Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bub spank posted:

Feels like Pittsburgh is a really interesting potential fit for Karlsson. They basically have to try to compete until Crosby, Letang, and Malkin retire, so why not add EK and go all-in for the next 4 years until they need to blow it up.

Honestly our powerplay could really use the help. The Pens PP cost them so many games last year, and you'd think EK would pretty much fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1675173032577630208?s=20

This says Colorado but Dreger says he signed with the Pens

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'll take it, Nieto can skate

It's just nice to get a good depth player for sub 1 million too instead of the Ron Hextall 3.5 mil

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
EK would fix the Pens PP which would be good. And it'd be hilarious to add another old expensive piece.

I'm for it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675229035494883329?s=20

Kyle did something

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

little rich but I guess there's the 4C

3c unless they're playing Carter there which they absolutely should not

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

You forgot Granlund already

he aint playin center or for the Penguins hopefully someone please take him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Noel Acciari is a good fourth liner and absolutely not 3C material.

When you've got old rear end Jeff Carter he might have to be unless Dubas has something else up his sleeve

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sure whatever. Do something funny now!

There it is

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675232177837993985?s=20

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1675232524174278657?s=20

Not super thrilled with this but you could do worse with the goalie position. I just hope his made of glass rear end stays healthy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meh. I like Graves and hopefully the price tag isn't to bad. Jarry at $5.5 or whatever guessing was the best of some bad options.

I didn't love the way Graves played in the playoffs and i'm guessing the price tag will be way too god damned much

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675233761229778944?s=20

This I like. Better backup than CDS and reasonable starter if (when) TJ gets hurt

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Graves is 6x$4.5m

which I think is pretty drat fine

Yeah not terrible. Should be better than Dumo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Graves playing 1LD would be a disaster so wonder if they're going to put Pettersson with Letang.

2nd pair LD would be my guess unless they're gonna drop MP to 2nd pair.

I'd rather Graves on pair 2 I think. MP is more of a top pair guy assuming he can hold down what he did last year or close to it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

The pens sure love old Devils' Dmen.

28 is a spring fuckin chicken on this team

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I assume Graves is full D zone deployment and after that no idea. If they move Petry and get an actual 2nd pairing RD that would be great. Or they trade MP and get EK or Gost is still floating about or who even knows. Either way Graves I think will be the primary D zone deployment. POJ (if he's still around) gets the very soft deployments in the O zone. MP gets the rest.

Ty Smith gets to chill in WBS forever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like most of what Dubas did today. A little whatever on Ehler. He's kinda old.

It should be a much improved roster from last year if only because Graves in Dumo out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I am shocked, shocked, that the Penguins are signing old players. Shocked!

Better old ones than Hextall was signing at least

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright so far with Kyle "Kyle Dubas" Dubas:

Reilly Smith: Get trade. 25 goal scorer for basically nothing, should help the pk too. Bordering on old, but w/e

Lars Eller: Ehhh don't get this one. The card looks alright but he's soo old

Noel Acciari: I'm probably just going to call him Noel most of the year because I won't remember how to spell that last name

Matt Nieto: I've liked him for a while so it figures the Pens finally get him when he's reached a fitting age (30)

Ryan Graves: Pretty solid contract for a 2nd pair defenseman. I thought he looked pylonish at times in the playoffs but he can't be more of a traffic cone than last year Dumoulin was

Alex Nedeljkovic: He was good once, and will be again

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pens a bit older and slower. Same goaltending issues that have plagued them for years now with even more expense. Didn't really address their lack of finish nor their depth scoring....or their utter disappearance of scoring from the defense. So more of the same I guess.

Bottom six should be better than last year, at least defensively. Offensively I don't see much difference, but if they can just play boring rear end hockey and then let the top six do its thing that should be enough to win a fair amount of games.

Goaltending they were kinda hosed on. The FA options sucked, and no good goalies have been moved via trade. So I dunno what they could have done. Jarry gives league average goaltending and generally no better than that, but the alternatives on the market were even worse. Ryan Graves is a clear upgrade over Dumoulin and should make them better.

It's a good enough roster to compete for a playoff spot but you could say that about every team in the Metro except the Flyers and probably Jackets (unless their young guys take massive leaps and maybe not even then, their depth is poo poo). So it's gonna be a dogfight yet again to get in.

I hope they still find a way to acquire EK because that'd be funny and entertaining.

Imo the big problem with Dubas' approach is deciding not to move picks/prospects. So they're basically doing a half-in approach where they try to win and rebuild at the same time. I don't think that's a particularly workable approach. If they'd been truly all-in on winning, they could have moved that first for something significant.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Thoughts on Canucks Free Agency so far:

Teddy Blueger 1x1.9M - Relatively cheap veteran depth centre. He'll play on the third or fourth line and get the tougher defensive matchups as well as PK duties. The Canucks desperately needed help on the PK and Blueger does that. Probably won't provide offense but that's not a big deal. I like this.

Blueger is decently skilled with the puck. Not much of a shot but he's a good playmaker and he has hands and the ability to hold onto it. He really struggled offensively with the Pens last year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound to being a 25-30 point guy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope it's Carolina so that they are out on EK and the Dubas can finally complete his collection of 32 year olds

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't really get what Detroit is doing. They've had bad lottery luck but they also seem well on their way towards building a team that will be in that poo poo range of finishing just outside the playoffs but not low enough to have a realistic shot at lottery picks. And they have a good but not amazing prospect pool.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

the most charitable take is yzerman is trying to turn them into a seattle like team, able to roll 4 lines that can score with none that really stand out. and then also be incredible defensively.

but really, i'm at a loss. last off season he seemed to signal it was time to compete for a playoff spot. and then it came down to a weekend back to back with ottawa before the TDL, in which he basically said the results of that back to back would determine if they bought or sold. they got annihilated, and they sold.

Then, at the draft, he basically says its still the middle of the rebuild- but then he goes and has the off season he did. I have no idea anymore

I mean I guess they could push for a playoff spot if everything goes right. Seems unlikely but they aren't totally hopeless.

But yeah I don't know what the long term outlook is. I don't see a path towards them being elite right now. And I don't mean just this season but the next 4-5 years.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's lots of stories about how nice he is to fans and how he visits sick kids and what not. But when you are (or were) the face of the league and you're not outwardly an rear end in a top hat, you probably get to reap the benefits of many such puff pieces.

I remember reading a story one time where a local friend of his was playing in some ball hockey league in Pittsburgh and Sid decided to just put on goalie equipment and play a few games. Nobody knew who he was until afterwards. That's how much of a hockey dork he is.

I've certainly never heard of him being much of a party guy. Not like Mario and Jagr who were all over Pittsburgh at least until Mario settled down. Jagr never settled down and is still dating young women lol.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Didn't Crosby leave his hometown to go play in Minnesota cause he was bullied and harrassed constantly as a kid?

Pretty sure that sort of trauma leads you to being a bit insular.

Yeah if memory serves he got a lot of abuse from both players and parents.

Hockey parents can be the worst.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Hard to imagine Detroit even being a wild card team next season but having Debrincat locked up for relatively cheap for the next 4 years should be helpful. I think they might be competitive by year 3 or 4 of that deal.

Honestly I feel like most anybody could be a wild card team if they got randomly good goaltending. Maybe a handful of teams would still suck like Philly, Chicago, etc. Someone like Detroit or Ottawa could conceivably compete if they got good goaltending.

Like last year Philly got good goaltending from Carter Hart for a while and still missed because they're just that bad. But I'm not sure I'd say Detroit is that bad. Unlikely to make it yes, but not outside of the realm of possibility.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just don't think that Detroit is better than any of Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Tampa Bay, or Toronto. At least for the next year, depends on how their prospects develop I guess. I could definitely see them hanging around the wild card race for a little bit if a lot of things go right for them, but as things are now they'd need to be better than one of those five teams and for everyone in the Metro to be bad, and it doesn't seem likely at the moment. To be honest, even with this trade I'm not sure they're better than Ottawa.

The top 6 in the East feel pretty set. Carolina, Jersey, and NYR from the metro and then Boston, Tampa, and Toronto locked for the Atlantic. That's now 2 spots left where you have the Isles, Pens, Buffalo, and Florida to compete with. Washington maybe gets an honorable mention, but I'm guessing they are mediocre to bad then sell at the deadline again. If they aren't well add them to the above list. Detroit's best shot is to petition Bettman to let them into the western conference imo.

I agree with Rex. I think there's two spots to where a Detroit or a Buffalo could maybe grab one of those spots. It's Pens/Isles/Caps for the last spot in the Metro and Buffalo/Florida/Detroit/Ottawa for the last Atlantic spot. Imo Philly, Columbus, and Montreal are pretty hopeless and I'd be shocked to see one of them make the playoffs or even threaten to.

Hard to see any of that top six dropping out unless they had catastrophic injuries either. Maybe Boston could have a hard time if Bergeron and Krejci don't come back but even then we're talking about a team that just had 65 wins. Just don't see it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

His contract with the Hurricanes is probably already done.

I'm only surprised he stayed a Flyer for a whole season under Tortorella. Skillswise he is the exact opposite of what Torts wants his defensemen to do.

This is one instance in which I'm glad Mike Sullivan has no idea why his system works, because on the other hand Tony D's skillset is exactly what Sullivan's system craves.

The Penguins are too busy trying to get the cool guy all offense guy (EK)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rodrigues is better than Staal by a mile

and Kulikov may be better than Marc Staal, I dunno he was broken last season
it's all just shuffling around pieces

Kulikov looked like hot garbage for the Pens but Marc Staal is pretty bad too so yeah Idk

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

It's incredible to see all the different types of guys who come together in hockey. Enforcers like John Scott with a degree in mechanical engineering and Stu Grimson becoming a lawyer after retiring. Stars like Taylor Hall who can't spell "banana" or failed a ten-question multiple-choice boating safety exam three times. People knock the Rangers for their player development staff having been fringe NHL players, but Tanner Glass has an ivy league degree (History, Dartmourth) and Jed Ortmeyer has a BS in education IIRC and also started a successful job placement firm for retired pro and Olympic athletes.

I love the stories of the dummies, but it's also nice to know there's less and less guys with minimal education who otherwise would've been working labor, both overall in society, as well as getting their bodies destroyed playing minor league hockey before widespread awareness of concussions and other debilitating injuries.

I mean is Tanner Glass getting into an ivy league school though if he's not amazing at hockey? I doubt he got in primarily because of his mind.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

Tanner Glass is not amazing at hockey.

You know what I mean. He's a poo poo NHLer but he was a good college hockey player and better than like 99% of the hockey world at hockey. I doubt he gets into Dartmouth on his academic merits alone

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

Predictions thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037348

The West is a tire fire, it's very hard to determine who the wild card teams are. After the top six or seven teams, everyone is awful.

EK needs to hurry up and get traded to the Pens so I can predict a 4th place finish and then get sad when their stars decline this season and they finish 5th again

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly there's plenty of people who are morons even in the field they work in. Doctors have a tougher path into their industry than most but I'd wager even in that industry there's a whole host of idiots loving poo poo up all the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

This is the worst offseason

I f5 every day waiting for the news that the Penguins have added star 33 year old defenseman Erik Karlsson and every day I am disappointed

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens should have blown it up last summer. Since they didn't, they will be in 9th-12th place purgatory for several years more before it all disintegrates.

Sometime in the next year they'll re-sign Guentzel for 8x12 and then he is going to be the only NHL-caliber player on some godawful teams for most of that contract.

Blow it up how? You gonna let Malkin and Letang walk and then tell Sidney Crosby it's rebuild time? You don't slap franchise legends in the face like that.

If the Penguins do end up in 9th place purgatory for a while, so be it. I'd rather let my favorite players go out on their own terms. I'm not so greedy for the next era of Pens hockey that I need it right now this second. The rebuild will come when it comes.

ThinkTank posted:

The Sedins/Luongo era Canucks has arguably the best core of any franchise in the post lockout era and made one cup finals. Ovi and Co made one cup finals. McDavid and Draisaitl are yet to make a cup finals. The Leafs teams of recent years have one series win. The incredibly underwhelming Kings core won two cups. Hockey is far too random. The absolute best you can hope for is to turn your team into a consistent playoff team and cross your fingers.

Even the Pens were awfully close to not having the success they had. Detroit could have easily beaten them in 09 and almost did. They were a goal away from losing to Ottawa in 2017. Tampa took them to 7 in 2016.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

i felt the same way 8 years ago but, well, its getting old being terrible
although lets be real, the penguins will have blackhawks luck and get the next McDavid in the '26 lockout lottery

Part of that is because the Wings have had some poo poo awful luck in the draft lottery.

But whatever. If it goes the same way, so be it. 3 cups, tons of good memories.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

They would have won the Pittsburgh series, and the Cup, if they'd just not played Orpik so drat much. He really killed them, that is true.

The one they really should have won was 2017 when Letang was hurt. Caps controlled play in much of that series but Maf was on fire and the Pens finished everything

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1687085909962022913

McDavid's former agent now runs the Oilers.

Connor never gonna leave now.

Also Connor fully runs the team now.

That rocks to be honest. The stars should run the team. It worked with Mario and Jagr baby

e: I feel like Maf will be considered more of a no doubt hofer than Letang which is hilarious because Letang is the better player. But the media adores Maf and he has all those wins plus some cups. He's getting in.

Letang's case would be helped had he won a Norris, but he never has. I think he'll get in, but might not be immediate

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1687463489139347456?s=20

Not good I say. This team is already gonna be struggling to make the playoffs.

Doobie better go get EK

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Guentzel is so physically frail that it's always been hard to imagine him having a long career. I love the guy but the 8x10 contract the Pens will sign him to next spring/summer is likely to be a giant boat anchor.

Still would rather sign him than not but yeah I could see him not aging particularly gracefully

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dubas rocks. What a trade. All that garbage out and the only real assets of note to go out were a first and a second, and the first is even lottery protected in the event that the Pens somehow take a giant poo poo this year.

I haven't said this often about a Pens GM recently but A+ trade

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/ericengels/status/1688214675534606336

This could make sense yeah. Other role otherwise is sheltering the young d-men but who knows.

I know the Petrys do not want to live in Canada either so that would make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Malkin-Sid-Guentzel
Letang-Karlsson

First powerplay unit? Pittsburgh will be fun to watch if all these old guys can stay healthy

Guentzel is already out until November lol.

It will be a fun team though, and that's all I ask for at this point in their careers. That PP unit is gonna give up some shorties trying to do stupid poo poo but when it works it will be rad as gently caress

ThinkTank posted:

Man I am so impressed by Dubas. That's a hell of a trade by Pittsbugh and absolutely the go for it deal they needed after they doubled down on Sid, Geno and Letang.

Yeah absolute home run of a trade