Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fawning deference posted:

It's mainstream and fun to laugh at the concept of veteran players having intangibles/locker room presence but it is a real thing that is valuable to mentor young players with. O'Reilly is loved around the league by coaches and players alike and it would be stupid to think he doesn't offer any off-ice value to a rebuilding team, and on the ice he can still play effectively in a middle six role while the kids develop.
He was a huge prick in Buffalo (and to a lesser extent in Colorado). He's sought after because he was a great player and I'm sure plenty of coaches/players say nice things about him (although they say it about like 99% of 10+ year vets) but the last time he was on a rebuilding team it went about as poorly as it could go.

Now the expectations for him will be quite different than they were in Buffalo and despite their faults Montreal is probably not as poor an organization as Buffalo so odds are it won't end like that but to me we ascribe a lot of off-ice qualities to a player because of their on-ice capabilities, particularly for a big Canadian two-way forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jesper Fast reupped with Carolina

Edmundson traded to WAS

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1675171540835475456?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

In what world would they be able to afford the person they're getting return for Laf unless a cap dump was included.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1675173032577630208?s=20

This says Colorado but Dreger says he signed with the Pens

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Schenn to the Preds. It was cool to have him back though I never imagined the Leafs bringing him back at value.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1675173032577630208?s=20

This says Colorado but Dreger says he signed with the Pens

I'll take it, Nieto can skate

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1675171540835475456?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

In what world would they be able to afford the person they're getting return for Laf unless a cap dump was included.

Friedman already said the Rangers have informed GM's they are committed to keeping Laf

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'll take it, Nieto can skate

It's just nice to get a good depth player for sub 1 million too instead of the Ron Hextall 3.5 mil

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bastian and McLeod are back. Basitan 2 years at $1.35m, McLeod 1 year at $1.5m

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Friedman already said the Rangers have informed GM's they are committed to keeping Laf

The dreaded vote of confidence. I'm glad though. It would be very stupid to trade him now without seeing how the new coaching staff does with him.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1675175005074739200?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Never fear Habs fans

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675175081004105731?s=20

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
I guess Edmunson traded to the Caps? Just going off the Athletic live updates

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

After the Bastian and McLeod deals, the Devils have $7.45m left to spend on probably a bottom pair defenseman and a significant upgrade player in the bottom six.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers signed Connor Brown

No idea on details but I'm down

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

4.5x4 for O'Reilly seems like a lot for a guy who was in the low 40's for possession with the Leafs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nashville just picking up all the Leafs depth from the playoff run.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

God dammit Joel Edmundson and a Tom Wilson extension in the same offseason is going to kill me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Matt Zerella posted:

The dreaded vote of confidence. I'm glad though. It would be very stupid to trade him now without seeing how the new coaching staff does with him.

Isn't that the same thing you all said when Gallant came in

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress you Brad you stupid piece of poo poo.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
LOL calling out the bullshit of Ryan Reaves' ability to protect TML players.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

God dammit Joel Edmundson and a Tom Wilson extension in the same offseason is going to kill me

Gotta get bigger, slower, and more broken

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hand Knit posted:

4.5x4 for O'Reilly seems like a lot for a guy who was in the low 40's for possession with the Leafs.

That is too much despite my monologue about some of the value he could bring. 4 years is crazy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

JVR to Boston, 1 year $1m.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Isn't that the same thing you all said when Gallant came in

There wasn't any talk about trading him at the time so, no?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol: TSN is scorching Ryan Reaves

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hand Knit posted:

Schenn to the Preds. It was cool to have him back though I never imagined the Leafs bringing him back at value.

2.75M/year is kinda high for Schenn. Not terrible, though

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Rightly so.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If they're not gonna trade Laf the Rangers really need to give him 20 minutes a night, and vice versa. It's way past poo poo/off-the-pot time with him.

It's looking more and more likely every day the Rangers front office don't know what they're doing and are going to squander this core of great young talent they absolutely should have been able to win a Cup with

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drake Caggiula is back baby

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It gave them an opportunity to roast O'Neill too they were taking it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Laf is probably gonna cost a few million for a 40 point player with still a lot of upside. not what you ideally want from a #1. but they’d be crazy not to keep him

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve seen worse 4th line guys than Reaves. In 61g in Minnesota he had 5g10a and only 31PIM. But the thing for me there was the number of fights also trended down (not super far, but it went in a direction).

3 years is a long time for it unless you’re the Islanders.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

If they're not gonna trade Laf the Rangers really need to give him 20 minutes a night, and vice versa. It's way past poo poo/off-the-pot time with him.

It's looking more and more likely every day the Rangers front office don't know what they're doing and are going to squander this core of great young talent they absolutely should have been able to win a Cup with

I agree he needs more ice time and PP time but lol at saying its poo poo or get off the pot on a 21 year old player.

I do agree that the FO has no idea what they're doing though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JVR taking $1m to play in Boston. Is he really that cooked or does he just want the cup?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can definitely foresee them trading Laf to the Blackhawks where he puts up 100 a year on Bedard's wing for the next decade

Matt Zerella posted:

I agree he needs more ice time and PP time but lol at saying its poo poo or get off the pot on a 21 year old player.

Yeah he's 21 but he's been in the league 3 years and will soon get expensive. If they don't want to play him more than 15 a night they'll get more value trading him now, probably

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Powershift posted:

JVR taking $1m to play in Boston. Is he really that cooked or does he just want the cup?

He's cooked. Also, Bruins probably not the team if you're Cup-chasing

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

every guitar guy has to sign in Nashville at some point. It's the law.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TSN panel about Bunting getting over 5 per year. Seems dodgy but, well, good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah he's 21 but he's been in the league 3 years and will soon get expensive. If they don't want to play him more than 15 a night they'll get more value trading him now, probably

I disagree. His value is pretty low right now. And he won't get expensive if he doesn't produce.