Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

What was Babcock even trying to gain by going through guy's phones?

He wanted to know the best way to "know that kind of guy they were" and "how to handle them" (his words).

aka the best way to abuse them.

CBJ having decent prospects is surprising because they've kept having amazing end of season runs to squeak into the playoffs, that usually kills your ability to get better when you're just barely good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

CBJ having decent prospects is surprising because they've kept having amazing end of season runs to squeak into the playoffs, that usually kills your ability to get better when you're just barely good enough.

They've picked top 6 each of the past three years and had six first round picks total during that time. That'll give any team a top 10 prospect pool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Stamkos isn't really worth much at this stage of his career and Tampa don't have the cap space to sign him to anything like what he wants. Letting him walk is the only sensible play for them. Life goes on. This isn't like a Mookie Betts situation where you're letting a generational superstar walk in his prime because you're just too cheap to pay him. Stamkos had a great career for them but he's pretty much done.

I don't believe the Lightning are yet in the Penguins Zone where their window is already all the way closed and so sure, what the hell, pay him whatever so he can retire a Lightning. They're still good enough to make a run at it with some breaks.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yaknow, I just looked Stamkos up and I am forced to retract the above--he's 32 and still producing above a PPG, and playing every game. If he wants 8x12.5 then they'll have to let him walk, but if he's willing to do max term/reasonable AAV they certainly should do that. But I assume he wants All The Money, in which case good for him but Tampa aren't in a position to do that.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

neoaxd posted:

I liked him. Needed a shorthanded goal? He was your man. It's okay to be a one-trick pony when your trick is really good.

Also, this picture of, you guessed it, a shorthanded goal, against the Leafs in Game 1 fuckin' rules:

Yeah, he turned out as good as a waiver claim possibly could. Turns out a 10-20 goal scorer can be really fun if half of them are on a breakaway.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"Not worth much" is an overstatement. 34 goals and 84 points is pretty good. 42 and 106 before, and he's been healthy for 2 straight seasons. He should be a 30 goal player for the next couple of years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'd wager the issue with Stamkos is term length more than anything. He's probably worth $9-10m for 1-3 more seasons. At some point he'll hit the wall, probably very hard and very quickly likely becoming worth less than half that. Older guys like Malkin and Letang got "thanks for the cups" 5+ year extensions that sorta averaged that out a bit by being a mid range cap hit. Stamkos likely wants a 6-8 year deal in a similar vein. He's younger than those guys, just as decorated and arguably more productive at the same age. Tampa on the other hand doesn't want to be anywhere near a deal like that (especially considering Stamkos' injury history) if they want to be able to do a quick retool and get back to contender status while Point is still in his 20s. It's a tough choice, celebrating nostalgia over the faint possibility of continued success. I wouldn't want to have to make that call.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tampa are going to be tanking in like 4 years so they shouldn't care about term length, just AAV. If they think they can just do a quick retool and be contending for the Cup in 2028 they're deluding themselves.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It very much seems like Tucker Poolman won't be playing hockey for the foreseeable future. He won't be at training camp with the Canucks, and there is zero timetable for a possible return.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9973213/newfoundland-school-titan-sub-oceangate/amp/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

It very much seems like Tucker Poolman won't be playing hockey for the foreseeable future. He won't be at training camp with the Canucks, and there is zero timetable for a possible return.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9973213/newfoundland-school-titan-sub-oceangate/amp/

Are you suggesting that Tucker Poolman should be sent to the bottom of the ocean to die?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I think they shouod dump him in the ocean.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

I think they shouod dump him in the ocean.

It has recently proven to be a quick and effective way to get rid of unwanted, overpaid individuals.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Biosteel was weird. I always heard about it via NHL players, their off season camp etc, but actual product-wise I know almost nothing about it.

Was this stuff in stores? I don't recall ever seeing it next to Gatorade or something. At least not where I live in Western Canada.

There was flats of this at Costco in Edmonton

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wait biosteel was a drink? I thought it was like, tshirts and workout stuff or something. I never saw it in my life.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

Are you suggesting that Tucker Poolman should be sent to the bottom of the ocean to die?

I wouldn't go that far, but I think you can cancel that gift subscription to Air Raid Sirens and Disco Strobe Lights Monthly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I'd wager the issue with Stamkos is term length more than anything. He's probably worth $9-10m for 1-3 more seasons. At some point he'll hit the wall, probably very hard and very quickly likely becoming worth less than half that. Older guys like Malkin and Letang got "thanks for the cups" 5+ year extensions that sorta averaged that out a bit by being a mid range cap hit. Stamkos likely wants a 6-8 year deal in a similar vein. He's younger than those guys, just as decorated and arguably more productive at the same age. Tampa on the other hand doesn't want to be anywhere near a deal like that (especially considering Stamkos' injury history) if they want to be able to do a quick retool and get back to contender status while Point is still in his 20s. It's a tough choice, celebrating nostalgia over the faint possibility of continued success. I wouldn't want to have to make that call.

I think part of the problem is they also are going to have to pay an aging Hedman the year after they pay Stamkos. Anchoring yourself to one isn't the end of the world if they end up declining or falling off a cliff. The same thing happening to both welp.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Stamkos is worth a lot for merch sales and ambassador stuff too. Stars are worth money, especially franchise ones.

Also, justin bourne wrote a really weird article on sportsnet defending mike babcock because...it can be hard for players to make friends and teams don't golf enough in the preseason? Bizarre stuff

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

Stamkos is worth a lot for merch sales and ambassador stuff too. Stars are worth money, especially franchise ones.

Yes, but winning is worth more.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsPR/status/1704603083328643513

Oh, cool, four broken dudes before camp starts!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Already making excuses for finishing 31st.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And losing the lottery to 26th placed Chicago anyway

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

ThinkTank posted:

Its business model for a long time was to only sell directly to pro sports franchises, not commerical retail. Presumably as a groundswell marketing thing to create demand. It eventually got sold to some cannabis company and I think they found out too late it wasn't even coming close to breaking even, so tried to ratchet up marketing and get it to shelves for consumers. I saw it in a Walmart once but it didn't last. It's too niche a product and NHL players just aren't cool enough to drive demand. It was basically an Ontario hockey bro exclusive product and could never gain a foothold beyond that.

part of the problem is it tasted awful and they tried to market it as a second gatorade, which tons of people drink even while not involved in athletic endeavors
Cycling actually had a sort of counter story for how it could have gone- in the early aughts many riders were using a powder that was known as "secret drink mix" in their gatorade sponsored bottles. eventually the folks behind it turned in into Skratch Labs and marketed it basically elusively to the cycling and eventually broader endurance sports market, and today it does very well, but its certainly not a household name

e: anyway today i was listening to 32 thoughts and learned brent burns has a snake farm. what it is with hockey players and snakes?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

clean ayers act posted:

e: anyway today i was listening to 32 thoughts and learned brent burns has a snake farm. what it is with hockey players and snakes?

uhhh didn't it turn out that the people who have cornered the snake market in North America are basically the mafia? Hopefully Brent Burns isn't going to end up like Robin Lehner

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure "snake farm" is just a euphemism for his beard.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I tried Biosteel once after I saw commercials for it during a hockey game and going “huh, never tried it. Let’s see how it is”

I bought two. The one tasted okay and I thought “okay not bad. Maybe there’s something to this.” Then I drank the other one and it tasted as if some berry went bad and someone pissed in the bottle to fix it. It was just gross and I never drank another container.

That’s my Biosteel story. File it under “not surprised they went bankrupt.”

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

I tried Biosteel once after I saw commercials for it during a hockey game and going “huh, never tried it. Let’s see how it is”

I bought two. The one tasted okay and I thought “okay not bad. Maybe there’s something to this.” Then I drank the other one and it tasted as if some berry went bad and someone pissed in the bottle to fix it. It was just gross and I never drank another container.

That’s my Biosteel story. File it under “not surprised they went bankrupt.”

Lol they're my local CIS school's sponsor (specifically for powerplays)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Was Biosteel that "rainbow flavoured water" that came in a juicebox and tasted like liquid stevia? Cause that poo poo sucked.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Was Biosteel that "rainbow flavoured water" that came in a juicebox and tasted like liquid stevia? Cause that poo poo sucked.

Yes. Never tried it myself because I find most sports drinks taste OK initially but have a foul aftertaste

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sylabrush/status/1704508958478610644?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Gold cage owns so hard it almost made me forget they signed Korpisalo for 5 years

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I have heard too much about the Blue Jackets this summer. Everyone has their limits.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Thinking about the Detroit Red Wings right now.

Excited for hockey to start.

Considering a trip to Montreal to end the season.

All Is Good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes. Never tried it myself because I find most sports drinks taste OK initially but have a foul aftertaste

You definitely don't want to drink anything with stevia in it then

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1704629224303112549?s=46

:rip: Ryan Ellis

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Kite posted:

I have heard too much about the Blue Jackets this summer. Everyone has their limits.

HELLO CAN I TELL YOU ABOUT HOW THE MAPLE LEAFS ARE DEFINITELY GONNA WIN THE STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

clean ayers act posted:

part of the problem is it tasted awful and they tried to market it as a second gatorade, which tons of people drink even while not involved in athletic endeavors
Cycling actually had a sort of counter story for how it could have gone- in the early aughts many riders were using a powder that was known as "secret drink mix" in their gatorade sponsored bottles. eventually the folks behind it turned in into Skratch Labs and marketed it basically elusively to the cycling and eventually broader endurance sports market, and today it does very well, but its certainly not a household name

sports drinks are so overdone. I was a distance runner for years and nothing beats sweet iced tea because it does everything sports drinks do but it also has caffeine, a known and proven PED (flat coke is nauseating). The second ingredient in everything is sugar, big surprise

And question, obviously Pettersson not getting the C is because he hasn't re-signed. What are the odds that the fixes to the PK and a proper backup get the Canucks into the playoffs?

e: Allvin - "Regarding Tyler Myers, we have no intention of moving him"

so not good

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 21, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

With Babcock fired, who are the official villains of the upcoming season? Chicago?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Couturier is back? I thought he was a goner.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Couturier is back? I thought he was a goner.

Cout came back, they thought he was a goner but Cout came back he just had to stay and play

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

With Babcock fired, who are the official villains of the upcoming season? Chicago?

Chicago is gonna be public enemy number 1 for years because of everything with Kyle Beach and (not at the same level of evil) the lottery was rigged for them.

gently caress Pittsburgh.

gently caress Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
We also might eventually get that Hockey Canada report which will give us some villains.