Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

Yeah, definitely bit of a fake glove touch there,

watched it again and i sort of disagree. he held out his gloves to touch but the opponent was moving towards him with his gloves up for just long enough that i don't blame him for thinking it was just on and cocking the high kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

that's very cool and interesting. it took drew barrymore and forum poster beeswax working together over 20 years to bring me this factoid.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah I'm usually borderline-unconscious after a second or so on OnlyFans too

gotta keep hydrated

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlindSite posted:

When I was in Thailand they had kids as young as like 10 fighting on the undercard. Then teenagers and then actual adults. I think the main event was a french dude who got knocked dead by an Australian. It's like soccer or rugby over there and kids competing is as normal as any other sport.

there are, iirc, significantly different rules for the kids for obvious reasons

LobsterMobster posted:

Except a lot of those kids have to fight to make money for their families and research shows children Thai fighters have significantly lower cognitive function than Thai children who don't get punched in the head 3 times a week

part of that is also because those families come from significantly poorer/less well off conditions and so 'selling' (for lack of a better word) their kid to a gym for the hopes of making them into a big money muay thai fighter is all they have.

it's probably in some ways comparable to people in the usa from poor socioeconomic backgrounds dumping all their resources into getting their kid into football or baseball in the hopes it'll get them out of poverty. there's been tons of examples of NCAA football stars not having reading beyond a 3rd grade level for example.

its not a defense of the system, jfyi

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 22, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1682412239150624770

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Everyone should be rooting against Johnny Parsons tomorrow because he's a jerk and once beat up a goon for no reason.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Everyone should be rooting against Johnny Parsons tomorrow because he's a jerk and once beat up a goon for no reason.

which goon

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

chaleski posted:

I have no idea what this means

Marching Powder posted:

that's very cool and interesting. it took drew barrymore and forum poster beeswax working together over 20 years to bring me this factoid.

damnit, I read last page just waiting to tease them for not ever seeing donnie darko :laugh:

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

The best part is Yamazaki LOST that fight to the 12 year old by rear naked choke in round 1. That must've been a fairly strong child.

https://twitter.com/BasedDongeezus/status/866685090327179264

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Lone Goat posted:

which goon

His brother. Johnny Parsons is a jerk and a butthead!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

His brother. Johnny Parsons is a jerk and a butthead!

Gotta see their post history before I take sides on this one

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nothing like the ufc president showing up to promote the qanon movie starring jim cavezel on cage warriors broadcasts on fight pass

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Must be a good movie. I'll have to check it out if a dude who likes bedazzled belt buckles does.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037577

I woke up on time for a British fight card and I will never forgive myself. Come to the GDT, prelims in about 20.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Marching Powder posted:

watched it again and i sort of disagree. he held out his gloves to touch but the opponent was moving towards him with his gloves up for just long enough that i don't blame him for thinking it was just on and cocking the high kick

my initial reaction was "oooh, poo poo - fake tap ko!" then watched it back immediately and came away with the conclusion of it being clean in my eyes

coathat
May 21, 2007

That guy throws the same kick at the start of like all his fights apparently.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wife: hey i know you're watching the fights but....

wife: :staredog:
me: ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK I SWEAR

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mekchu posted:

We drops it and makes it pops, don't we, Precious?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

my partners have ceased to remark on me having really strange reactions to inexplicable behaviours by shirtless men on the television

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mekchu posted:

two out of every five heavyweight contenders suffer from hot balls. donate now and we, together, can make hot balls a thing of the past.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmaoooo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1681404333361905672

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

holy poo poo ahahahaha

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
In case theres any local sun conspiracy theorists on here, the answer is that the sun is about 400 times as big as the moon but also about 400 times as far away.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nierbo posted:

In case theres any local sun conspiracy theorists on here, the answer is that the sun is about 400 times as big as the moon but also about 400 times as far away.

Idk if you can get that across to a concussed johnny walker

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mfw someone teaches me the sun and the moon are the same apparent size

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

feeling a lot of Judement in here

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

idk anyone irl who believes the moon is real

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Many years ago when I had a better attention span, people were getting mad about their opponents greasing. Has that been a thing in the last decade?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How can the moon be real when rankings aren’t real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the moon is not corn to the core

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

And anytime you see the Moon, hey, Jude, like dude
Just know it's a plant by Deep Sun lizards
For well you know that the sheeple will think it's real
Because the "moon" houses their lasers :tinfoil:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ariza posted:

Many years ago when I had a better attention span, people were getting mad about their opponents greasing. Has that been a thing in the last decade?

The athletic commissions changed it so it's a neutral official applying vaseline to the brow of the athletes rather than their own cornerman - that's to prevent the thing where the cornerman would grease the brow then rub their back.

BUT there's stories of guys soaking in vaseline before the bout and that's basically unenforceable if the grease/oil is soaked into their pores.

So I guess there's a lot less public complaining but it's just as dirty as it ever was.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Gilbert Burns said Masvidal had lotioned up for their fight, but then walked it back

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Masvidal just bears the inherent filth from his Mark of Trumq

mewse
May 2, 2006

Human skin produces oil? Well surprisingly that's also illegal

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I say this as a fan of both Poirier and Gaethje, but the only win over a relevant lightweight either guy has in recent memory is Fiziev. Chandler's got a high ranking, but he's 2-3 in the UFC and those two wins are Dan Hooker and Tony Ferguson. Dustin spent a lot of time beating up Conor and that has no bearing on the division.

It's gonna be a good fight, but should it mean the winner is next for a title shot? I dunno.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Fiziev has a better record in the UFC but his only important win in my eyes was Dos Anjos. Chandler's record isn't amazing UFC wise but if you look at the fights, he is dangerous every single second and betting against him is always a huge gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Poirier being the classiest of acts in victory as McGregor got carted off while screaming about being in his wife's DMs was so incredibly funny that: he is allowed at least two undeserved title shots and when he retires he gets to watch that clip play while he cries picture-in-picture like the Lawler retrospective