Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve seen worse 4th line guys than Reaves. In 61g in Minnesota he had 5g10a and only 31PIM. But the thing for me there was the number of fights also trended down (not super far, but it went in a direction).

3 years is a long time for it unless you’re the Islanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
As much as I would like to see teams I follow sign someone today.

I would not like to see the teams I follow sign someone today.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Seattle signs Dumoulin, 2 years $3.15m per

How is that better than Soucy for about the same. Francis is really bad at this.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

AhahahahahahabababababbaabBBBah

When Ron Francis hires anyone we sit here thinking, "what's the connection?" Turns out he drafted Dumoulin in 2009. Dude is an idiot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

You're betting on a bit of a bounceback but this seems more or less fine, doesn't it? His possession numbers with Minnesota were more or less in line with what he'd done in Dallas.

Yeah, he was fine in Minnesota, but he was also a 5/6 D and not someone to play hard minutes. I don't know if that's worth 4m aav, but he can move the puck and does a good job on the PP.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

Hockeyref says he had 44.8/47.4 CF/FF% with MIN in the regular season and 50/50 zone starts. Only his playoff numbers were actually good.

More to the point, I would have rather had a depth LHD to play with Timmins and push Giordano to #7. Or a top 9 forward to fill in the, uh, 2-4 openings available depending on how Knies/Robertson/Lafferty/random Marlies look in camp.

All you need is a Brock Faber to prop him up and produce good balanced numbers. You do have one of those, right?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, if the question is “do the Leafs have forwards that can carry otherwise questionable players to positive possession results” I’d say the answer is definitively yes.

Faber plays D, so the question is if Toronto has someone that can make up for Klingberg’s less than great D to make up for the offensive upside. I think that may be more of a stretch than having forwards who will enjoy the distribution.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

But did he hit a Tim Hortons?

As long as he didn’t hit people with the Tim Horton’s he’d be a hero.

But he didn’t. So isn’t.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Tony Deangelo is a twice bought out piece of poo poo.

Maybe teams should stop giving him contracts.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

How does a 28 year-old Matt Dumba not have a contract going into the season? That's crazy. Tarasenko and Tatar are also unsigned.

Most of the places worth playing don't have cap space? Or if they do, they need to sign 6 contracts in the 9m of space they have. So the option for where to sign is not great for the best UFA this off season. It's a bummer because he's still better than a ton of defenders in the league (as are Tarasenko and Tatar), but the premium is just too high

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The other thing to note is that Dumba hasn't gotten PP time since the injury in 18-19. A decent chunk of his numbers came from running the point on the PP, and he just doesn't have the shot anymore. His passing is still fine, and while his defensive positioning and ability pairs really well with Brodin, he's not a first pairing D anymore and is going to be a second pairing guy for the next 3-5 years. I think he could have had another contract with Minnesota if they had space, but it wasn't going to be a big number contract regardless of the buyouts eating the space.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Tanner Glass started a hockey program in Seattle (mostly for his kid), and seems to be reasonably intelligent. He won’t be publishing on string theory, but he can at least spell.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hiring former players as coaches makes sense. Hiring former players to be effectively the CEO of a hundred million dollar enterprise has always boggled my mind. And really it lays bare what ridiculous profits a major sports team owner takes, and above how how safe those profits are--if it weren't so, there is no way in hell they would hire someone with no background in running a giant business to run their giant business. There really is very little even the worst GM can do to actually damage the franchise's profitability.

Players can learn how to coach while playing a lot easier than they can learn how to run a front office. At least from an on ice perspective it's easy to learn about all the things your coaches are having you do. Once it gets into the people management side, it's more difficult to learn while playing, but some will just have an aptitude in treating people well and can shift right into it. The players that everyone talks about as being good to have in the locker room are likely to still be good to have in the locker room once they're coaching instead of playing.

What I'm saying is welcome to the Toronto coaching staff, Ryan Reaves.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every person in the entire history of the world between age 14 and 24 sincerely believes their parents are the two dumbest people that ever existed so that's not really evidence of the incompetence of doctors

Nor should you count personal experience as generalizable data. I might have not scheduled an appt with that girl's parents though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Emetic Hustler posted:

Do you all think the data collected from the NHL Edge technology will be available to the fancy stats nerds out there or will it be propertiary data? It says it's just started in the 21-22 season, so not much data yet.

I imagine that you'll be able to pay to use the data like you can with Opta, but it'll probably be expensive. So maybe the big accounts will be able to afford and use the fanciest stats, but maybe not for another year or two.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

The other good thing about the contract is it's front-loaded. 9MM this year and 8MM next year, so his cap hit actually declines in the back half. Pretty nice strategy given they had extra space this year and nobody really to give the money to.

Feels like the team overall is worse or the same going into next season, but at least they still have opportunity to improve over the next few years with Wright and Benniers maturing and the cap going up.

The cap hit doesn’t change. It is $7.35m per year for 4 years. The actual salary is mostly front loaded in that it’s 9/8/7/5.4, but it’s the total contract amount divided by length of contract in years to get your Average Annual Value.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

The Coyotes arena is less than half the size of the University of Minnesota arena he was last playing in.

Mariucci is also louder. I was hoping to see him in Maroon and Gold again, but I’m happy he’s getting a contract. Just wish he could have burned a year already. I expect he’ll make a decent transition into the main team playing with notable names like Shea Weber and Bryan Little.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Highly doubt Dumba got a long term offer this offseason

Another casualty of Chuck Fletcher's long term contracts. Even without the buyouts they'd still be cap crunched and would be having to shed contracts again. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd have gotten another contract in Minnesota, but it would have been somewhere in the 3m aav range at the best and they don't even have space for that.

I will forever be wary of any long term high dollar amount contracts. I don't care if they get paid a lot, just make it for 4-5 years and then pay them again.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/bigheadhcky/status/1688237460382461952?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Big Head Hockey asks what everyone in the hockey world has been thinking since the Yotes signed Matt Dumba to play on their top pairing…is Arizona a Wagon??

Sure, but it’s still carrying the dumpster that’s on fire.

They’re in the same place that they’ve been for a decade.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Phil Kessel goes back (and dogs it) to Toronto challenge!

What's the AAV on paying him in hotdogs, asking for my friend Billy G. Seeing as there's about half a contract in cap space left, but Minnesota does love bringing in UFA's who are from (played for) Minnesota.

It was nice to see Amanda get a promotion though, she's always been the smarter one and possibly better at hockey for a longer time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Kite posted:

The Cup is just a coin toss between the healthiest team and the hottest goalie.

The real prize is the Presidents Trophy. Why else would they call it that? You don't see a Prime Ministers trophy.

Because it’s the President’s trophy, the trophy awarded to the team with the most points by the President of the National Hockey League. They just never renamed it like they did with the job turning into the Commissioner. It was the President from 1909 to 1993.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

Looking forward to seeing Canucks hopping onto the ice covered in expensive sushi and watered-down drinks.

I mean, what else can they do? Build something in the massive flat parking lot next to the arena? Provide things to do/restaurants/bars that are closer than the Costco across the street?

Rogers Arena rivals the United Center for being in a decent location surrounded by nothing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I'm gonna be the crumbum and say the only one of those rules I like is the minor penalty still happening if a team scores while it's delayed. Otherwise, it's just rewarding really good powerplays. I like 5 on 5 goals way more.

This has been happening under the NCAA ruleset for a little while. It's been a good thing to still be short even if the team scores. Now they can score twice when you take a penalty. It's not like you get an advantage on the delayed call. You might get a few seconds with the goalie pulled, but you might not.

I'm not sure I like the other changes exactly. Doesn't feel right for the penalized team to get something and get the player back, though it might cause some crazy chance taking.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 30, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

When has an NHL coach ever advocated for risk taking?

Fair.

It reminds me of people saying yellow cards in football/soccer should turn into penalty time where the team plays short. They miss the purpose of how something functions in practice in an effort to punish something that's already been made even (by the foul being called in the first place). I could see this having the same effect the trial of yellow card sin bins did. Referees suddenly stopped using them in places as frequently because of the negative effect of them being used. It will make their jobs more difficult and the reaction to it will be to not call things as tightly because doing so will negatively effect their chances at game management.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wonderllama posted:

Guys I got all these *waves hands* sexual assaults and harassments, what do I do!????

"Can't we just tell Rocky and have him deal with it? Where's he buried?"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

penticton fuckin rules dude

I’m with you. The lake and wineries are great fun. They run some good hockey camps for kids too.

It’s not really that big either and the people in August mostly seemed to like that the prospects tourney was going to be there. Mostly they just wanted fire season to be over before it started (and then it did and everything was blanketed in smoke). That old barn is pretty awesome too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

revtoiletduck posted:

This seems more plausible than Babcock pulling some new insane bullshit before having even coached a game.

I think the problem stems from it seeming plausible in either way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

It's bad that I saw Western and immediately thought it was another Michigan university with issues in its athletic depts.

This is still bad and should not have happened. Seriously, do these people not pay any attention to things outside their house to know what is and is not acceptable behavior? Do they not have safeguarding classes that people take? Maybe they should.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

no way the WJC report sees the light of day until training camp. they see how starved we all are for anything. if this is what airplaying some dick pics and/or family photos gets us, the amount of takes on the report would be mindboggling. they're probably hoping for the day after the (hopefully for ThinkTank) Tyler Myers trade/whatever.

At this point dick pics would be actual news. This isn't even that. It's a dick and someone else's pictures.

I simultaneously want the WJC report and also don't. I want to think that they're going to actually do the right thing and some people will see consequences for assaulting that woman. But I also feel like I'm just going to be disappointed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

We're not... anything.

We're the most important. We poo poo post on the internet and at least one of us has an uncle that works in a front office.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A+ return to the NHL for Babcock. Let this be a lesson for anyone dumbass front offices thinking about hiring Quenville.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

The alternative is to try someone new and one time the new guy made everyone eat fruit so we're not trying that again.

Fake edit: give Bruce another run. He's fun.

Who was supposed to bring the orange slices today, was it Johnny's mom that signed up for it?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Szechwan posted:

Biosteel was weird. I always heard about it via NHL players, their off season camp etc, but actual product-wise I know almost nothing about it.

Was this stuff in stores? I don't recall ever seeing it next to Gatorade or something. At least not where I live in Western Canada.

We could get it in hockey adjacent stores here in Seattle, but I never saw it in a convenience store or anywhere else. I wasn't looking for it either. The bottles were second rate for on the bench, but for being just another gatorade, it was fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Huggybear posted:

sports drinks are so overdone. I was a distance runner for years and nothing beats sweet iced tea because it does everything sports drinks do but it also has caffeine, a known and proven PED (flat coke is nauseating). The second ingredient in everything is sugar, big surprise

This is the truth. I also enjoy hot tea for long days of the exercise. I just get my sugar in other methods in that case.

Chicago was always going to be the villain of the year anyway. Getting to draft Bedard should never have happened.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I’m impressed that Bertuzzi managed to get an inch taller.

Not impressed that anyone showed up 21lbs heavier. That’s just beer leaguer stats right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

https://x.com/mnwild/status/1704945198105542751?s=20
are they doing this on a saturday cause no one will be paying attention due to the football

With the colors in the paint, I don't think it'll matter if there's football, and either way it's just the Gophers playing Northwestern.