Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Does the GM listen to the analytics nerd, or McDavid telling him to sign guys like Duncan Keith or Milan Lucic?

I'm going to assume you missed the part where McDavid's agent is now running the Oilers!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
goddamnit, Kylington coming back was about the only thing I was looking forward to this season.

That and KLAPKA

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Wonderllama posted:

Best shape of his life

speaking of, reportedly Nils Lundkvist put on 15 pounds of lean muscle in the off-season and is claimed to have produced the best fitness test results of any player in attendance at training camp for the Dallas Stars. So there's your prime candidate for a season ending injury in game 3 of the exhibition season.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Starsfan posted:

speaking of, reportedly Nils Lundkvist put on 15 pounds of lean muscle in the off-season and is claimed to have produced the best fitness test results of any player in attendance at training camp for the Dallas Stars. So there's your prime candidate for a season ending injury in game 3 of the exhibition season.

Putting on 15 lbs - even of lean muscle - in just a few months is a significant and relatively sudden change that could impact / force one to adapt how one skates, so it's very possible he blows away all the fitness targets and then blows out an ankle on the ice.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Starsfan posted:

We've got a Zac Jones you can trade another 1st for.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Habibi posted:

Putting on 15 lbs - even of lean muscle - in just a few months is a significant and relatively sudden change that could impact / force one to adapt how one skates, so it's very possible he blows away all the fitness targets and then blows out an ankle on the ice.

Don’t tell Connor Timmins this

https://twitter.com/kyle_cush/status/1704504483361734722?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I’m impressed that Bertuzzi managed to get an inch taller.

Not impressed that anyone showed up 21lbs heavier. That’s just beer leaguer stats right there.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Those 28 year old growth spurts.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1704969134641942853

Good job everyone! Its been handled appropriately according to uhhh Bill Daly.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine this will psychically damage some people but I am so ready for the season

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

oh, you know, he's just been eating a lot of, uhh... High Grade Ham

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Tyler Bertuzzi in 2030, taller than Chara and with a voice like André the Giant: "I've been really careful about my diet this offseason"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Martin Jones is 33!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://x.com/mnwild/status/1704945198105542751?s=20
are they doing this on a saturday cause no one will be paying attention due to the football

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

https://x.com/mnwild/status/1704945198105542751?s=20
are they doing this on a saturday cause no one will be paying attention due to the football

With the colors in the paint, I don't think it'll matter if there's football, and either way it's just the Gophers playing Northwestern.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Glad to see Tyler Bertuzzi is in the best height of his life

E: lmao at Keith Petruzzelli being 6’6” 190

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Two of the mainstay Devils beat reporters have said Alexander Holtz looks noticeably faster on his skates. He's also a bit leaner.

It's too early to say anything about whether or not Holtz can stick this year, but pushing the pace and having an NHL compete level were two sore spots he needed to work on. If he can skate with the rest of them and fire that cannon, that would be huge for NJ. I'd be happy if Holtz got PP2 time and middle six time and wound up with 20 goals.

Beat reporters are notoriously optimistic, especially in camp, I'm sure he worked hard but the dude is never gonna be a plus NHL skater, the hope is that he can get it to like an average or below average level that lets his plus attributes (shot/hands/vision/etc) shine.

If he was bigger I think he'd be fine, but that kind of skating at his size is rough as gently caress, although the AHL production is encouraging.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, you. You reading this.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1704960883875545462?t=BA4yBAhrz6Gf8kvTCgO60A&s=19

His favorite player growing up, Taylor Hall.

We're old, fam.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I have plenty of spots for Fantasy Hockey if anyone is interested.

The leagues range in commitment, so if you're looking for something more chill or more involved there's a league for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4042151&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post534744201

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Beat reporters are notoriously optimistic, especially in camp, I'm sure he worked hard but the dude is never gonna be a plus NHL skater, the hope is that he can get it to like an average or below average level that lets his plus attributes (shot/hands/vision/etc) shine.

If he was bigger I think he'd be fine, but that kind of skating at his size is rough as gently caress, although the AHL production is encouraging.

Yup, agree with all of this. If he's gotten faster and worked on his skating, that might mean he's not a liability and can more or less get into position more quickly to unleash his shot. Skating is so important in today's game, and Holtz feels like he can be a 25-goal 2PP unit player who doesn't do much else, which means he's expendable.

What I hope is that he really brought things up a level and can be a legitimate contributor.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CBJSprague24 posted:

We're old, fam.

Yeah I learned today that Stamkos isn't just younger than me - he's ten years younger than me.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Jhet posted:

I’m impressed that Bertuzzi managed to get an inch taller.

Not impressed that anyone showed up 21lbs heavier. That’s just beer leaguer stats right there.

Morgan Reilly is 6'1 225?? I assumed he was like 5'11 190 based on how he plays.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

lol at Columbus , here’s some nice quotes about Laine though.

“Laine had his best defensive season ever within a similar context. If there’s one reason to be extra excited about Columbus’ future core it’s that Laine took a very real step toward becoming an actual franchise building block. Not just a player who scores like one.

Laine made his debut on our annual Player Tiers list for that reason, somehow earning 52 percent of the goals at five-on-five last year. The 47 percent expected goals rate wasn’t as great, but it was a massive step up from the rest of the team at both ends of the ice. It’s not just his play without the puck, Laine has also become much more than just a shooter with the puck. He passes better, he creates chances off the forecheck, he carries the puck up ice — he’s getting there. More care while exiting the zone would help, but Laine’s progress is real.”

“If last season didn’t feature a generationally bad defensive squad in Anaheim, Columbus would’ve been the worst in the league, and it might not have been close.

How bad was it? Laine, with a 1.1 rating, was their most effective defensive player. Did he have a sneaky good season featuring some legit, across-the-board strides? Absolutely. Should he ever lead a team in Defensive Rating? Absolutely not. Very bad sign.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Dogshit garbage:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Duckman2008 posted:

How bad was it? Laine, with a 1.1 rating, was their most effective defensive player. Did he have a sneaky good season featuring some legit, across-the-board strides? Absolutely. Should he ever lead a team in Defensive Rating? Absolutely not. Very bad sign.”

This is absolutely wild

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Duckman2008 posted:

Laine made his debut on our annual Player Tiers list for that reason, somehow earning 52 percent of the goals at five-on-five last year. The 47 percent expected goals rate wasn’t as great, but it was a massive step up from the rest of the team at both ends of the ice. It’s not just his play without the puck, Laine has also become much more than just a shooter with the puck. He passes better, he creates chances off the forecheck, he carries the puck up ice — he’s getting there. More care while exiting the zone would help, but Laine’s progress is real.”

Taps age chart any day now......

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042435

Here's a pre-season thread for y'all

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nybble posted:

For example, the two Sharks goalies have a -2 rating, but for the second goalie, that’s a median goalie. The first goalie with a -2 may be in the bottom 10%.

I have no idea about the veracity of the Ratings themselves, but at least that starts to explain the bars. The Sharks have a decent Bottom 6 and 3rd pair, but that’s only compared to other teams respective players.

This was my only reasonable guess at what the stamina bars were supposed to mean but I wrongly assumed that the authors would realize how noisy and largely useless that kind of visualization would be (even ig oring that it's based on a fairly arbitrary ranking for skaters).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

These got even worse!!!! Like what does any of that rando poo poo mean???

I swear, fancystats is just a never-ending quest for people to say, "My dataset and metric is better than yours because"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what everything is.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Speaking of Dogshit garbage:

By Those metrics Deslauriers is single handedly keeping them out of the playoffs lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

This is absolutely wild

I wonder how much of that was blatant Bedard tanking. Now that he's off the board, will anyone be that horrific this year?

Some teams do still look pretty dire. Even Chicago does despite Bedard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Anaheim hasn't really improved at all

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder how much of that was blatant Bedard tanking. Now that he's off the board, will anyone be that horrific this year?

Some teams do still look pretty dire. Even Chicago does despite Bedard.

Chicago’s projected defense is like staring into the abyss

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

aren't Zegras and their top D still unsigned

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Now now they replaced Dallas Eakins

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's only a single defenseman left from last season I think. And based on last season there's no other way than up :unsmith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Now now they replaced Dallas Eakins

That's a fair point

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

:fap:
Oh God. We're almost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I don't know why everyone is so excited. Most of the teams aren't even going to win the Stanley Cup.