Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

i hate it here

(in case twitter embeds continue to be poo poo - there will be a powerslap match on the ufc 290 youtube weigh in show tomorrow)

I think the crowd might be 50/50 on booing it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/5QxMpl0.mp4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

the lead-up to the fight with DDP

Have to reclaim this for Diamond Dustin Poirier.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the more common ones is 'lift and carry' which is simply large women (like, over six foot) playfully pursuing smaller men and women around a room until they catch them, after which they simply carry them around in various ways. That's the whole thing. There's no sex and often no nudity.

Glad that Gabi Garcia has a good career path after non-apartment wrestling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've been following Barry Robinson on IG for a while. The material isn't particularly well presented, but he has a lot of good points around skill vs grit, and the common tell he labels the rhythm step.

He got a shout-out from Bo Nickal, and shares a bit from behind the scenes in camp on the gameplanning

https://i.imgur.com/1oxD9gh.mp4

E: good example of his disjointed railing against the lack of coherent development plans and film/data based approach to high level fight training:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuGwOCrpxLm

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 10, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guy Fieri (who's pretty left leaning afaik) got pulled up for shaking hands with DT, too. A lot of pressure for decorum, I'm sure, for whatever that may be at an event where people are expected to knock each others' heads off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Fuckin boer.txt, what a stupid rear end in a top hat.

He forgot "we were taught African colonialism in school."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:hmmyes:
https://youtube.com/shorts/nWijqOvhMzs?feature=share

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

But the whole point of following MMA here and nowhere else is to avoid the world's shittiest opinions. I don't see the need for people to import them into this thread, and I'd prefer not to be involved with their bad take fetish.

I'm ok with knowing context going into a fight. Carl's previews continue to confront the industry/ landscape in which fighters work, and that lets us be informed fans. As he's shown, it is impossible to separate the sport at this level from the capricious and unsatisfying matchmaking. We're basically always rooting against Dana in every fight and every inconveniencing outcome.
We root against Colby cuz he's a willing participant to the MAGA movement. I suppose some might not like his style in a vacuum, too. I have zero problem keeping up to date in as objective way as possible how much of a shithead every fighter is. Keep reminding me that Izzy is transphobic. Let me know if GSP rolls with Elon again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Keptbroom posted:

Just a supplement

In case people don't remember/know, Harris tested positive for the SARM LGD-4033 five years ago, and had a lighter suspension when one of his supplements was contaminated with it. Seems very possible he has continued playing the sketchy supplement game like Yoel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

We'll know for sure pretty soon since they all need to register their supps and batch numbers

His post makes me think he found something decent that had plausible deniability but was too sketchy to even register.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dang Nugenix is raking it in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Also CTE. Which I see in Dan Hardys future if he fights at 41.

The CTE was in an MCU movie?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FishBowlRobot posted:

loving hell, I didn’t realize Jamahal Hill got his injury during a fighter basketball game. His team lost to Cormier’s team, even.

That jibes -- i feel like it's harder to load up the Achilles eccentrically in mma-like training, esp without shoes to enhance grip.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rico DiSciullo is someone from the New England scene.
The most promising fighter out of my gym, who split fights with Andre Soukhamthath and fought in Bellator a few times, got set back early in his career by a Rico TKO.

Rico hasn't really changed his style much, leaned forward over his front foot, looking to use his heavy hands. It's fundamentally incompatible with Conor trying to coach people into his striking strategy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Izzy deserves his Usman x Colby fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chaleski posted:

I have no idea what this means

Tolkien put “cellar door” up as the most poetic/lyrical phrase in the English language.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How can the moon be real when rankings aren’t real.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Chandler's record isn't amazing UFC wise but if you look at the fights, he is dangerous every single second and betting against him is always a huge gamble.

I would argue the same for Poirier’s loss to Oliveira. His sub defense was lacking but he was landing dynamite ahead of that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno if this is old hat in the wrestling sub already, but they finally confirmed Minoru Suzuki was the mocap wrestler for King in Tekken
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvKefJ_sixI/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

So now Alex Pereira is a 4-1 middleweight, and one of his victories was against a welterweight, and now he's fighting for the top contendership of the light-heavyweight division.

He looked big in the Izzy rematch, but not quite as big as the random social media pics that we've been wowing over.
I am curious though, how the size will play out against a real LHW, and if there's any specific tactics Glover had to share.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm glad the fanbase has come around on Bobby Green's fighting style. I remember people loving hating his jawing while being defensive around the time of the Thompson fight.

Ultimately, Bobby Green is a counter fighter, and he ends up not that exciting if his opponent is cautious and principled with striking.
His output gets much more entertaining if his opponent is wild and throws a lot and doesn't try to tie up.

At the gym, it's a style that'd make you say, can't believe he's making that work, good for him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Negotiations have fallen through, Thompson/Pereira is off.

I wonder how split of Dana’s anger is drawn between the overweight fighter and the fighter who refuses to take on the weight disadvantage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Hexagone 10

French is s difficult language.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some training footage of Lewis' flying knee (this is not a joke setup):
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvUPm1sPwUC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He’s got his Ferrari right there. Skip the Motivation for Higher Ballshotification poster and go straight to the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you have some time, put this video on 2x and skip over the ones you know. I learned several new things in the lower tiers, including the clip of Forrest fighting Dan Severn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqUxL7YJxto