Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Jarry getting five years is not ideal but like all of the deals they signed last year I look at it as the next three years and then gently caress it. Unless they were going to try to trade for Hellebuyck I don’t think they’d get much else better on the market than what they have.

Was hoping Nashville would want to move Saros or maybe Demko from Vancouver but I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1677377063106531328

The Stanley Cup is the best trophy in sports and it isn't even close.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I can’t fathom how Lou Lam still has a job. His trades have been bad, his contracts are too long for the type of players he signs, and the best thing he did was hire Trotz who he later fired. If hockey players had any personality Barzal would have asked for a trade a long time ago.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Proud of myself for remembering that Owen Nolan played for the Avs and Leafs and Joe Juneau the Caps and Sens. I can’t remember important things but I am full of useless hockey trivia.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/azcoyotespr/status/1679521111988641793?s=46&t=445Hll_at5LyPmElLbdnnA

They signed him like two days ago so uhhhhh

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

:five: :five: :five: :five:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The grinders and enforcers understand they have a short window or are a long shot to make a career out of it and want something to fall back on outside of failing at opening restaurants. Bobby Farnham was an all academic guy at Brown and I remember reading an interview where all of his friends and family thought he was nuts for putting his body on the line to play when he had plenty of other career opportunities.

The stars being dumb isn’t as shocking since they either know they can coast or delude themselves into thinking they’ll make it and don’t need it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ve often wondered what the league would look like if they used the cap structure for the NFL/NBA or the luxury tax system for the MLB. The first two are much more complicated I feel and it would be incredible to see what Arizona would do without a salary floor if the league went the MLB route.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m just curious how deep they would sink. All ELCs, shells of old players, aged out junior guys… I’m imagining the Indians roster from Major League but with hockey.

Kind of like those early 2000s Penguin teams.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Koopa Kid posted:

I could be way off since I’ve never bothered to try to read the NBA’s CBA and I don’t follow the sport as much, but I think the NBA’s systems like the soft cap, contract exceptions, matching salary in trades etc. predisposes people to think of contracts as percentages of a yearly cap and players as occupying tiers in a roster, while in hockey people focus on specific dollars more because of the hard cap, roster differences, and the lack of cap growth.

This is what I was getting at a few pages ago wondering what the league would look like with a different league’s cap/contract structure. The NBA’s is way too complicated for me to fully understand since it seems like there are so many ways to add players, buyout midseason, or sign for ten days that there really isn’t an impossible to move player. The NFL is fueled by signing bonuses and fights over guaranteed money. MLB doesn’t have one but manipulates service time for young players to keep them under team control longer and has pretty wild rookie pay scales outside of bonuses.

The NHL is pretty straightforward and easy to understand but it makes trades and player movement more difficult compared to those leagues. The only potential gripe I can see is signing bonuses counting towards the average cap hit so you’d get the Homer Weber contract that tried to price out Nashville with huge bonuses in the early years. That said, owners are billionaires so gently caress crying poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1703869871086276815?s=46&t=445Hll_at5LyPmElLbdnnA

:barf: