Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

That's a didn't even try amount of weight. Also, I wonder if fighters do enemas before trying to hit weight.

We only have proof of that one guy on TUF. Not sure how many others would admit it.

If one man can hold you down, two can give you an enema, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Michel Pereira missed weight by 4 pounds and now the Wonderboy fight might not happen.

3 lbs technically, since it's not a title fight. Also Vinicius Salvador at 128.5 for a Flyweight fight but I have no loving clue who that is and neither does anyone else.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

if joe silva knows so much about mma why doesn't he post here?

the garv dot com posted here

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

3 lbs technically, since it's not a title fight. Also Vinicius Salvador at 128.5 for a Flyweight fight but I have no loving clue who that is and neither does anyone else.

I choose not to observe the extra pound allowance because it's funnier this way.

Negotiations have fallen through, Thompson/Pereira is off. Lewis/de Lima is now on the main card and has also leapfrogged Chiesa/Holland and Ferguson/Green in the bout order, which, y'know, probably makes sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Negotiations have fallen through, Thompson/Pereira is off.

I wonder how split of Dana’s anger is drawn between the overweight fighter and the fighter who refuses to take on the weight disadvantage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder how split of Dana’s anger is drawn between the overweight fighter and the fighter who refuses to take on the weight disadvantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7NTHSdquw&t=91s

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Which guy losing this weekend is gonna make you most sad?

For me it's probably Lewis, since I've resigned myself to Tony Ferguson being fully cooked and or washed. Though Bobby Green losing will be disappointing, too.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Probably Ferguson because I'm fully expecting him to get slept for an uncomfortably long time again

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LobsterMobster posted:

Which guy losing this weekend is gonna make you most sad?

For me it's probably Lewis, since I've resigned myself to Tony Ferguson being fully cooked and or washed. Though Bobby Green losing will be disappointing, too.

I was actually looking at the card and got bummed when I saw Lewis was now an undercard fighter on the prelims.

Saddest has to be Ferguson, though. He’s basically been a tragedy since he saw the man in the wall.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

And it was only like two months ago that Tony flipped his truck in an alleged DUI incident.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Also it’s super weird that all of this is going up against Spence vs Crawford -probably the most interesting boxing match since (at least) Wilder Fury 2. I can’t imagine watching whatever mma fight actually goes head to head with it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

blue footed boobie posted:

Also it’s super weird that all of this is going up against Spence vs Crawford -probably the most interesting boxing match since (at least) Wilder Fury 2. I can’t imagine watching whatever mma fight actually goes head to head with it.

There's also Super Rizin 2 and Bellator X Rizin 2, but those lost some shine with late drop outs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of weigh ins though Derrick Lewis looks to be in fantastic shape for him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

There's also Super Rizin 2 and Bellator X Rizin 2, but those lost some shine with late drop outs

I'm guessing one of those is being broadcast through some weird service nobody's heard of and the other is being broadcast on a normal services but on like a 16 hour tape delay?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

I'm guessing one of those is being broadcast through some weird service nobody's heard of and the other is being broadcast on a normal services but on like a 16 hour tape delay?

Bellator x Rizin is on Showtime at the time of it happening and I think Super Rizin is on Fite.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Bellator x Rizin is on Showtime at the time of it happening and I think Super Rizin is on Fite.

Thanks!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1685007307883659264
this is sick.

https://twitter.com/SpectationNet/status/1685094691379822592
this too (well not the late hits)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

the garv dot com posted here

Don't summon him.

BlindSite posted:

In terms of weigh ins though Derrick Lewis looks to be in fantastic shape for him.

This reminds me, for some reason, of Shawn Jordan, who was supposed to be a new breed of athletic heavyweight who could do backflips and was going to dominate. Right up until Cheick Kongo pressed him into the fence for 15 minutes. He talked about how he didn't really bother training much since he'd not noticed much difference in his performance when he did. If that isn't the most heavyweight story I don't know what is.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this is not mma related. i just think people should see it. i accept my probation.

https://twitter.com/gucci1017/status/1684784560653934594

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
god, why is ferguson fighting on this card or at all. I want to watch the rest of it but that is going to be a downer and everyone but tony seems to know it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

this is not mma related. i just think people should see it. i accept my probation.

https://twitter.com/gucci1017/status/1684784560653934594

You get amnesty on the condition that you root for Poirier tomorrow. This is the rule.

teemolover42069 posted:

god, why is ferguson fighting on this card or at all. I want to watch the rest of it but that is going to be a downer and everyone but tony seems to know it

The UFC is not yet done extracting the marrow from his bones.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I have this weird feeling that Tony's going to show enough flashes of his old self to win this one. I base this on absolutely nothing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I feel like this is not a sport where former top starts turn back the clock for a night like Gretzky scoring three identical slapshots while he was with the Rangers. Sharp trends are usually monotonic.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's tough, because Green is starting to degenerate too. But even in their prime I think Green would've presented a difficult match for Ferguson. Tony was at his best when he could either hurt people who were overaggressively coming in on him, break people with pressure and damage, or one followed by the other. Green thrived off sniping people coming his way and getting the hell out of range. Green's tendency to hang out on the cage could've gotten him eaten up by Ferguson's elbows if he let him get into the clinch, but I dunno, man.

But all of that feels basically irrelevant to this fight, this is just, like, whose hips still work better and who has more cerebrospinal fluid left.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Trillhouse posted:

Hexagone 10

French is s difficult language.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

French is s difficult language.

Excusez moi, but in French two of the sides are silent.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CarlCX posted:

But all of that feels basically irrelevant to this fight, this is just, like, whose hips still work better and who has more cerebrospinal fluid left.

Savage

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

30 minutes til early prelims, not sure if the fight cancellations will be we get some dead air at the beginning.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brut posted:

30 minutes til early prelims, not sure if the fight cancellations will be we get some dead air at the beginning.

my guess is probably a lot of b-roll in the earlys

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

It's tough, because Green is starting to degenerate too. But even in their prime I think Green would've presented a difficult match for Ferguson. Tony was at his best when he could either hurt people who were overaggressively coming in on him, break people with pressure and damage, or one followed by the other. Green thrived off sniping people coming his way and getting the hell out of range. Green's tendency to hang out on the cage could've gotten him eaten up by Ferguson's elbows if he let him get into the clinch, but I dunno, man.

Yeah, it all hinges on Tony's ability to take a shot which was noticeably absent during the Diaz fight. Green hits loving hard and hits accurately so while the longer the fight goes - the advantage is definitely with Tony due to his ludicrous cardio, I can see Green shutting his lights out

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The prelims were originally scheduled to start at 3:30, so since they moved it up to the top of the hour it should hopefully be minimal. But they always had 3 fights for 90 minutes and now it's 2 fights for 60, so you're inevitably gonna hit some.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038130

GDT is up. See y'all at 4.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Oh no

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Goddamn. That was a total destruction.

Edit wrong thread.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Benson Cunningham posted:

As always, a lot of good takes by CarlCX. The one I disagree with is Derrick Lewis. I have this one going to Marcos Rogério de Lima. That said, this is like making Old Yeller fight... a different, other Old Yeller from the farm next door. I think the wheels have just entirely come off of Lewis. The moment he gets touched up, he visibly doesn't want to be there any more. Short of a miracle KO in the opening 60 seconds, Lewis is going down by knockout.

Narrator: And it turned out miracles do happen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

You get amnesty on the condition that you root for Poirier tomorrow. This is the rule.

put 200 on bud / poirier multi in tribute to amnesty and jase

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Catching up on Bellator. Annoying grappleman Danny Sabatello lost to Magomed Magomedov. Yay!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

put 200 on bud / poirier multi in tribute to amnesty and jase

my deep sympathies for amnesty cosing you the other half of your bet

LobsterMobster posted:

Catching up on Bellator. Annoying grappleman Danny Sabatello lost to Magomed Magomedov. Yay!

good, we don't need another worse colby covington

UFC ended just in time for the Horiguchi fight, so hopefully that's not sad either.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

my deep sympathies for amnesty cosing you the other half of your bet

eh, if you're gonna lose, lose in a rad way

coathat
May 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

UFC ended just in time for the Horiguchi fight, so hopefully that's not sad either.

Instant eye poke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kyoji horiguchi is loving cursed