Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Leafs signing garbage, and keeping their core and coach intact. Maybe THIS will be the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I missed Engvall getting 7 years. Lou loves signing his bottom of the line-up guys to long lengths. I don't think Engvall will be in the NHL in 7 years. But good for him, he got paid.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am slightly more positive about this team after their Day 2 signings. Just so everyone can update their spreadsheets.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Sidney Crosby seems like he's the type of guy to say "golly gee" when he's excited.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am really happy that I remembered Eric Fehr for yesterday's Leafs/Caps question. Like, that was the first answer that came to mind. I don't think I have even thought of Eric Fehr since 2018.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The difference between ROR and Galchenyuk is simple — Galchenyuk sucks poo poo.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If I was on the path to making the NHL, and had a pretty good chance and being a young millionaire, I'd be the stupidest motherfucker you've ever seen.

Even stupider then I am currently.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

The mid to late 2000s were so wild. We even knew these contracts were dumb at time of signing on 1st July. That Parise/Suter deal was so stupidly huge.

I think the two hallmark awful deals were Gomez and Drury. The lengths weren't as long, but they were signed took up over 14% of the cap (Drury 14.02% and Gomez 14.63%). They were essentially signed to Matthews-like salary cap hits (Matthews was at 14.64% when he signed).

I feel like it's kind of forgotten because $7.3 million doesn't sound so large anymore. And also, the even longer term deals seem more ridiculous.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It was great to be able to watch Bergeron’s career.

Also, just realized we are seeing some of the last pre-lockout players retire.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I thought Anaheim was in a good position to improve last year, then they stayed bad and drafted Carlsson*. They have a lot of young talent and this may be the year!!

*should have been Fantilli.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

2014–17 is probably the most fun I’ve had as a Leafs fan post-lockout. No expectations, drafting high, getting unreasonably excited for the minor successes of rookies and incremental team improvement. Ever since then the Leafs have been good, which I don’t take for granted, but the focus on the ultimate goal and contention has rendered the regular season frustrating and meaningless a lot of the time.

I do have nostalgia for the time I could spend arguing that Peter Holland just needs a chance, because nothing else mattered with the team.

T-Bone posted:

They're going to be horrible again, and their system honestly isn't as far ahead as it should be, although Carlsson helps a lot (but agreed should have been Fantilli).

They had a team wide 39.98% xGF last year, it's hard to overstate how terrible they were.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in them actually improving. I think things looked a little brighter last summer, because right now, it would take way too many things to go right for it to happen. Like, IF Zegras becomes a star, and IF Gibson has a better SV%, and IF Drysdale comes back strong, and IF Carlsson can jump into the league right away, and IF that defense manages to not look like as bad as they appear on paper, and IF...

You get my point.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

16-17 was the funnest year as a Leaf fan. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown and Hyman all as rookies with no expectations as Matthews kept scoring and realizing halfway through the season wait, playoffs might actually happen...

Capped with the excitement of being good enough for JT to actually want to sign compared with Stamkos going LOL No the year before.

2017 was the last year I had fun watching the Leafs in the playoffs. No expectations. Just excited to watch them push the Capitals to the limit, even if they lost in 6.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Simplex posted:

I think I've found in puckdoku that you can put Jagr in pretty much any square and it's probably correct. Goalie for the 1976 Swedish Olympic team? Jagr.

Jagr, Dominic Moore, Lee Stempniak, and Mike Sillinger are my "I don't know, let's try this" guys.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Phil Kessel is my favourite player of all-time, and I think that should help get him inducted.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Island Nation posted:

If we got rid of every chud who was enshrined in the HHOF, it would probably end up with only a dozen people in it. The NHL Top 100 would likely be completely gone too.

Looks like Phil Kessel is the number one player after this new system is implemented.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The 05-06 Sens have to be the best team post-lockout to never win a Cup, right? Like, Emery was fine, but losing Hasek was such a huge blow. At 41, he was playing like a Vezina contender.

You also had arguably the most dominant line in hockey that season (it feels like the most dominant I have ever seen, mostly because I got to watch them destroy the Leafs 8 times that season), a still good Redden, and they still had Chara and Havlat. Also, a surprisingly good secondary cast.

I realize they went to the Finals the next season, but 05-06 really felt like the year. I just looked, and while they lost 4-1 to the Sabres in the semi-finals, they were all 1-goal games. That would have sucked.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I guess it's a hard question to answer because I didn't clarify. I meant more a team that was great over a period of years that never won a Cup, but specifying their best year on paper.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Petry/Ghostbear/Holl/Chiarot/Maata + Seider

That's uhh something

This is one of the weirdest collection of dmen I can remember.

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not sure if I'm ready to label either that forward group or defence as playoff quality yet, but they're clearly still trending in the right direction. They're clogging themselves up with weird mid tier contracts like Copp, Compher, Holl and Chiarot though. They don't hurt yet but they feel like they'll be incredibly regrettable in a couple years.

How is Perron still in the NHL and how is he still producing? Felt like this guy was written off a decade ago, and every time I look, it's like, "oh, yet another 25 goal 55 point season".

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The top twelve except for Boucher are all already NHLers or will be this year. Wyatt Johnston went late in the first and is a boneafide top six guy already. It wasn't the most top heavy draft but it is trending around what you would expect. The talk of guys missing serious development time was a bit unfounded. It's looking like the bigger hit was to guys who went in 2022 and missed their age 15/16 season. Some of the first round picks from that year look horrendous a year later.

Hopefully Rutger McGroarty looks good, because I need him to become a star.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It'd be so cool to see players smoke on the bench. Or see a cigarette hanging out of their mouths as they came down on a breakaway. May be the thing this league needs to become the top league in North America.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I feel bad for the posters who kept saying he’ll be signing in Arizona after his deal. Luckily, we now get another 4 years of these posts!!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Mike_V posted:

How is Sam Gagner not 40 years old

He's one of those guys that not only am I surprised that he's not 40, but also surprised that he's still in the league. Months, maybe even years, will go without me hearing his name.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Thank you for reminding me that the Islanders offered all 7 of their draft picks to jump up two slots to take Ryan Murray in 2012 and the Jackets said no.

To be fair, that draft was dogshit, so I am not sure of the chances of the Jackets ending up with anything better.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was looking up some of the drafts from the 1970s, and noticed a player named Greg Joly was drafted first overall. I had never heard of him, so I went to Wikipedia and saw the Caps GM said he could be the next Bobby Orr. Since you probably don’t know his name, then you already know this didn’t happen. It’s strange, because even his junior numbers don’t look super impressive. At least not ”next Orr” impressive.

And, also to show how ridiculous the numbers in the QMJHL were at the time. Pierre Larouche had 251 points and was drafted 8th.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Starsfan posted:

i remember reading an article about Greg Joly and apparently everyone agrees that he was actually a really good prospect but he was thrown to the wolves in an expansion Washington Capitals team with 0 help at the age of 20 and that experience hosed up his development so much that he could never really move past it.. looks like he became a decent player for Detroit for a few years in the late 70's but never reached his potential obviously.

Yeah, I didn't realize he joined the Caps in their first season where they earned 21 points. I realize +/- means nothing, but he had a -69 in only 44 games (Jack Lynch, another player, had a -54 in 20 games).

The Caps ended up trading their former first overall pick when he was still only 22 for Bryan Watson, who seemed like he was an enforcer in his age-34 season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Wonder how many of those 10 I can name.

Burns, MAF, Giordano, and Pavelski for sure. Bergeron, Mike Smith, and Craig Anderson all retired. So... Jeff Carter, maybe the two oldest Staal brothers, and I now Im out of ideas.

Ovie has to be up there now. Parise, too, but I am unsure if he has a contract or has retired.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am still mad Brad Richards didn't sign with the Leafs in 2011.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's funny to look at the Thrashers only playoff appearance, a 4-0 loss to the NYR, in 06-07. Hossa, Kozlov, and Kovalchuk all with 100, 80, and 76 points, respectively. The next highest? A 40-year old Scott Mellanby with 36.

The team also featured Bobby Holik and Keith Tkachuk. Tkachuk was traded for a 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd at the deadline, which was one of those funny overpay trades still happening shortly after the second lockout. St. Louis would trade one of the 1sts back to Atlanta in the offseason for his negotiating rights.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

They drafted Boris Valabik for that reason.

edit: outside of Kovalchuk and Heatley, they had atrocious early drafting and the drafts around then were bad to begin with.

1999: drafted Stefan, could have had... Tim Connolly? Bad draft.
2002: drafted Lehtonen, could have had... Bouwmeester.
2003: drafted Coburn, could have had... Phaneuf or Carter.
2004: drafted Valabik, could have had... Stafford? Radulov? Bad draft.
2005: drafted Bourret, could have had... Oshie? Cogliano? Bad draft.

I guess back then they didn't know that goalies and defensive Dman can be drafted later. By 2007, they could have had a top 6 of:

Kovalchuk-Carter-Hossa
Radulov-Connolly-Oshie

Within the context of the 2003 draft, Coburn was not a good pick. Any other year, you'd probably be fine with getting an average top-4 defender. However, the bigger issue is that they traded him at 21 at the trade deadline for Zhitnik at the end of his career.

As for Lehtonen, he actually was good, but he couldn't stay healthy. Also, this was still an era where goalies were getting drafted way too high. Then they traded him for practically nothing.

Bad drafts and also bad asset management.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

drat, Babcock is really showing why the Jackets went out and got him. He was already in midseason form.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Peter Chiarelli still riding high on that one Boston Bruins championship that he didn't really build.

I love that even going to Chiarelli's Wikipedia page, it spends a paragraph describing all the great moves Jeff Gorton made before Chiarelli could assume the GM spot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Szechwan posted:

Biosteel was weird. I always heard about it via NHL players, their off season camp etc, but actual product-wise I know almost nothing about it.

Was this stuff in stores? I don't recall ever seeing it next to Gatorade or something. At least not where I live in Western Canada.

I have been able to buy Biosteel at Shoppers and Sobey's. Typically in the vitamin/health sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Preseason previews are here. They start posting 2 a day until the season starts, from worst to first.

Enjoy a new, re vamped fancy but also somewhat unreadable stats chart

I still don't understand if they are saying the offensive rating of a player is actually worth 3-4x more than defensive rating.