Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

All third party reddit apps are down because reddit decided to start charging for its API or some poo poo like that.

The official reddit app sucks rear end in a top hat.

Good riddance I guess.

Apparently the new reddit CEO is a Muskovite and speaks entirely rear end in a top hat. So he's at the helm intending to jump ship with a golden parachute or something when he can sell Reddit to someone else.

Except reddit has never turned a profit and new funding rounds are blocked from the Fed nuking venture capital. l o l and l m a o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Lmao reddit is so hosed. Absolutely everyone is jumping ship because its app is unusable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

the new reddit CEO

Steve Huffman, a.k.a. “spez” isn’t new. He is one of Reddit’s cofounders, the one who didn’t marry Serena Williams and get embarrassingly into NFTs*.

He’s been CEO continuously since 2015 and for some time prior to that, with a short interregnum where Ellen Pao was CEO and took all the heat, but during which Huffman was probably calling the shots anyway.

*He spent a bunch of money implementing NFTs on the Reddit platform but as far as I know he didn’t have a Lazy Ape as his Twitter profile picture, buy an ape in honor of his wife, and get into fights on Twitter about it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 1, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Steve Huffman, a.k.a. “spez” isn’t new. He is one of Reddit’s cofounders, the one who didn’t marry Serena Williams and get embarrassingly into NFTs*.

facialimpediment posted:

l o l and l m a o

man that makes things even dumber, I thought he was just recently put / became in control or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Reddit app is complete dogshit now and has been for a long time, but it was not always dogshit. It was once a quite good third party app called “Alien Blue”.

Reddit bought Alien Blue and ran it into the ground.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Boost on Android still seems to be working for me. The developer sent a notification yesterday that it would stip working along with all the others, but I literally just refreshed it :shrug:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Reddit Is Fun or RIF was a good app but its dead now

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Reddit Is Fun or RIF was a good app but its dead now

All of the good 3rd party apps are dead. They would have probably gotten away with killing them if they didn’t do it by killing the API, which also killed all of the tools that unpaid moderation staff used to keep control of their subreddits. They could have just changed the TOS and nuked the third party competition with c/d letters with minimal waves but they went full idiot and tried to monetize the API without putting anything in place for the unpaid employees that keeps Reddit somewhat manageable. It’s unfortunate because there are a ton of really niche subreddits that have no community elsewhere on the web.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They "tried to monetize the API" as much as Twitter did. They intentionally set a price they knew none of these companies would be able to afford. Shutting them down was the intent, but you could see from a lot of bootlickers on reddit that people bought into the idea that reddit was just being reasonable.

If they had instituted a market rate and insisted on pushing ads through the API unless they got a cut of subscription fees I think the 3rd party devs would have been on board. But they didn't do something like that, because monetization wasn't the issue.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

If monetization isn’t the issue, what do they dislike about 3rd party apps?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lake of Methane posted:

Data collection and ads.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Silicon Valley / Venture Capital model requires ever growing profits and the Fed turned off the free money hose, so you're seeing Reddit, Musk, and everyone else trying to squeeze as much blood from the stone as they can even if it spells long term doom for their respective businesses.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

They "tried to monetize the API" as much as Twitter did. They intentionally set a price they knew none of these companies would be able to afford. Shutting them down was the intent, but you could see from a lot of bootlickers on reddit that people bought into the idea that reddit was just being reasonable.

If they had instituted a market rate and insisted on pushing ads through the API unless they got a cut of subscription fees I think the 3rd party devs would have been on board. But they didn't do something like that, because monetization wasn't the issue.

User data, and its monetization, is the issue. Reddit wants to go public and make a lot of money. The issue is that everything is dependent on unpaid users and mods, they have no incentive other than the experience and if that goes to poo poo, there's no reason to stay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

They want the user data and to control the user experience. The official app allows all sorts of data collection and user experience manipulation (like inserting posts in their feed) they can't do via 3rd parties. They can also insert more elaborate ads than they could through an API, I guess.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The API thing is already killing subreddits, and it's a bummer. I've had a handful of niche subs disable comments because posts are getting spammed with bullshit ads for one of those wish or shien knockoff sites.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lake of Methane posted:

Reddit’s CEO stated, publicly, two weeks ago, that Elon Musk’s handling of Twitter was an inspiration to him.

Your guess is as good as mine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/reddit-blackout-protest-private-ceo-elon-musk-huffman-rcna89700 posted:

In an interview Thursday [June 15] with NBC News, Reddit CEO Steve Huffman praised Musk’s aggressive cost-cutting and layoffs at Twitter, and said he had chatted “a handful of times” with Musk on the subject of running an internet platform.

Huffman said he saw Musk’s handling of Twitter, which he purchased last year, as an example for Reddit to follow.

“Long story short, my takeaway from Twitter and Elon at Twitter is reaffirming that we can build a really good business in this space at our scale,” Huffman said.

“Now, they’ve taken the dramatic road,” he added, “and I guess I can’t sit here and say that we’re not either, but I think there’s a lot of opportunity here.”

Musk shocked Silicon Valley peers with his deep-cost cutting at Twitter and began his ownership of the company last fall by axing most of the company’s employees in a chaotic series of decisions that left some people doubting whether Twitter would be able to stay online.

quote:

“And then I think one of the nonobvious things that Elon showed is what I was hoping would be true, which is: You can run a company with that many users in the ads business and break even with a lot fewer people,” Huffman said.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Break even? Hasn't twitter taken a shellacking

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

All break, no even.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even to the extent that Twitter was in the red, which is basically lying with accounting because of a one‐time settlement in the last fiscal year, it’s still true that the amount of money that Musk paid for Twitter—and for that matter the amount of money that Twitter has lost in valuation since—could have covered the budget shortfalls for literally decades.

It’s like being concerned that your convertible’s roof has a leak it in, so you put the roof down.

e: That’s unfair. It’s a sedan that he took a Sawzall to.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The '20's dot-com bubble round two, where everyone finds out that you can only sell so much cheap imported poo poo, games that make you cum in under 10 seconds and boxed mattresses, and that's the only way these hundreds of billions of dollars worth of tech companies make money sure is gonna be fun.

Social Media is complete brain poison, and we'd be better off without it, so we may come out ahead.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bengy81 posted:

The API thing is already killing subreddits, and it's a bummer. I've had a handful of niche subs disable comments because posts are getting spammed with bullshit ads for one of those wish or shien knockoff sites.

Lol Shien just sent social media influencers to tour carefully chosen and prepped overseas factories to see “labor conditions” and they got a bit of flack for comments like how the workers aren’t even sweating much.

But yeah a lot of fun tiny communities seem to be gone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Social Media is complete brain poison, and we'd be better off without it, so we may come out ahead.

I came around to this view only recently and I think it started with witnessing the rise of the "influencer" profession and digging into how abusive and manipulative the business around social media is.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
things seem to be going COMPLETELY NORMAL in France.

https://vxtwitter.com/NotoriousPBG/status/1675084864796921858

Its normal for police to declare they won't follow the law or government orders, and will implement a final solution to the immigrant problem, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Its normal for police to declare they won't follow the law or government orders, and will implement a final solution to the immigrant problem, right?

Brother, I'm an American. I think you quoted Arpaio's campaign site.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Fivemarks posted:

Need to start screenshotting things with how Twitter is breaking

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Need to start screenshotting things with how Twitter is breaking

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thank you, for some reason I can't upload a screenshot on my phone

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Thank you, for some reason I can't upload a screenshot on my phone

If you're using one of the third-party SA apps that used to have automatic image uploading, I believe they disabled that when imgur changed its terms of service to delete old inactive images.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Where do the Gendarmerie align in all of this?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I tried to copy the translation, which I had just read, but Twitter broke and won't expand the tweet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

The third republic has the post 1789 record of 70 years, 65 years is a pretty good run all told.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

hobbesmaster posted:

The third republic has the post 1789 record of 70 years, 65 years is a pretty good run all told.

It doesn't matter what they call it, it always eventually turns into the Directory. At least they didn't end up with a King the past couple of times.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Its been a good while since high school French but even the bits I can pick out are :stare:

Plus all this was kicked off by cops straight up murdering a 17 year old in a traffic stop.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

"ALLIANCE

NATIONAL POLICE

Police

Press release

Paris, June 30, 2023

NOW THAT'S ENOUGH ...

Faced with these wild hordes, asking for calm is no longer enough, you have to impose it!

Restoring republican order and putting those arrested out of harm's way should be the only political signals to give.

Faced with such abuses, the police family must show solidarity.

Our colleagues, like the majority of citizens, can no longer endure the dictates of these

violent minorities.

Now is not the time for union action but for the fight against these pests”. Submitting, capitulating and pleasing them by laying down their arms are not the solutions given the gravity of the situation.

All means must be put in place to restore the rule of law as quickly as possible.

Once recovered, we already know that we will relive this poo poo that we suffer

for decades

For these reasons Alliance Police Nationale and UNSA Police will take their responsibilities and warn the Government now that at the end, we will be in the action and without concrete measures of legal protection of the Police, of adapted penal response, of consequent means brought, the Police will judge the height of the consideration given.

Today the police are in combat because we are at war.

Tomorrow we will be in resistance and the Government will have to realize this.

National offices Alliance Police Nationale and UNSA Police. "

A quick Google lens translate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The French of all people should realize that 1930s Germany is not a how-to manual.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wow translated it just sounds like every US police press release since Rodney King

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
just lol that the french cops think they're going to stop french rioters by being even more fascist

french rioters have more experience than the cops do

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I am curious as to how it will turn out. Is it just a strong statement, will they crack down ala Algeria? I would hope that LaPens dipshits didn't have that much of a reach, but it is 2023.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

The French of all people should realize that 1930s Germany is not a how-to manual.

I think they’re following a different manual.

Vive de Gaulle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1675300934254219264?t=zCVP5zLFvw25-hbvV6ycGg&s=19

"Other sign of the breakdown of institutional order in France. In Lorient ⬇️ 20-30 young men from the French marines decided on their time off to form a militia and "hunt rioters". The French police interviewed: "we let it happen because it relieved us.""

https://www.letelegramme.fr/france/a-lorient-une-bien-etrange-brigade-anticasseurs-6384687.php