Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't read your post OP but you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
OP really hates people who are depressed, it's kind of impressive.

Yeah, you see the state of the world and it gets to you and it makes you depressed and helpless? gently caress you! You lazy, ignorant piece of poo poo!

Take that doomers :smug:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

posting as therapy is dumb as hell.

anyhow, back to rad doom metal riffs. i think st. vitus is criminally underrated.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Counted posted:

I don't know how to react to all the things likely to turn the next few decades into a shitshow, but I do know that the r/collapse subreddit is a good example of how NOT to be about it

I don't know if any of you have been on there before, but finding them during the last debt ceiling fight was a trip, like they thought global economic collapse was a month away and downvoted anyone saying it'd be fixed

Anyone going all in on their predictions would have spikes they glued to their car Mad Max style and have gone deep inside a silo, before emerging months later to do a supply raid: "Wait, the global economic collapse didn't happen last month? poo poo."

The collapse subreddit is deranged.

There is a thread where people post signs of collapse they see in day to day life. It's basically countless posts of ' Saw some cracked concrete on the sidewalk... Collapse is Imminent!'

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nowher posted:

There is a thread where people post signs of collapse they see in day to day life. It's basically countless posts of ' Saw some cracked concrete on the sidewalk... Collapse is Imminent!'

How the hell can you make that subreddit and call it The Collapse instead of The Decline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFVMkTWaBw

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

OP really hates people who are depressed, it's kind of impressive.

Yeah, you see the state of the world and it gets to you and it makes you depressed and helpless? gently caress you! You lazy, ignorant piece of poo poo!

Take that doomers :smug:

Nah it's 1000% a feature of avoiding coping with clinical depression to rationalise "if the world really is that bad then this is the correct response, i may want to die but at least I'm Right"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I guess everything is going to be ok after all! Thank you op for changing my mind.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Someone had a few too many wine coolers 🤣🤣🤣

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i didnt read your post op but doomers are just looking to escape because their normal life is even more immiserated than being instakilled in the apocalypse

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Some people spend all day scrolling social media, reading about events that they can in no way control, becoming deluded as to the impact issues continents over have on their own lives while actively ignoring things that can be done at a scale they do have control over as a coping mechanism for their lovely lives.

Who are we to tell them to stop using the dopamine draining machine?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah it's 1000% a feature of avoiding coping with clinical depression to rationalise "if the world really is that bad then this is the correct response, i may want to die but at least I'm Right"

No. Concluding that we're hosed is right. Getting depressed about something that you'll never change is the mistake. I literally learned this in therapy and treatment.

To illustrate, people described the problems of the present day with some accuracy in the 90s. These people were universally considered downers. But they were right. The downers of today will probably also be proven right. But these are the good times, don't waste them. They're all you have left and one horrible day you'll long for the simple problems of current times. :blessed:

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 2, 2023

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
so literally the serenity prayer?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah therapy is actually fairly corny but it does work.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

ElectricSheep posted:

that's always been the nugget of 12 steps that seemed useful to me, but it's not really original. just some simple emotional wisdom.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Let's check in on how climate change and its effects are shaking out with some plots comparing 2023 to previous years:

Antarctic sea ice extent:

North Atlantic sea surface temperature:

Canadian wildfire radiative potential (a measure of integrated intensity*area):

Lastly, active weather advisories from a few days ago:

People get so upset when you tell them how bad climate change is, lol. This thread is a case in point. I have a PhD in a field closely allied to climatology, and I can tell you its bad. Much worse than scientists thought was ever possible a few years ago. Denialism is not healthy, because the contradictions between your beliefs and realities will eat at you. That leads to bad coping mechanisms such as posting this thread.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 2, 2023

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

That’s just what big meteorology wants us to think

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

People get so upset when you tell them how bad climate change is, lol. This thread is a case in point. I have a PhD in a field closely allied to climatology, and I can tell you its bad. Much worse than scientists thought was ever possible a few years ago. Denialism is not healthy, because the contradictions between your beliefs and realities will eat at you. That leads to bad coping mechanisms such as posting this thread.

The problem is that people - like in this post - can't tell the difference between denial of facts and refusal to wallow in despair all day. It's really sad to see people succumb to this sort of brain rot, congregating around grief but scoffing at the idea of trying to improve the world. They see any notion of being happy as sticking your head in the sand when it is very much the opposite.

It is incredibly unhealthy to spend your days reinforcing each other's sadness in some of these endless megathreads, and then getting mad that others won't join in. I know from experience that this is a point that won't get across and any suggestion that it is they who have the wrong perspective will get rejected out of hand. That's life. No need obsess about it.

Needless to say, the OP is correct. Good on them for posting this thread.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Beeswax posted:

The problem is that people - like in this post - can't tell the difference between denial of facts and refusal to wallow in despair all day. It's really sad to see people succumb to this sort of brain rot, congregating around grief but scoffing at the idea of trying to improve the world. They see any notion of being happy as sticking your head in the sand when it is very much the opposite.

It is incredibly unhealthy to spend your days reinforcing each other's sadness in some of these endless megathreads, and then getting mad that others won't join in. I know from experience that this is a point that won't get across and any suggestion that it is they who have the wrong perspective will get rejected out of hand. That's life. No need obsess about it.

Needless to say, the OP is correct. Good on them for posting this thread.
No sorry OP's a dumbass. The biosphere thread is the most soberly accurate climate thread on these forums. People are projecting way too much about posters' mental state there. Yeah, this stuff is grim, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it. Just don't look at it if it's so upsetting to you, instead of this dumb concern-trolling garbage.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Being aware of how bad things are and how likely things are going to get much much worse isn't some crazy removed from reality idea lmao. Also I don't think anybody here's advocating to do nothing and wallow in self pity.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 2, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Confusedslight posted:

Being aware of how bad things are and how likely things are going to get much much worse isn't some crazy removed from reality idea lmao. Also I don't think anybody here's advocating to do nothing and wallow in self pity.

There are several threads on these very forums dedicated solely to this exact thing.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Not a thread I have come across.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Go outside. Touch grass"

- Elon Musk

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mad Hamish posted:

There are several threads on these very forums dedicated solely to this exact thing.
Care to share with the class these examples of threads dedicated solely to advocating doing nothing and wallowing in self-pity? I'm guessing you'll show some out-of-context post, but we both know you're just concern trolling.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 2, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

cat botherer posted:

That leads to bad coping mechanisms such as posting this thread.

good coping mechanisms are

• being sad all day
  • staying inside
  • consuming only information about impending collapse
  • deifying impending collapse
  • finding like-minded individuals who support and strengthen your beliefs

can't believe i was born in the first generation that was going to die. drat.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can't read any of these posts on LSBB's desert island

The coconuts are pretty good here

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

i thought it was a dessert island!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

good coping mechanisms are

• being sad all day
  • staying inside
  • consuming only information about impending collapse
  • deifying impending collapse
  • finding like-minded individuals who support and strengthen your beliefs

can't believe i was born in the first generation that was going to die. drat.
An even better coping mechanism is to make annoying posts imagining what people talking about climate change have going on in their lives.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Being depressed is gross please stop doing it in front of me

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

cat botherer posted:

An even better coping mechanism is to make annoying posts imagining what people talking about climate change have going on in their lives.

drat. got me.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

cat botherer posted:

Let's check in on how climate change and its effects are shaking out with some plots comparing 2023 to previous years:

Antarctic sea ice extent:

North Atlantic sea surface temperature:

Canadian wildfire radiative potential (a measure of integrated intensity*area):

Lastly, active weather advisories from a few days ago:

didnt read

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Ever?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

[*] deifying impending collapse

care to share some practical household tips for how to "deify" impending collapse?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Nowher posted:

Lol this would make for a good thread

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cat botherer posted:

No sorry OP's a dumbass. The biosphere thread is the most soberly accurate climate thread on these forums. People are projecting way too much about posters' mental state there. Yeah, this stuff is grim, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it. Just don't look at it if it's so upsetting to you, instead of this dumb concern-trolling garbage.

Beeswax posted:

The problem is that people - like in this post - can't tell the difference between denial of facts and refusal to wallow in despair all day.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

frumpykvetchbot posted:

care to share some practical household tips for how to "deify" impending collapse?

post in the climate change thread while crying and or masturbating. old Babylonian trick.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

:getout: and go back to CSPAM. If I had a nickel for every scientist who said "well its actually all worse than you could possibly imagine!":byoscience: I could finance fixing climate change myself.
I'm not belittling or denying the effects of climate change (The Salton Sea will be a bay in the Sea of Cortez in our lifetimes) but an unending & condescending attitude of "You have no idea how bad poo poo is hosed :smuggo:" while fundamentally denying the technological ability of humans to mititgate or reverse the effects of climate change is loving horseshit.

Climate change is preeminently solvable. It just costs a lot of money. A lot a lot. More than the world has spent on a project before. But does anyone think we won't do it? That ourselves, and our children and whatnot, are going to be just fine going into the apocalypse because they have their iphones? Its as insulting as it is stupid. Estimates have put the total cost of fixing climate change somewhere between 300 billion and 50 trillion dollars. That is 24 months of the US's total GDP to resolve climate change permanently. with existing technology. How much of that could be clawed back from the :airquote: global elite :airquote:? 2 trillion dollars passed through the Panama Papers alone.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah that climate doom thread you guys have going on in C-SPAM sure is well-adjusted and not terminally depressed and determined to drag everyone else down with them at all as they circle-jerk their way into oblivion.

Sorry your "Everyone else is hosed but I alone can save you if you heed my advice" ecofasicst messiah finally got banned, buddy!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

:getout: and go back to CSPAM. If I had a nickel for every scientist who said "well its actually all worse than you could possibly imagine!":byoscience: I could finance fixing climate change myself.
I'm not belittling or denying the effects of climate change (The Salton Sea will be a bay in the Sea of Cortez in our lifetimes) but an unending & condescending attitude of "You have no idea how bad poo poo is hosed :smuggo:" while fundamentally denying the technological ability of humans to mititgate or reverse the effects of climate change is loving horseshit.

Climate change is preeminently solvable. It just costs a lot of money. A lot a lot. More than the world has spent on a project before. But does anyone think we won't do it? That ourselves, and our children and whatnot, are going to be just fine going into the apocalypse because they have their iphones? Its as insulting as it is stupid. Estimates have put the total cost of fixing climate change somewhere between 300 billion and 50 trillion dollars. That is 24 months of the US's total GDP to resolve climate change permanently. with existing technology. How much of that could be clawed back from the :airquote: global elite :airquote:? 2 trillion dollars passed through the Panama Papers alone.
Where did I say it’s not solvable? Stop putting words in my mouth.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

cat botherer posted:

this poster literally sits around 14 hours a day smoking meth(claims its adderall) while posting in DnD/CSPAM. everyday.

other posters be wasting your time, since there is nothing human left within this shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

Where did I say it’s not solvable? Stop putting words in my mouth.

cat botherer posted:

shirunei posted:

this poster literally sits around 14 hours a day smoking meth(claims its adderall) while posting in DnD/CSPAM. everyday.

other posters be wasting your time, since there is nothing human left within this shell.

:allears: