Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
https://twitter.com/UFCRosterWatch/status/1676350188275867648

This dude is 7-0 all in Combat Night Pro (Florida regionals?), was scheduled to fight on contender series end of August but that's now cancelled and instead:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1676293045749162003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Nierbo posted:

Theyre going to do everything to make sure Bo Nickal rises the ranks and becomes a *star* aren't they?

Maybe? I mean matching him up with some completely unknown dude from some unknown organization doesn't exactly accomplish that, and just by the numbers this is a 7-0 dude replacing 4-2 dude so it's possible this matchup is actually less favorable for him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Ah drat, I was wondering why I had no idea wtf Combat Night Pro is, guess that explains it. Looking forward to the writeup tomorrow, thanks as always Carl!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
He's definitely the colby covington of mma journalists

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Short notice 185 dude made weight and seems happy to be there. Win or lose they should match him up with Deron Winn at some point, smallest middleweight fight in history (open to being proven wrong by MMA historians ITT)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Everyone else also made weight, except for Jalin Turner at 158, dude needs to go back to Welterweight, he's too tall.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

FishBowlRobot posted:

drat that’s a big miss. Let us pray for Dan Hooker’s brain.

We've certainly seen much worse than 2 lbs over, I'm not too worried since this is just the fighter being way too tall for the division, rather than way too thick, trust in Blonde Hooker.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Super Deuce posted:

I know it's a mistake to do this, but I was curious what Dana was saying in the post fight presser, and he apparently didn't think there was a racial thing with Izzy / Dricus. Interesting way to play it.

I could have misinterpreted it but it sounds like he just had no idea what was said in that situation, and when he asked for more details all the reporter got to relay was "Izzy said the n word a bunch" and not anything about the genetics poo poo or essentially the colonization references and poo poo. That being said I suspect that if he had the full information his reaction would not be any different so in conclusion

Ringo Roadagain posted:

It’s never not a good time to say gently caress dana white

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm ok with knowing context going into a fight. Carl's previews continue to confront the industry/ landscape in which fighters work, and that lets us be informed fans. As he's shown, it is impossible to separate the sport at this level from the capricious and unsatisfying matchmaking. We're basically always rooting against Dana in every fight and every inconveniencing outcome.
We root against Colby cuz he's a willing participant to the MAGA movement. I suppose some might not like his style in a vacuum, too. I have zero problem keeping up to date in as objective way as possible how much of a shithead every fighter is. Keep reminding me that Izzy is transphobic. Let me know if GSP rolls with Elon again.

I think the objection was not to posts about the fighters (or dana) directly, but something like "here's what the worst bystanders with a blue checkmark said", you know?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

moctopus posted:

Uncle Creepy could make a case. Yan is 1-4 his last 5.

By the numbers maybe, but if you look at the actual fights, yeah his last one was a blowout but Merab is arguably the second best bantamweight on the roster right now, the fight before that was complete bullshit (see attachment), before that it's a relatively close decision loss to the champ, and before that it was a fight he was winning until he lost it for himself in the most hilarious way.

Moraes is probably my answer as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Uh, I've never actually watched TUF other than clips people link here, so I'd like to ask for some context for this. I thought there are individual winners in terms of the fighters in their weight class but this makes it sounds like there's usually some kind of consequence for one or the other team winning, and then further consequence for how much they win by? How does that stuff work?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks LobMob!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i like hearing about the shithead blue checks and the cultural commentary around MMA. it’s part of the phenomenon of watching it and following it. the main org in MMA is festering with right wing propaganda and loony QAnon poo poo. it is horrifying. sometimes it is also very funny. personally I’d rather take it all in. if seeing it all eventually leads me to watch it less, which it kinda partially has (moreso the endless grim Apex cards), then that’s kinda what should happen, naturally, IMO.
If it's funny you can post it, SA has traditionally had "unless it's funny" exceptions to pretty much almost all the rules, but otherwise the point of this website is that we don't have to deal with all the idiots posting in the various other spaces.

if seeing Trump constantly or hearing Strickland be a massive “trolling” moron is bad, I would either call him a moron or stop watching it, but not talking about it on one of the few(only?) places online where most people will agree feels like having our brain damage and, uh, eating it, too?
Again, this is not what people are talking about, trump is relevant because he's there cageside, dana calls him a friend, he's shaking hands with fighters all that poo poo. Strickland is on the roster, it's directly relevant what he says, for better or for worse it's part of the product, especially when it's during the official press conferences and MMA outlet interviews. But random people with 30 Twitter followers and 8 bucks disposable income? There's an infinite supply of them, and while I don't think we should literally pretend that they don't exist, bringing their the terrible poo poo they say in to this thread will just drive people out of this thread.

turning a blind eye to part of the thing or not discussing it in the normal course of stuff because you want to watch the other thing seems…I dunno. i’m not trying to criticize people who feel that way but, like, I love a Big Mac. but i don’t ever really eat them anymore because drat they source their meat very unethically. i think that’s kind of what’s supposed to happen.
Pardon me if I butcher your analogy but is not eating big macs the equivalent of not wanting to read twitter/reddit opinions? If you're sitting at a veggie restaurant you wouldn't want your friends constantly stopping by offering you big macs, right? (The initial thing I was gonna say is that I don't understand the analogy, so if this makes no sense, pretend I said that)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

Is this spilling over from another thread or something? These posts about Twitter opinions are seeming to come out of nowhere but everyone seems to know what is being talked about.

Nah, it started in response to this:

Lid posted:

I made the mistake if looking elsewhere and Du Plessus is being hailed as a hero because of reverse racism and ignoring literally everything he said up to that point. Izzy was a gently caress too but the overtones of white saviour and Great White Hope are everywhere.

Which, in Lid's defense I think firmly falls in to "not pretending they don't exist" and not actually importing the rando's opinions in to here, so the conversation did kind of veer in to the hypothetical at some point rather than what was actually happening.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Shumagorath posted:

On one hand she stands to join an impressive roster of fighters who went “this division is weak” and took the belt in comeback fights

otoh no one has yet done that against Vacant

Jones, no?

I guess he didn't officially retire, but it was unclear for a bit there.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
lmao herb dean

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

BlindSite posted:

Jan is the only LHW contender healthy right now and not old as gently caress

30 Jiří Procházka
31 Magomed Ankalaev
40 Jan Błachowicz
31 Aleksandar Rakić
31 Nikita Krylov
31 Johnny Walker
34 Anthony Smith
33 Volkan Oezdemir
35 Paul Craig
31 Ryan Spann
34 Azamat Murzakanov
33 Dominick Reyes
33 Khalil Rountree Jr.
35 Alonzo Menifield
35 Dustin Jacoby

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ilmucche posted:

Is it worrying there's noone on that list in their 20s? Is that a normal thing seen in other divisions as well?

Depends who you're worried for, but younger people of that size and athletic ability grew up with Google and thus knowing how much UFC pays (or specifically, how much it does not)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

on one hand, gently caress all White South Africans

You can be mad at individual people for their specific behavior and the words they say, but please cut this poo poo out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ilmucche posted:

This is a pure grappling competition then

Yeah, that's what those Fight Pass Invitational events are, as far as I know they don't mix MMA bouts in to them the way ONE does.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

lmao I've never seen than, that's great.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
drat I love Muay Thai, this is great.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
:siren: UFC card tomorrow is at noon EST/9 AM PST :siren:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yeah, definitely bit of a fake glove touch there, but personally I think you've got plenty of time to touch gloves before the round actually starts, don't like seeing it during the fight anyway (especially every loving round like some fights)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CarlCX posted:

Michel Pereira missed weight by 4 pounds and now the Wonderboy fight might not happen.

3 lbs technically, since it's not a title fight. Also Vinicius Salvador at 128.5 for a Flyweight fight but I have no loving clue who that is and neither does anyone else.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

There's also Super Rizin 2 and Bellator X Rizin 2, but those lost some shine with late drop outs

I'm guessing one of those is being broadcast through some weird service nobody's heard of and the other is being broadcast on a normal services but on like a 16 hour tape delay?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

Bellator x Rizin is on Showtime at the time of it happening and I think Super Rizin is on Fite.

Thanks!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
30 minutes til early prelims, not sure if the fight cancellations will be we get some dead air at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yo does anyone have any word about UFC's "The Thrill and the Agony" videos? The most recent one I can find on Fightpass is UFC 282, are more recent ones on ESPN+ or anywhere or have they just stopped producing those?