Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lets go preachers daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whittaker probably is the next logical fight for him tbh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Man, I disagree. And while I do dislike Strickland, it's not even about distaste, it's just that he doesn't have the wins.

If you look at their last five fights, Whittaker beat the #5 guy in Darren Till, dominated the #2 guy in Jared Cannonier, dominated the #8 guy (thanks, UFC) in Kelvin Gastelum, lost a real close decision to the champ in Adesanya and dominated the #2 guy in Vettori, and now he's about to fight the #5 guy in Dricus Du Plessis, who also happens to be the only person left in the top 8 Izzy or Pereira didn't kill yet.

In Sean Strickland's last five he beat Jack Hermansson, who was #6 and that was good, and then he got murdered to death by Alex Pereira, and then he got worked by the aforementioned Jared Cannonier, and his recovery has been beating the #12 ranked Nassourdine Imavov, a guy who'd been getting hosed up by Phil Hawes a year prior, and stopping Abus Magomedov, an unranked guy who had one UFC fight and it was against the 1-4 Dustin Stoltzfus.

Whittaker is a former champ who has only lost to the current champ, has beaten most of the top ten in the division, and is fighting in what has already been labeled a title eliminator next. Sean Strickland has zero top five wins in the UFC in his entire career and he's spent this year fighting guys underneath him. The two times they gave him an opponent with title implications he choked. I think he needs to beat someone who actually matters again before they send him up to a contendership fight.

Personally I'd like to see Strickland vs Brendan Allen 2, since Allen's got a lot of momentum and it would be a good launchpad for one of them, but that would probably be unfair to Strickland because he'd be fighting down yet again. I think Strickland vs Paulo Costa would be both a great placement match and an entertaining style matchup, but Costa's booked in ANOTHER top ten-vs-unranked match, because things are stupid.

With the people who are currently unbooked, I think Strickland vs Vettori is a good pole position fight. You don't gently caress up the Whittaker/DDP booking, you don't run back Strickland/Cannonier which was just six months ago, and you give Strickland a chance to actually break into the top five again, and if Izzy beats the winner of Whittaker/DDP and Strickland beats Vettori it gives him a challenger in the top five he hasn't already crushed.

i forgot bobby has a fight lined up

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is the stupidest poo poo i have ever had to watch

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

I know it's a mistake to do this, but I was curious what Dana was saying in the post fight presser, and he apparently didn't think there was a racial thing with Izzy / Dricus. Interesting way to play it.

izzy is going to vaporize him and i cant wait

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Scapegoat posted:

My 14 month old decided to have a meltdown for an hour so I missed the volk fight. I know the result and have seen the finish. Is it worth watching the fight?

yes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shogun was younger than lyoto :psyduck:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ilmucche posted:

This is a pure grappling competition then

i thought it was them playing the video game, grappling is way more interesting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That's not a thing he can do, though.

man if there is something that this stupid sport has ever taught me,

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

idk anyone irl who believes the moon is real

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brut posted:

30 minutes til early prelims, not sure if the fight cancellations will be we get some dead air at the beginning.

my guess is probably a lot of b-roll in the earlys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know if this is true at all but because it's about Derrick Lewis it actually sounds 100% loving believable.

trust me its a lot more true than you'd think.