Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Treliving needs to sign an actual hockey player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Samsonov was qualified, he’s either gotta sign or be traded.

The real question is how do the Leafs get rid of Murray’s contract, cause I can’t imagine he has a future in this org after being healthy scratched for a rookie in an elimination game.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

bub spank posted:

Wasn’t Samsonov signed as a UFA after Washington cut him loose? Seems strange that he would go back to being an RFA with the new team that signed him.

Yeah the league’s FA rules are dumb, but basically he’s too young/doesn’t have enough games played to be a real UFA still so it doesn’t matter how he got here

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Connor Brown in Edmonton $4m x 1

It's only $775k cap hit because $3.25m is performance bonuses that will only add to the cap next year after it goes up, pretty smart.

Do they have any draft picks left to give? I'm sure arizona will take a 4th to help them make the cap floor.

Is Connor Brown old enough for performance bonuses now? Am I… ancient?

I’d imagine the draft would have been the time to move Murray’s contract but the Leafs barely had any picks this year so I guess it didn’t matter.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

No he qualifies for the bonuses due to the rules about games on the IR.

Right, he’s just old enough to be busted all the time. Still feeling ancient.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Travis Dermott is available too!

Wild to me that people were still touting his draft pedigree and saying that he could still be a top-4 defender at the start of last season. Great poster child for always asking yourself “what does this guy actually do?” when someone puts up a pretty blue chart about a small 3rd-pair guy with no points.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He got a giant, career ruining concussion with the Canucks. He looked fine but unremarkable when he was healthy. He's a #7 if his brain gets fixed.

I mean, I watched ~250 games of him playing for the Leafs, I guarantee he’s a #7 on a good team at best with or without his brain.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Holl definitely lost his touch with the puck completely last year, the Wings are gonna have to hope that’s temporary.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I like Orlov but drat that’s a big cap hit

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Between Soucy and Clifton there’s a decent number of defenders better than Holl signing for slightly less than him. I wouldn’t have minded either becoming Leafs that much, Tre’s running out of time

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Brad

Brad please

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

How long do you want Kerfoot back for?

…at least Holl is away from Keefe

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Bunting supposedly going to Carolina for 4.5M, which seems regrettable if it's longer than 2 years.

Big Ryan Dzingel vibes imo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Maybe the term is to keep the AAV low, but still lol considering how little term has been given out so far

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Uhh, John Klingberg?!?!?

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675252209955618816?s=20

The Leafs already have Morgan Rielly, but they did need more puck movers I guess…

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I guess if they keep him sheltered and they plan to be more aggressive about playing North-South?

I’m not strictly against the move but the contract details and his deployment are going to be real important

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Leafs and Bruins are getting worse while the Sabres are getting better…

:yeshaha:

Ottawa fans were singing this tune exactly one year ago and uh…

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

whatis posted:

yeah but ottawa is dumb and buffalo is cool

Tage Thompson is definitely cooler than any Sen it’s true

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1675285094456500226?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

KERFOOT TO THE YOTES MY LONG NIGHTMARE IS OVER

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

All you need is a Brock Faber to prop him up and produce good balanced numbers. You do have one of those, right?

I mean, if the question is “do the Leafs have forwards that can carry otherwise questionable players to positive possession results” I’d say the answer is definitively yes.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

Faber plays D, so the question is if Toronto has someone that can make up for Klingberg’s less than great D to make up for the offensive upside. I think that may be more of a stretch than having forwards who will enjoy the distribution.

Oh yeah, it’s basically just “hope that last year was a blip for TJ Brodie” and even then they would need to find someone to also be that guy for Rielly. I don’t think the Leafs are done, though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Gio isn’t an offensive defenseman anymore and none of McCabe, Brodie, Timmins, or Liljegren are going to put up a lot of points. Klingberg has a lot of similarities to Rielly but I think the Leafs lack of threats from the blueline was pretty apparent last year and the team could benefit from having another playmaker from the back end in the lineup.

I think the thought process is sound, though like Exxon I probably would have preferred trying to make Gustafsson work for 1/4 the price but who knows if he wanted to sign after being scratched into oblivion. The question for me is can Keefe make the pairings work and put Klingberg in places to succeed, cause he sure as hell fumbled Gustafsson and Barrie who are in similar moulds.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

So who is Toronto trading to fit Bertuzzi? Are they really going to trade Nylander?

It’s Matt Murray, works out pretty much perfectly

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t love the fact that the Leafs are acquiring a bunch of weird shitheads but I do think it’s interesting that Treliving’s looking at passers and transition play. I kinda wonder if Domi is more of an escape plan for Nylander though

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

1 year $2.5M for Domi according to Kypreos (so grain of salt as it’s not done) but… alright. That’s a more credible top 9 than they started last year with, anyway.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Domi had a productive playoffs for Dallas after being pretty dreadful in the regular season post-trade so I get why he’s polarizing. He hasn’t ever been good defensively and Keefe has a tendency to bury guys he doesn’t trust so this is gonna be a very interesting season

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s quite hilarious how badly the Panthers broke Toronto’s brain.

The Leafs making sure they have an enforcer and signing formerly good players to short term value deals while letting everyone they acquired at the deadline walk is exactly what Dubas did every year

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

New jersey numbers for the Leafs signings are in, noticed that the big guys all have numbers close to their replacements:

Holl 3 -> Klingberg 3
Kerfoot 15 -> Domi 11
Bunting 58 -> Bertuzzi 59

Makes life easy on the kind of people that change their jersey lettering anyway

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Good news for Justin Holl jersey owners everywhere.

You joke but there’s always someone

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/itsmitchmarney/status/1675976466368954369?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Heh, phrasing

But also count your days Timothy Liljegren

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Remember the last time fans of other teams were tabulating Toronto's cap situation every day and coming up with scenarios where they had to trade a star to their favourite team for peanuts and then Laurence Gilman said "we can use LTIR in the offseason to exceed that cap" when they traded for Clarkson's deal and the NHL said "oh yeah I guess you can" and it amounted to nothing?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My understanding is that as one of the architects of the original cap-era CBA, and also a literate human being, Gilman is one of the few people in the NHL that actually understands how these things work while most other GMs and AGMs get by on vibes and hearsay. Most journalists have also never read the CBA and so confidently reported things like “you can’t use LTIR in the off-season” until 2020 when a team finally did it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Pridham was the dude that worked on drafting the CBA. Gilman's "just" a law school dude that decided to pursue hockey management rather than law. He's the guy that did the Luongo deal and mastered cap fuckery from the team side.

But still an example of why you should hire actual professionals with related training rather than brain damaged high school dropouts that can skate fast. At least for the business/contract roles. The hockey people can probably do the scouting/development front office roles.

Right yeah, so it's literally just "is a literate person" = cap wizard

I guess the point is if we asked Danny Briere to explain what tagging room is do we think he'd ramble on inconclusively and hope he got the gist of it or would he just run away and trust some nerd to tell him when he can and can't announce a player's extension

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 6, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

wasn't some team supposed to be poaching Pridham? Whatever happened to that

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hitting is allowed but it’s definitely considered too much to try to blow someone up like that.

I have mixed feelings about it, obviously you don’t want anyone getting hurt but I’m also very aware of how Nick Robertson’s career has been derailed from a complete inability to deal with being hit by adults and I don’t know how you evaluate or prepare for that without allowing hitting in scrimmage.

That guy crossed the line, but it wasn’t the first open ice hit of that scrimmage or camp so it’s not like Hirvonen was completely unaware it could happen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m absolutely not endorsing that hit and obviously I’m upset about Hirvonen getting hurt. I’m just not sure hitting should be banned in evaluation scrimmages entirely, contact is a part of the game and you should be able to trust these players not to blow each other up unnecessarily. The guy that hit Roni should probably start looking at alternate career paths.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Marlies have signed Nolan Dillingham, the guy who concussed Roni Hirvonen in a Leafs prospect skirmish last week, to an AHL contract. So they’ll be teammates this year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I like how others teams are always asking whether they are good enough to win a cup while Leafs talk is always about money money money.

It’s a hard cap league, a team’s ability to win the Cup is heavily based on a team’s value for dollar. Matthews, Marner, and to a lesser extent Nylander all signed to above-expected contract values after their ELCs and the team has (rightly or wrongly) been seen as underperforming for the duration of those deals, so of course money is the topic for the Leafs because 1) it’s obvious that money limits their ability to add talent and 2) management has behaved like the team already had all the talent they needed.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think the important part of the sentiment was "gently caress Chicago"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Noticed Matt Murray is making $8mil salary this season, whens the buyout?

Can’t happen until Samsonov’s arbitration case is either settled or awarded