Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EVERYWHERE—Claiming that they just couldn’t stand this bullshit anymore, Americans across the country confirmed Thursday that someone, anyone needs to please, just make it stop. “Please, please, please, we’re begging you here, just put an end to it immediately,” said sources, noting that it had all gone way, way too far and they would do almost anything for even a few glorious minutes of respite. “We’re on our hands and knees, pleading with you to make it all go away once and for all. What’s it going to take? Jesus Christ, just stop it! Stop it right now!” At press time, sources confirmed that they knew deep down it was never going to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
https://youtu.be/VCZFuQmoJ3M

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
LOL RIP Twitter, they have massive outages

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Boy if you thought restricting access for non-accounts would be the dumbest change Musk could think of this weekend...

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Boy if you thought restricting access for non-accounts would be the dumbest change Musk could think of this weekend...

I can’t even go to Elmo’s page to verify that. But seems like a terrible excuse to explain this outage

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Having to dodge sponsored KKK posts wasn't enough to get people to stop using Twitter so rate-limiting was the last resort

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQGDwE3yMb0

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Remember AI Seinfeld? Well there's an AI Family Guy now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKuWuXnzQc

A lot about Ireland at the moment. The voices are at least AI generated based off the actual voices used in the show though. Jesus Christ now they are discussing the benefits of a stroke. Countdown until this gets taken down...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

~11minutes for the payoff

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Wrong Theory posted:

Remember AI Seinfeld? Well there's an AI Family Guy now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKuWuXnzQc

A lot about Ireland at the moment. The voices are at least AI generated based off the actual voices used in the show though. Jesus Christ now they are discussing the benefits of a stroke. Countdown until this gets taken down...

Twitch has had an AI Biden vs Trump debate going for a few days now.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Suicide Watch posted:

I can’t even go to Elmo’s page to verify that. But seems like a terrible excuse to explain this outage

It makes sense if they failed to pay some of their hosting provider services at the end of the month and now they're sawing pieces off the plane to try and keep it in the air. How many wings do you need to fly again?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Suicide Watch posted:

LOL RIP Twitter, they have massive outages

l m a o even

what a broken piece of poo poo, Elmo probably didn't pay the server bills

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

l m a o even

what a broken piece of poo poo, Elmo probably didn't pay the server bills

There is speculation that this is because they aren't paying for CDNs and this is all their own servers can deliver.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Amazon putting out a statement 'listen, we'd love to deliver you more tchotchkes but USPS, FedEx, and UPS keep charging us postage stealing packages from us and delivering them to you so from now on we're only allowing you to order one package of no more than 2 kg every month from us, sorry.'

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This has completely broken things like Tweetdeck. Speaking from personal experience, there's a ton of public safety organizations that use Tweetdeck and other monitoring platforms for getting word of a pending incident, and also, researchers monitoring armed conflict. Rhodesian Lowtax is basically just crashing his new toy for the hell of it, and it could have an actual impact on people's lives.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

As stupid as Elon’s decisions are I think this current episode is more about Twitter falling apart internally and not being able to keep up with its hosting bills.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm telling you this loving Nazi is doing it on purpose and people are still like "nah he's just trying to shitpost harder."

He bought it for billions, and instantly reinstated far-right accounts, kneecapping liberal government agencies ,and leftist voices. He's buried any news that spreading about Ukraine all the time.

If it burns down by becoming a Nazi cesspool it's mission accomplished for Elon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

good well sounds like everyone's got a great excuse to log off then

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
AI Seinfeld was indistinguishable from regular Seinfeld, hope AI Family Guy can do the same

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Very nice, very evil wrestler Danhausen has the right of it

https://twitter.com/DanhausenAD/status/1675197236819492870?t=FYbRbqDMG7zJw8pDcCLwLQ&s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm hoping someone gets a "you can't scroll further" error message.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

As stupid as Elon’s decisions are I think this current episode is more about Twitter falling apart internally and not being able to keep up with its hosting bills.

Apparently they had a contract with Google with a renewal date of

June 30th!

All really makes sense once you track that bit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I've decided to quote tweet a message that would have resulted in a nearly instantaneous ban on pre-Musk twitter. Ironically, it's about Musk himself. It's been up for nearly 30 minutes, let's see how long that, as well as my account, lasts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A.o.D. posted:

I've decided to quote tweet a message that would have resulted in a nearly instantaneous ban on pre-Musk twitter. Ironically, it's about Musk himself. It's been up for nearly 30 minutes, let's see how long that, as well as my account, lasts.

https://twitter.com/jayher17/status/1675215521200107520?t=jOGk-OiFVhUk7WjuWDtGAA&s=19

The alternative explanation is that people that used the API found a workaround to paying for it, right at the same time the Google hosting expired and Elon can't figure out how to throttle the traffic effectively.

Edit: lol Tesla's quarterlies come out tomorrow too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Apparently they had a contract with Google with a renewal date of

June 30th!

All really makes sense once you track that bit

Do you have a source? That would make sense but all I've seen is speculation that's what's happening.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Amazon putting out a statement 'listen, we'd love to deliver you more tchotchkes but USPS, FedEx, and UPS keep charging us postage stealing packages from us and delivering them to you so from now on we're only allowing you to order one package of no more than 2 kg every month from us, sorry.'

I'd be ok with a monthly Amazon drop, i hate the inefficiency when i order stuff weeks apart and get two separate boxes on the same day.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

Do you have a source? That would make sense but all I've seen is speculation that's what's happening.

Where I saw it, will post better source if possible:

https://twitter.com/RiverTamYDN/status/1675164339274240001?t=9Y_St5KTfJgWsclhovtWig&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao, thanks.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

lmao, thanks.

Original source from the 11th: https://www.engadget.com/twitter-has-reportedly-refused-to-pay-its-google-cloud-contract-161936042.html

Source that twitter is paying again: https://www.engadget.com/twitter-has-supposedly-started-paying-its-google-cloud-bill-again-213824844.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Just like Trump fr fr

lol he can’t even commit to following his leader

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
All of the Twitter ads I'm getting are now in German. :lol:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/jayher17/status/1675215521200107520?t=jOGk-OiFVhUk7WjuWDtGAA&s=19

The alternative explanation is that people that used the API found a workaround to paying for it, right at the same time the Google hosting expired and Elon can't figure out how to throttle the traffic effectively.

Edit: lol Tesla's quarterlies come out tomorrow too

The scraping is coming from inside the house

creatine posted:

well have I got news for your

It's pretty clear most of the issues are Elon-related one way or the other, either from decisions that spawned increased scraping, the idiotic attempts to try and deal with the 'pirates', or some additional behind-the-scenes complication like deciding you don't need a CDN anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1640502698549075972

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Twitter failing, Reddit in a major jam due to corporate poo poo? If Meta crashes this week talk about the hat trick I've been dying to see

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eason the Fifth posted:

Twitter failing, Reddit in a major jam due to corporate poo poo? If Meta crashes this week talk about the hat trick I've been dying to see

If this happens, Biden and/or the surgeon general ought to take the podium to celebrate independence from social media. :911:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Meanwhile, SA just chugs along. Makes me feel warm inside :3:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Torrannor posted:

Meanwhile, SA just chugs along. Makes me feel warm inside :3:

That was the big shocker of the past few years - that Jeff took a look at the financials and saw SA to be actually profitable. And Jeff isn't pulling a capitalism and adding dumb poo poo at high cost - just keeping on keeping on

Twitter had posted a few profitable quarters, then in comes Elon saddling the thing up with debt the size of $texas and turning it to poo poo, ensuring he can't pay it off. Same poo poo newspaper conglomerates are doing. Would've been funny if Jeff did that with SA on a leveraged buyout :v:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Eason the Fifth posted:

All third party reddit apps are down because reddit decided to start charging for its API or some poo poo like that.

The official reddit app sucks rear end in a top hat.

Good riddance I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

That was the big shocker of the past few years - that Jeff took a look at the financials and saw SA to be actually profitable.

I've heard among people that worked at restaurants a lot that if a restaurant that seems very successful goes under it's generally because the owner treats it like his own private piggy bank and I have a suspicion that's what might have happened here