Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lid posted:

Yair lost every moment of every moment in his fight against TKZ right up until he didn't.

Yeah this kind of how I see it too. Volk beat the loving breaks off all comers recently. Yair is a very good fighter and very, very dangerous with his kicking game but Volk is the best in the world p4p at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

At risk of spoiling this week's writeup I'm obviously picking Volk, but I do think Yair presents a surprisingly interesting challenge. One of Volk's best weapons is his range management, but almost everyone he's fought in the UFC likes to fight up close. The only outside fighters he's really dealt with were Holloway and Aldo, and Holloway's distance weapons were his hands so we saw Volk struggle until he turned the corner in the third fight by just countering and shutting him down with better boxing, and Aldo he just went 'i'm not loving with you' to and spent the entire fight ramming him into the fence.

Yair's the first dude Volk's fought in the UFC with a big size advantage AND a good kicking game, and one of Volk's most common tactics is staying at range and pecking with leg kicks until he figures out what he wants to do, and it's feasible if he tries that with Yair he'll get lit up for it because he will probably not win a kicking war at range.

But I don't think Volk is dumb enough to not adjust at all.

Not for nothing but Holloway and Aldo are two of the greatest outside fighters in the history of the ufc regardless of weight class.

Only fighting two guys doesn't matter when it makes 4 fights and you're 4 and 0.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I watched part of the latest Tuf ep, man - Connor McGregor is all kinds of hosed up. Watch like 5 minutes of him doing a talking head and go back and watch a clip of him in an interview a few years ago and it's jarring.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

I am at this point pretty convinced both guys are retiring after that fight. Jones has been talking about beating Stipe and retiring since before he even won the belt and Stipe hasn't fought in two and a half years, will be 41 by the time this fight theoretically happens and has been sick of the UFC's poo poo for about half a decade.

I'm guessing by the turn of the year we've got Pavlovich vs either Gane or Aspinall for the vacant belt.

He signed an 8 fight deal iirc before the Gane fight, it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted the record for HW defenses first.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Thought of another, Cody Garbs

11-0 leading into fighting Cruz. Styled on him like no one ever did and won the title. Went on to lose 3 straight, all KOs, and 2 back to backs against TJ

2-5 since the Cruz fight

Garb was a big one for me, I thought we were looking at someone who could legitimately challenge dillashaw and reign for a while and his career has just loving cratered.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i like hearing about the shithead blue checks and the cultural commentary around MMA. it’s part of the phenomenon of watching it and following it. the main org in MMA is festering with right wing propaganda and loony QAnon poo poo. it is horrifying. sometimes it is also very funny. personally I’d rather take it all in. if seeing it all eventually leads me to watch it less, which it kinda partially has (moreso the endless grim Apex cards), then that’s kinda what should happen, naturally, IMO.

turning a blind eye to part of the thing or not discussing it in the normal course of stuff because you want to watch the other thing seems…I dunno. i’m not trying to criticize people who feel that way but, like, I love a Big Mac. but i don’t ever really eat them anymore because drat they source their meat very unethically. i think that’s kind of what’s supposed to happen.

if seeing Trump constantly or hearing Strickland be a massive “trolling” moron is bad, I would either call him a moron or stop watching it, but not talking about it on one of the few(only?) places online where most people will agree feels like having our brain damage and, uh, eating it, too?

My take on it is this:

If BOXC wants to post "man this Du Plessis dude is annoying, I don't think he realises the optics of what he's saying...." Cool lets discuss your thoughts on it.

Like I said in the GDT, both of them come off sounding like bigoted morons and that's not good for anyone's career, the sport in general or really us as fans because I don't care one loving lick about anything else in the UFC other than who's the better fighter. If its important to you that you unpack it, or If someone wants to disagree with my take then that's fine too.

But twitter is a shithole. It's always been a shithole and it always will be a shithole. Finding the absolute worst take you can and then using that as a "fans think this!" post in the thread is just annoying at this point. I think allowing tweet embeds was the dumbest thing this forum did. Instead of hearing what someone who follows the sport - here thinks. I'm having to discuss what every idiot with a pulse and an account thinks. I choose to post here instead of twitter because this thread, at least - has mostly good takes and thoughts on things and there's at least the occasion someone's opinion might change a little.

If it's someone posting something that's an actual nuanced take on either the fight, or the cultural issues - probably fine and likely won't be from twitter rather than an actual org that covers the sport. Dogshit take from nobody of substance... gently caress that. Read your brain rot and close the app.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Supplemental testosterone.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

In case people don't remember/know, Harris tested positive for the SARM LGD-4033 five years ago, and had a lighter suspension when one of his supplements was contaminated with it. Seems very possible he has continued playing the sketchy supplement game like Yoel.

We'll know for sure pretty soon since they all need to register their supps and batch numbers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan Hardy is posting about having signed with PFL.

My man, you're 41 and you're an excellent analyst. Please don't.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

He’s been talking about coming back for years. I think there were some medical concerns, waiting for the right opponent, etc.

Have him fight Herb Dean on the first fight of some Facebook live prelims I guess.

He had some kind of heart condition wolfram heart? Or something? I don't remember quite what it was called.

But he was talking about "polishing his left hook" so sounded a lot to me like fighting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Wolfram & Hart is the evil law firm in Angel, the spinoff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Jeremy Renner guest starred in an episode of Angel, and alongside Chris Evans in the Marvel films. Who else was in a MCU Captain America film, you ask? Georges St Pierre, who defeated Dan Hardy in a welterweight championship bout. Your mixup is totally understandable.

Also CTE. Which I see in Dan Hardys future if he fights at 41.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TBH a Jan vs Alex title fight wouldn't seem that bad to me. Jan is the only LHW contender healthy right now and not old as gently caress or recently had the poo poo kicked out of them and in terms of hype you can at least build a fight around the whole "only two guys in the UFC to beat Adesenya".

The 291 card is solid

Lightweight Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje
Light Heavyweight Jan Błachowicz vs. Alex Pereira
Middleweight Paulo Costa vs. Ikram Aliskerov
Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs. Bobby Green
Welterweight Michael Chiesa vs. Kevin Holland

But simply making that a title fight and moving it to the top of the card would then allow you to have the fight with Jiri at UFC 300 or something.

With the other announced fights upcoming there's potential for them to build a monster card at 300 which I assume they're going to want to do. Normally they aim for 3 title fights at those big events and I would assume they'd be able to cobble together LHW, BW and womens strawweight given they're the next two titles on the docket for cards.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

I don't think this sentence is wrong, but I do think this sentence being right is an incredible indictment of the current state of 205.

It's a hard one. I guess that large lads tend to go into other sports with either less brain damage, or comparable but a lot more money just keeps them out of fighting. I would have thought eastern europe would have been more of a breeding ground than it is for talent given that the only sports the large dudes seem to play there are basketball or weight lifting but if Fedor didn't inspire a generation of talent into fighting it's hard to see the Dagestani revolution doing so either.

Who knows. The UFC can't really grow those divisions since they've really been a waste land since the late 2000s. Half the UFC's name talent their either retired, went down a division or matured up into heavy weights and spread across the other orgs and the guys they had over the last three to four years are somewhat aging out or falling off very quickly.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brut posted:

30 Jiří Procházka
31 Magomed Ankalaev
40 Jan Błachowicz
31 Aleksandar Rakić
31 Nikita Krylov
31 Johnny Walker
34 Anthony Smith
33 Volkan Oezdemir
35 Paul Craig
31 Ryan Spann
34 Azamat Murzakanov
33 Dominick Reyes
33 Khalil Rountree Jr.
35 Alonzo Menifield
35 Dustin Jacoby

Wait wtf? I Swear he was only in his early 30s. Jesus. time flies.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MMA hitting your prime tends to be just that right spot for athletic ability, experience in the cage and not taking bad damage early.

You don't really hit your athletic prime until your mid 20s and the fall off if you're consistent with training etc isn't until your late 30s. Most guys probably shouldn't be turning pro until their early 20s and it's going to take a good 5 years to hit your straps in terms of how to do things the right way for you.

A guy like Volk is a good example. Hits his prime for ability and athleticism about 5 years into his career (around 2018) and just gets better from there.

Most guys who are large athletes are probably in some form of college system and even combat sports guys are likely be primarily wrestlers vying for olympics etc until their mid 20s. Makes sense that LHW and HW guys don't tend to arrive in the UFC until they're in their late 20s. If you graduate college at 22, 23 and then spend 5 years on the regional circuit as a pro you're not going to hit that prime until 29.

Conversely a guy like Renan Baro who turned pro at like 19 is full at the end of his peak by 29, 30.

MMA is about the miles on the tyres as much as it is age - within reason. I know there's outliers like Arlovski and Jon Jones etc but there was a deep dive article a few years ago where someone broke down the MMA universe at a wide look and the average career in terms of guys and gals who stay in the sport tends to be about ten years as a pro with almost alarming consistency.

The number of guys when you go back to look who hit their straps 5 years in, become god tier for 5 years and then have a horrible fall off is pretty long. Barao, Liddel, McGregor, Aldo. You even take a guy like Condit. 10 years into his career he has a 28 and 5 record. After that period - 4 and 9.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Is there anywhere I could source stats for the entire UFC roster and track win rates pre/post USADA, TRT ban and IV ban?

I would assume Wikipedia might be your best bet. Or via sherdog or something that tracks wins and events.

In terms of one place with filters? Not that I know of. You'd need to set your own date parameters and scrape the data the way data sorcerers do.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strickland is going to call adesenya gay and throw a Chinese flag at him and you're all going to freak out that dumb man did dumb thing trying to be funny.

Funniest thing he could do is win though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That's not a thing he can do, though.

DredericTatumHeartDefect.gif

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Scapegoat posted:

What is his path to victory? Someone accidentally leaving a banana peel in the cage?

There really isn't one that I can see. Israel really is playing chess when it comes to striking and everyone else is playing checkers.

The only thing I can see is if Strickland went full rediculous heel and got izzy just that worked up he tries to go punch for a punch and gets starched with a lucky one.

But for all his stupidity and cringe nature and dumb bigoted ranting Izzy is petty good at remaining calm and focussed despite everything around him on game day and I don't see it going that way.

I think adesenya drops him a couple times in the first and puts him out cold in the second and I'll probably chuck a tenner on it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When I was in Thailand they had kids as young as like 10 fighting on the undercard. Then teenagers and then actual adults. I think the main event was a french dude who got knocked dead by an Australian. It's like soccer or rugby over there and kids competing is as normal as any other sport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Except a lot of those kids have to fight to make money for their families and research shows children Thai fighters have significantly lower cognitive function than Thai children who don't get punched in the head 3 times a week

I wasn't endorsing it as a great way to get your kids active. I was pointing out it's common in Thailand in response to someone asking about it. My phrasing in my last sentence could have been better but I'm phone posting in bed after waking up and not exactly 100% alert.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Must be a good movie. I'll have to check it out if a dude who likes bedazzled belt buckles does.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All fighters probably grease but not as overtly as they used to.

If you use moisturiser couple hours before you exercise. Your skin will be completely dry until you start to sweat then it comes out of your pores and you can feel it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i have always loved the way bobby green fought and i feel a kinship with those who also appreciate it

Bobby Greens podcast on Rogan was one of the best things I ever heard but it was mainly his buddies prison stories about brawling that were loving crazy that did it for me.

Worth a listen even if you don't like Rogan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He ran up on ferg at the press conference today in a Dr disrespect tier outfit so he's already trying to rile Ferguson up and it seems like it's working.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of weigh ins though Derrick Lewis looks to be in fantastic shape for him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

It's tough, because Green is starting to degenerate too. But even in their prime I think Green would've presented a difficult match for Ferguson. Tony was at his best when he could either hurt people who were overaggressively coming in on him, break people with pressure and damage, or one followed by the other. Green thrived off sniping people coming his way and getting the hell out of range. Green's tendency to hang out on the cage could've gotten him eaten up by Ferguson's elbows if he let him get into the clinch, but I dunno, man.

But all of that feels basically irrelevant to this fight, this is just, like, whose hips still work better and who has more cerebrospinal fluid left.

Yeah, it all hinges on Tony's ability to take a shot which was noticeably absent during the Diaz fight. Green hits loving hard and hits accurately so while the longer the fight goes - the advantage is definitely with Tony due to his ludicrous cardio, I can see Green shutting his lights out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Goddamn. That was a total destruction.

Edit wrong thread.