Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MJeff posted:

Uh, when I was thinking about the Wings' offseason, "sign homophobes who also happened to be loving terrible at hockey" wasn't what I had in mind, Stevie.

So not as good as Chris Osgood, then? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sounds like a man who awoke from a serious bender to discover they had signed with the Coyotes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

There are more additions than subtractions which is how you know it's good.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Also Sid the Kid is officially 36 today. It's bizarre he's only reached 100pts twice in his past 14 seasons. The guy looked like he was on pace to put up McDavid numbers aged 20.

Since 2014-15, Sidney Crosby has had as many 100pt seasons as Erik Karlsson.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

How long does Letang realistically have left as a productive dman? Someone over the last few pages mentioned that Karlsson may be more a replacement for than complement to Letang, and that seems the prudent assessment - the dude is 36 and relies on his skating, and I can't imagine more than a year left of top pairing capacity, or that he'll age as gracefully as, e.g., Burns, whose size and stride and shot have smoothed his overall decline.

That may also be best for Karlsson - I recall many theories over his first few years in SJ about him needing to be the #1 go-to guy in order to have the confidence to play like the EK we know and love. After all, for all that he struggled with injuries, even when healthy over that span he rarely looked great. And then the first season Burns leaves and he becomes the undisputed #1 again, he looks like his old self - despite being five years older. Curious to see how the dynamic between him and Letang plays out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you want just pure arcadeish silly fun Tape to Tape is pretty great for that.

If you want NHL simulationism, no not really. Getting NHL 04 and installing all the Rebuilt mods is about the best you can do.

Best NHL simulationisms I've ever played were a couple of the earlier NHL2K franchise games, before those also turned arcade-ish. Only console, sadly.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

neoaxd posted:

Detroit people, how's Lindstrom?
From what I can gather he seems like nothing but depth, or AHL top 4. Either way I'm fine with this.

One "n" away from being elite.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

.... If Bedard turns out to be Hockey Jesus ...

For Bedard to be hockey Jesus he has to drag Chicago to a Cup losing the first three games in each round.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Doesn't seem any less sketchy tbh

I have it on good authority that he's showing up to training camp in the sketchiest shape of his life.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hagelin struck me as basically a Michael Grabner / Torrey Mitchell before he broke his leg type player - all the speed and skating ability in the world, can't handle or shoot the puck for poo poo. As noted, those dudes can provide tremendous value if deployed correctly, but are perpetually underpriced because they aren't individual offensive threats. They're not (generally) going to score or set up sick goals through individual effort, but they're brilliant on the PK, they will back check like mad and break up dangerous plays, they'll take the puck end to end to make it seem like something interesting might happen before inevitably losing it when trying to make a play in the offensive zone, and they'll forecheck and work the corners maniacally to get it back and give it to one of the skilled guys who've now been able to set up in the zone thanks to their' Tazmanian devil style antics.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Just put it on the crotch for maximum entertainment value. Make refs have to check crotches to make sure they're arguing with an appropriate representative.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Starsfan posted:

speaking of, reportedly Nils Lundkvist put on 15 pounds of lean muscle in the off-season and is claimed to have produced the best fitness test results of any player in attendance at training camp for the Dallas Stars. So there's your prime candidate for a season ending injury in game 3 of the exhibition season.

Putting on 15 lbs - even of lean muscle - in just a few months is a significant and relatively sudden change that could impact / force one to adapt how one skates, so it's very possible he blows away all the fitness targets and then blows out an ankle on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

We're old, fam.

Yeah I learned today that Stamkos isn't just younger than me - he's ten years younger than me.