Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's the summer. Vegas won the cup and we're all so jaded that no one seems that annoyed by it. Chicago drafted Bedard and that stinks. Some teams are about to spend way too much money on the absolute worst group of unrestricted free agents in league history. Come talk about these things and more right here.

Free Agent Frenzy begins at 11:00 a.m. EDT / 8:00 a.m. PDT on TSN, ESPN+ and NHL TV. Free agency actually opens at noon but absolutely nothing happens for the first 2 hours so maybe do something else for a bit.

e: modnote:

Hand Knit posted:

oh that's a good point. Since twitter is dying, a best practices thing is probably to also post the important info of whatever tweet you're posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Weird offseason for the Sens. They have their entire defense locked up already, after re-signing Brannstrom (1x$2m) and Bernard-Docker (2x$800k) this morning. Defence looks like this:
Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Brannstrom-JBD

Top 9 forwards are mostly set, except for the DeBrincat issue:
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
???-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-???

If they're trading DeBrincat, then they need a second line winger to replace him.

I think the fourth line is going to include Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly, who scored 11 and 4 points last year, respectively. They're both young "high-energy" guys, but I'm not sure that their energy ever turned into positive possession or scoring chances. Mathieu Joseph was garbage last year too, scoring 18 points on the third line, and no even-strength goals, after going PPG in his short debut with Ottawa the previous year.

Kind of funny how much better this team would be if Dorion had just kept Connor Brown and Nick Paul for the third line, instead of trading them for basically nothing. I think that would be the foundation of one of the better third lines in the league.

If Dorion does anything today, I hope it's just signing a goalie to tandem with Forsberg, signing a DBC replacement, and signing a useful 3rd-line forward to push Joseph down to the 4th line.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 1, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

Weird offseason for the Sens. They have their entire defense locked up already, after re-signing Brannstrom (1x$2m) and Bernard-Docker (2x$800k) this morning. Defence looks like this:
Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Brannstrom-JBD

Top 9 forwards are mostly set, except for the DeBrincat issue:
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
???-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-???

If they're trading DeBrincat, then they need a second line winger to replace him.

I think the fourth line is going to include Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly, who scored 11 and 4 points last year, respectively. They're both young "high-energy" guys, but I'm not sure that their energy ever turned into positive possession or scoring chances. Mathieu Joseph was garbage last year too, scoring 18 points on the third line, and no even-strength goals, after going PPG in his short debut with Ottawa the previous year.

Kind of funny how much better this team would be if Dorion had just kept Connor Brown and Nick Paul for the third line, instead of trading them for basically nothing. I think that would be the foundation of one of the better third lines in the league.

If Dorion does anything today, I hope it's just signing a goalie to tandem with Forsberg, signing a DBC replacement, and signing a useful 3rd-line forward to push Joseph down to the 4th line.

The defense has improved a ton by subtraction, and a full season of Chychrun (before he gets injured mid-October) and Norris should improve the team. Top-6 will arguably be worse next season without DeBrincat and the prospect cupboards are absolutely empty once Greig graduates.

Tough to say how the team will do next year but gently caress is it frustrating that Pierre and DJ Smith get to come back

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/b1rky/status/1674922900107698178

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So is there actually some social media I can follow to get breaking news or is it just going to be NHL Network?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
This is a real good day for twitter to go tits up. Guess I have to watch TSN and hope they don't do any original songs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'll probably just refresh hfboards with Twitter being poo poo today

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dr Zaius posted:

This is a real good day for twitter to go tits up. Guess I have to watch TSN and hope they don't do any original songs.

I'm in a similar position, except that I'm also hoping for as many TSN original songs as possible.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Mind boggling stuff, even when Florida was killing guys Wayne Simmonds never played one minute for them in the playoffs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1675156160586866707

:lol:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Since I don't have a twitter account and never will, keeping up with news in this thread is going to get real difficult for me

Who'd Florida sign

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

oh that's a good point. Since twitter is dying, a best practices thing is probably to also post the important info of whatever tweet you're posting

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since I don't have a twitter account and never will, keeping up with news in this thread is going to get real difficult for me

Who'd Florida sign

OEL 1x$2.25

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Elon making me return to the dark days of hearing about signings full minutes after they happen. I can never forgive him.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I'm glad treliving finally got his guy.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Per Marc Dumont, Montreal might be linked to ROR, which, why?????

The team isn't competitive and we already have Suzuki, Dach, Monahan, Newhook and Dvorak in the 2nd/3rd line tweener role.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fancy stats posted:

Per Marc Dumont, Montreal might be linked to ROR, which, why?????

The team isn't competitive and we already have Suzuki, Dach, Monahan, Newhook and Dvorak in the 2nd/3rd line tweener role.

Sounds like a young team in need of veteran leadership.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah it's easy to see the value of O'Reilly, guy is a consummate pro, has a Cup, can mentor young players, and is still an effective player at both ends of the ice. He's exactly the kind of player a rebuilding young team would want to sign as the kids grow into their roles.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Yeah it's easy to see the value of O'Reilly, guy is a consummate pro, has a Cup, can mentor young players, and is still an effective player at both ends of the ice. He's exactly the kind of player a rebuilding young team would want to sign as the kids grow into their roles.

Or you know, a declining cap anchor that hampers the team's ability to improve if and when it breaks out. One of the two.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He demanded to be traded from two different teams didn't he

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He also got drunk and drove into the wall of a Tim Hortons but a Conn Smythe heals all wounds.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I'm going to have disagree with this tweet on at least two points

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Would be surprised if the Pens aren't in hard on ROR

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

He also got drunk and drove into the wall of a Tim Hortons but a Conn Smythe heals all wounds.

He's enthusiastic about Canadian institutions.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

.Spec posted:

OEL 1x$2.25

Well, it's better than re-signing Marc Staal and/or Radko Gudas.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

He also got drunk and drove into the wall: Tim Horton

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's mainstream and fun to laugh at the concept of veteran players having intangibles/locker room presence but it is a real thing that is valuable to mentor young players with. O'Reilly is loved around the league by coaches and players alike and it would be stupid to think he doesn't offer any off-ice value to a rebuilding team, and on the ice he can still play effectively in a middle six role while the kids develop.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey now, he didn't hit a wall. He got drunk, rolled his car and was ejected through the windshield because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. His business partner then ripped off his greiving widow and became a billionaire while she died basically penniless.

It's mainstream and fun to laugh at the concept of veteran players having intangibles/locker room presence but it is a real thing that is valuable to mentor young players with. O'Reilly is loved around the league by coaches and players alike and it would be stupid to think he doesn't offer any off-ice value to a rebuilding team, and on the ice he can still play effectively in a middle six role while the kids develop.

I'd say yes and no. We're dealing with humans but a lot of the examples of a great mentor to a young team are retrospective rather than recognized at the time. Plenty of teams have brought in "veteran mentors" and they've done jack poo poo. Most of the best veteran leader types are just solid contributors ala Hossa on the Hawks. It's probably better to ignore that stuff and sign the most talented player.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 1, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1675168770761846784?t=KnrRqA8mBfMyOWZt20iJDA&s=19

That didn't take long.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Hey now, he didn't hit a wall. He got drunk, rolled his car and was ejected through the windshield because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. His business partner then ripped off his greiving widow and became a billionaire while she died basically penniless.

I'd say yes and no. We're dealing with humans but a lot of the examples of a great mentor to a young team are retrospective rather than recognized at the time. Plenty of teams have brought in "veteran mentors" and they've done jack poo poo. Most of the best veteran leader types are just solid contributors ala Hossa on the Hawks. It's probably better to ignore that stuff and sign the most talented player.

I disagree. Players earn reputations that circulate around the league and GM's pick up on it. "Just throw together the most talented players" is not actually a formula for a winning team most of the time. There has to be a strong culture, players have to gel and buy in. This is especially true i hockey, which is so reliant on team systems and mental steadiness.

Everyone in here knows what I mean when I say "a winning culture" because there are plenty of teams that suffer/have suffered from that, only for new ownership/management to turn it around and develop a winning team. It is more likely than not to be a good thing for a team of up-and-coming young players still finding their roles in the NHL to have a good vet like O'Reilly in the room and on the ice to help them with the day-to-day of being in the NHL and finding your game and developing a healthy mindset, etc. Just like our jobs involve a lot of nuances and day-to-day things to get settled and it helps to have someone support you who's been there before.

Now, I certainly agree that GM's overdo this and throw 3 years at Ryan Reaves or pay too much money for clearly broken down veterans who offer nothing BUT "grit and leadership." You want to have a balance of finding veterans who are good for a room of young players who CAN ALSO still play to a decent level and help more than hurt on the ice, which I think O'Reilly does.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

ThinkTank posted:

He also got drunk and drove into the wall of a Tim Hortons

This is as powerful an act of rebellion against anglophone Canada as I can think of

Never mind, I'm sold, roll out the brinks truck

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1675169240247156736?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

He'd better be cheap. Ugh.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twitter decides to break when free agency starts, cool

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Feels like Pittsburgh is a really interesting potential fit for Karlsson. They basically have to try to compete until Crosby, Letang, and Malkin retire, so why not add EK and go all-in for the next 4 years until they need to blow it up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils about to re-sign Bastian and are surprisingly letting Boqvist walk, but I think that opens the door for Fitzgerald to get a legit guy for the bottom six, which they need.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Rangers going all-in on the shittiest defensive forwards. Better re-sign Kane too

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bub spank posted:

Feels like Pittsburgh is a really interesting potential fit for Karlsson. They basically have to try to compete until Crosby, Letang, and Malkin retire, so why not add EK and go all-in for the next 4 years until they need to blow it up.

Honestly our powerplay could really use the help. The Pens PP cost them so many games last year, and you'd think EK would pretty much fix that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I disagree. Players earn reputations that circulate around the league and GM's pick up on it. "Just throw together the most talented players" is not actually a formula for a winning team most of the time. There has to be a strong culture, players have to gel and buy in. This is especially true i hockey, which is so reliant on team systems and mental steadiness.

Everyone in here knows what I mean when I say "a winning culture" because there are plenty of teams that suffer/have suffered from that, only for new ownership/management to turn it around and develop a winning team.

Winning culture is a retrospective phenonmen. The Hawks won the most cups in the post lockout era playing no system anyone can identify just having lots of cocky, talented players. Toronto has consistently played a disciplined, structured style of hockey and has one playoff round win to show for it. Which of those teams has the "winning culture" and which just "threw together the most talented players?" If Toronto wins two cups in the next four years did they always have winning culture or did they get it when they won? There are lots of ways to win a cup but generally depth rules all.

I'm not saying leadership means nothing but it's not generally an inherent trait to an individual. A free agent is coming into a new locker room with new dynamics and without the support he had with his last team. What worked in St. Louis didn't mean much in Toronto and may not do anything with whoever ROR signs for today. He's still a somewhat useful player but looked very slow with the Leafs. I'd be extremely wary of giving him term, he feels like a quick regression candidate to me. The last thing you want is a $5m 4th line centre holding your good young team back from adding a top four defencemen in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Canes signed Raanta

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1675171190736912384

Blues don't have any cap space, are gonna suck, and shouldn't be signing anyone under 25 this FA period