Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think yair is one of the most athletically gifted fighters i've ever seen and he's been getting incrementally less dumb and silly, and more skilled and focused, in every fight so at some point when he's like 35 he'll probably become champion. imo unless he can really blitz volk with his kicks in rounds 1 and 2 and cause enough damage to seriously impair his ability to fight he's not winning though. but i think he's on the right track. like if yoel had tried to become a good fighter instead of an insanely dangerous silly meme fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was gonna say that featherweight doesn't have any wrestlers but then i remembered that topuria is like 26 and has the kind of top game that would probably give yair a mid-fight PTSD flashback to the edgar fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
volk the king of mma, izzy the king of cringe, bob lawler the king of my heart

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Scapegoat posted:

My 14 month old decided to have a meltdown for an hour so I missed the volk fight. I know the result and have seen the finish. Is it worth watching the fight?

imo yeah, if just to see how volk overcomes all the physical disadvantages in the match-up. it was a really strong performance against a really scary fighter who looked at least a weight class bigger. volk is obviously an insane athlete and has elite skills but his decision-making is probably the best out of any fighter i've ever seen, both in terms of the bigger picture gameplan but also in terms of minute decisions in the fight. in the finish where he crushes yair with the right hook he's got his left down by his body absorbing the body kick. unbelievable.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

yea, that was pretty cringe from izzy but he's a cringe elemental in general so it's about par for the course

the lead-up to the fight with DDP will be unbearable but the fight itself will be hilarious whatever happens.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he’ll never fight usyk, whereas ngannou is easy money and he’ll probably get a million new fans in the process from all the mma fans who tune in just because you never know. good for ngannou though, hope he gets paid and fucks off into comfortable retirement with the last lingering whiffs of prestige of the ufc heavyweight division

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don’t care at all about the stupid drama with du plescis and izzy but the fight is basically guaranteed to be funny/weird/good (at least one of these) so i’m all for it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

LobsterMobster posted:

I say this as a fan of both Poirier and Gaethje, but the only win over a relevant lightweight either guy has in recent memory is Fiziev. Chandler's got a high ranking, but he's 2-3 in the UFC and those two wins are Dan Hooker and Tony Ferguson. Dustin spent a lot of time beating up Conor and that has no bearing on the division.

It's gonna be a good fight, but should it mean the winner is next for a title shot? I dunno.

true but lightweight is hosed anyway. makhachev didn't have any really relevant wins before winning the belt. for such a good division it's been run into the ground by terrible booking.