Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

I remember seeing Bebop as a highschooler on latenight adult swim, never in a linear fashion, the episodes just exuded mood in a way that made it a fave show of mine. They really are mini movies. Rewatched recently and loved it. My fave ep is probably the space trucker one.

Id like to rewatch Outlaw, it was fun but I dont remember any of it aside from the cool gun.

Trigun was cool for the world, but when I rewatched it drat it was hard to get thrkugh the part where the main guy is jus acting like a silly perv trying to grab titties drooling and poo poo.

Yall are gonna hate me for this, but Gundam Wing. World War one in space. The coolest fuckin guy with long blonde hair and a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

You are all horribly wrong, none of these series hold a candle to the excellent Ronin Mecha film series

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Renreeja posted:

I remember seeing Bebop as a highschooler on latenight adult swim, never in a linear fashion, the episodes just exuded mood in a way that made it a fave show of mine. They really are mini movies. Rewatched recently and loved it. My fave ep is probably the space trucker one.

Id like to rewatch Outlaw, it was fun but I dont remember any of it aside from the cool gun.

Trigun was cool for the world, but when I rewatched it drat it was hard to get thrkugh the part where the main guy is jus acting like a silly perv trying to grab titties drooling and poo poo.

Yall are gonna hate me for this, but Gundam Wing. World War one in space. The coolest fuckin guy with long blonde hair and a mask.

The Trigun remake so far is much more serious and way darker. Also more space ships!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Renreeja posted:

Was Vash that bad? I mostly remember him as putting on a heroic pretty face for the ladies and acting like a giggly romantic than like, creeping. I might be wrong, haven't seen it since high school.

SayHelloToParsley
Jan 14, 2018

I think my state's government watched that episode of Trigun where everyone in the town had a gun so they had no crime because if anyone caused trouble, well everyone else had a gun!

Surprise, real life doesn't work that way and now we just have more gun crime. Thanks Trigun.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Cowboy Bebop is a certified classic, I actually liked the direction they were taking the live action one but between diehard fans and Netflix's complete inability to not cancel every remotely promising show they have, it really didn't have a shot in hell at renewal :sigh:

Outlaw Star had some good music on the soundtrack but it's just a space harem at the end of the day, I mean if you're gonna watch one of those it might as well be Tenchi Muyo instead. Less horny, protag isn't an rear end in a top hat lech IIRC he's just like. Some kid related to aliens who's also rooming w a bunch of aliens; hell it's prob got more in common with Steven Universe than an actual harem

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

pixaal posted:

The Trigun remake so far is much more serious and way darker. Also more space ships!

Yeah I tell anyone who wants to get into the series just to watch the remake. The original series really spins it’s wheels for like the first half of it. Remake decided to have a story from the first episode. Im friends with a lot of animators so it was getting a lot of buzz for doing really cool things with 3D animation.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuIUh6x7aY

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Renreeja posted:

I loved this show as a kid but its takes FOREVER to get to plot points when watching it as an adult. I decided to spice it up a little by taking a hit off a bong every time they said "peace", whether by itself or in a name. Started out doable and kind of fun.

I stopped during a later episode when I was chain smoking the bong from the start of the episode, was still something like 10 hits behind, and a character had just said "peace" like 6 times in a single loving sentence. I wasn't even halfway through the episode. I gave up after that.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I decided to spice it up a little by taking a hit off a bong every time they said "peace"...

Jesus Christ. Are you sure every moment since then hasn't been a Jacob's Ladder esq hallucination?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
But to answer the question, if I had to choose between the two and no other options, I'd probably have to give it to Cowboy Bebop.

Unfortunately a ton of extremely religious nutjobs tried to ruin anime back in the day by extolling "But THIS anime is Jesus-approved and not satanic at all" and that list was extremely short, as it included CB and Trigun and everything else was heathen trash that deserved derision.

Duck and Cover posted:

What scale of model train is your favorite? I like Z scale more trains in the same amount of space! CHOO CHOOO!

Space anime and trains? We going on a derail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-b_iNrQaQ

Maybe not the best anime space train, but extremely relevant.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

notes to self: sit down and watch Cowboy Bebop properly, because I like all the bits I've seen of it. also maybe that LoGH link I picked up itt

anyone else familiar with Kenny Lauderdale's YT channel? I've picked up a couple of great recommendations thence, even if they're not all directly applicable to discussion itt. dude makes a good case for some oddball gems, and explains in depth the failings of some notorious stinkers in the world of Japanese animation

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
That Netflix re-make really hammered home how stupid of a character Vicious is. The anime really had the right idea of "the less you know about this katana guy, the better".

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The Netflix series turned Vicious into a real character and I think that's where they lost the weebs.

Well, that and the blatant racist freakout when they announced the casting and dared to make Jet Black black.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jet has always been black, tho?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Outlaw Star is a harem anime where women boob boobily through space. It has an onsen episode. It is anime trash. Now, I'm a big fan of anime trash, but let's at least be honest here.

Outlaw Star has a spin-off show, and the main selling point is the size of the tits of the teenage main character's tits:
https://youtu.be/DpdO0fM5jCc

I change my vote to Outlaw Star.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

I loved this show as a kid but its takes FOREVER to get to plot points when watching it as an adult. I decided to spice it up a little by taking a hit off a bong every time they said "peace", whether by itself or in a name. Started out doable and kind of fun.

I stopped during a later episode when I was chain smoking the bong from the start of the episode, was still something like 10 hits behind, and a character had just said "peace" like 6 times in a single loving sentence. I wasn't even halfway through the episode. I gave up after that.

Hahahaha I specifically remember as a kid being kindof confused at the plot and wondering why the hell they went on about peace and pacifism so much, also Peacecraft being the family name of the siblings. Gah you mustve been trainwrecked.

Extra Large Marge posted:

That Netflix re-make really hammered home how stupid of a character Vicious is. The anime really had the right idea of "the less you know about this katana guy, the better".

I enjoyed the netflix show, but kindof made the mistake to watch the OG after that. Just the first ep of the cartoon the spaceship chase scene is so cinematic and dynamic it wouldve blown the budget to recreate. The live show made a big mistake with Vicious, the blonde girl too it just all rang hollow.

It led me to wonder how the gently caress did they make the original show, how did they make it so good when noone even knew if it would work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mustafa Shakir is a fantastic Jet, just spot on.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the big secret about cowboy bebop is it steals unabashedly from great films. and I don’t think that’s something to be ashamed of, all art is theft.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

When you do it with class it's called an homage, and Cowboy Bebop has so much class.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grab Im Moor posted:

Anybody remember Cobra?

I worried about cobras a lot when I was 5.

SayHelloToParsley posted:

I think my state's government watched that episode of Trigun where everyone in the town had a gun so they had no crime because if anyone caused trouble, well everyone else had a gun!

Surprise, real life doesn't work that way and now we just have more gun crime. Thanks Trigun.

They missed the central premise of Trigun, which was that everyone has three guns.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 4, 2023

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9e_WIoJJnI

CB obvs

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Jet has always been black, tho?

That's what I thought, too, I always read him as a black guy, as did many of my friends.

What I'm mad about is that the actor that played Jet is honestly the hottest guy in the show. Idk why they made Jet so handsome, but I'm glad they did.

I actually didn't mind fleshing out his backstory more, it was decent, and much more compelling than Vicious nonsense.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean the whole point of Vicious is there's nothing to know about him. He's a malignant ghost from the past best left alone and forgotten

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

jet's hair is straight, he's paler than spike and has a pointy nose, so i doubt he was drawn to be black initially but his VA was black so it tilted that way. it's anime so the drawings are ambiguous. spike was supposed to be jewish or something. i think the point was they're all a mix cos it's in the future and everything's a mix.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Das Boo posted:

Was Vash that bad? I mostly remember him as putting on a heroic pretty face for the ladies and acting like a giggly romantic than like, creeping. I might be wrong, haven't seen it since high school.

I think that's right. There was that scene where the people reward him with a pair of hotties for saving their town, and Vash pretends to be passed-out drunk so he can turn them down without hurting their feelings.

Meanwhile episode one Gene gets a bounty reward and immediately blows it in a brothel, lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean the whole point of Vicious is there's nothing to know about him. He's a malignant ghost from the past best left alone and forgotten

yeah, the whole point of cowboy bebop is that getting fixated on your traumatic past is bad and leads to bad things.

also the secondary point is that the french new wave is cool as poo poo and everyone should watch elevator to the gallows and pierrot le fou.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I feel bad for a lot of people involved in the Netflix Bebop adaptation. Because you can see that they really tried their best. The set designers and costume teams, most of the actors. The writing team though, they poo poo the bed for everyone by trying to turn Viscous and Julia into front and center characters. The original show was at its best imo when the episodes served as an isolated vignette into the characters lives.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I think that's right. There was that scene where the people reward him with a pair of hotties for saving their town, and Vash pretends to be passed-out drunk so he can turn them down without hurting their feelings.

I always figured Vash being a creepy pervert was just a front since whenever he gets a chance to follow through on it he finds some way to not.

With Bebop I was really glad they didn't try to do a romance between Faye and Spike or Jet. They all obviously care about each other by the end but for an anime it is surprisingly not very horny. Of course during the episode when Spike confronts Viscious for the first time the animators went hog wild on Faye's boob physics and there are plenty of other horny moments, just none between the crew members and not as many as one would expect.

And as others have pointed out Outlaw Star is VERY horny, even to the point of being uncomfortable. I'm including Gene's supplier Fred(?) too since he won't stop trying to gently caress Gene at every opportunity.

Edit: In terms of trans issues Bebop and Outlaw were both ok? Bebop is obviously better since they have Ed who I'm pretty sure is a girl but its still fairly ambiguous and doesn't really matter. Outlaw did have the episode where Gene dressed as a woman for a wrestling match and there didn't seem to be too many jokes about it. Hell, I'm pretty sure Gene loses to a woman and instead of getting angry is relieved he doesn't have to do this anymore. Then again I haven't seen Outlaw in years so I might be wrong.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DicktheCat posted:

That's what I thought, too, I always read him as a black guy, as did many of my friends.

What I'm mad about is that the actor that played Jet is honestly the hottest guy in the show. Idk why they made Jet so handsome, but I'm glad they did.

weird, i never heard anyone complain that jet was played by a black dude. i always heard it as jet and spike were the only good casting choices in the entire show, and i was inclined to agree

limp_cheese posted:

Edit: In terms of trans issues Bebop and Outlaw were both ok? Bebop is obviously better since they have Ed who I'm pretty sure is a girl but its still fairly ambiguous and doesn't really matter.

iirc cowboy bebop also had the two-parter, Space Lion(?), about the soldier who involuntarily became a hermaphrodite from exposure to chemical weapons during the mars wars or whatever

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 4, 2023

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Black Lagoon!

Seriously, though... it's obviously Cowboy Bebop.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Fur20 posted:

weird, i never heard anyone complain that jet was
iirc cowboy bebop also had the two-parter, Space Lion(?), about the soldier who involuntarily became a hermaphrodite from exposure to chemical weapons during the mars wars or whatever

Jupiter Jazz I and II, yeah. I've only ever watched the dub, but I believe the only effect was Gren growing breasts due to hormone treatments in response to chemical experiments during the war. They really didn't go much into it, though, beyond Gren's disguise as a woman to sneak up on Vicious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Turning Gren from a serious character who is a visual metaphor for "war changes you in ways you aren't ready for but still have to live with" to "sassy queer sidekick" was one of Netflix's worst fuckups.

Not nearly as bad as making Vicious a major character, but bad.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Bebop is cool and I'll rewatch every few years

I haven't seen outlaw since its first English debut in ???

I remember liking it but I completely forget it exists until it's mentioned.

I thought Trigun was cool when I was lucky to see it, and bought the Dark Horse hardcover editions in like 2015 and was absolutely baffled how it was nothing like the show I'd watched.

Still got to show everyone in 9th grade how a plant gives birth though, so :hfive:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zerbin7 posted:

Black Lagoon!

That's another good one but it gets hosed up at times.

It does have some amazing characters, even the ones that barely show up. Wizard being the stand out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Are there multiple different translation versions for any of the shows that were from that era worth knowing about? I feel like that was when funimation and other companies were rewriting entire chunks of things for various reasons

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

vs

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

If you whistle "Go Go Cactus Man" perfectly, a cowboy in a white hat will ride up to you wherever you are(even in a bathroom!) and yeehaw at you.

It's not easy to do, but so worth it :allears:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

i remember Broly

super saiyan prolly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mistle posted:

If you whistle "Go Go Cactus Man" perfectly, a cowboy in a white hat will ride up to you wherever you are(even in a bathroom!)

especially in a bathroom