sunabouzu/Desert Punk. This isn't that thread though go away this is the Outlaw Star (super cool) or Cowboy Bebop (babies first anime adorable) discussion thread.

OP you can't just move the goalposts when you get dunked on by a correct opinion, it makes you look... Elon Musk-y, which is gross.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cowboy Bebop is the only good anime

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mistle posted:

OP you can't just move the goalposts when you get dunked on by a correct opinion, it makes you look... Elon Musk-y, which is gross.

I didn't move any goal posts you dumb poo poo. I gave two options the moron shuckle turds decided IM GONNA STATE ANOTHER ANIME and I was like shut the gently caress up. So shut the gently caress up. If this was a thread about Trigun vs that new Trigun I haven't watched then yes talking about Trigun would make sense but it isn't so shush.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fartboy Peeslop

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Son of Rodney posted:

Cowboy Bebop is the only good anime

The Cowboy Bebop movie had a short run in one artsy cinema in Oslo while I was in the army there, so I ended up seeing it in a daytime showing with something like ten other people. That's about the edge of my comfort zone for anime in public - I can't think of any other anime movie based on a series I'd admit to paying for a ticket to.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I liked paranoia agent

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bossy lady posted:

I liked paranoia agent

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bossy lady posted:

I liked paranoia agent

I'll allow this but only because the opening has been my ringtone for a long time. Not that that it matters since nobody calls me and my phone is almost always on vibrate.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Stink Billyums posted:

Crest/Banner of the Stars

As long as you're explicitly including Banner of the Stars II you're alright with me

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

The Cowboy Bebop movie is incredible but I could never get too into the show.

What did you like about the movie that you didn't like about the show? IIRC the movie is just a two hour episode set between 17-18?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

The Cowboy Bebop movie had a short run in one artsy cinema in Oslo while I was in the army there, so I ended up seeing it in a daytime showing with something like ten other people. That's about the edge of my comfort zone for anime in public - I can't think of any other anime movie based on a series I'd admit to paying for a ticket to.

I am a very vocal Non Anime person, and I'd be first in line for an Akira IMAX showing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Vampire Panties posted:

What did you like about the movie that you didn't like about the show? IIRC the movie is just a two hour episode set between 17-18?

A lot of the episodes don't include the stuff about the show that is good, whereas the movie doesn't include much of the show that is bad (such as the main plot)