Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sean Brady pulled out with an injury, JDM is looking for a replacement for 290 but will probably be pushed given the level of notice.

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/07/01/ufc-290-loses-absolute-banger/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I love carl and am a dirty little slut for his writeups

I've been drifting away from the sport given all the bullshit and poo poo, Carl's breakdowns are one of my main tethers left.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yair has made himself terrifying on the feet, but we'll have to see if he can stay there. Volk is a much bigger wrestling threat than Holloway who was able to hold him down.

quote:

UPDATE: Jack Della Maddalena will remain on the UFC 290 fight card. He is now slated to face Josiah Harrell. Harrell has a 7-0 record. His most recent fight was in LFA. Prior to that he had one fight in the CFFC promotion. All his prior fights were in Ohio Combat League.

UFC really leaning into this public execution thing.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 3, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Even with the last minutes substitutions this card is fire.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It has to be Barao. He won the belt and defended it three times before losing to TJ twice. Five fights (1-4) later, he was losing to Andre Ewell while missing weight. At least Chris lost to respectable names and neither he nor Hendricks had an 0-5 streak.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 11, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

JDM trying to defend takedowns with guillotines repeatedly in 2023 has me off the hype train, that can't be blamed on short notice when he was training for Sean Brady. I find it unlikely that JDM would've ever gotten back to his feet against Sean Brady. He caught a lucky break when that fight was canceled. He had some scares vs. Emeev in the grappling, too.

His wrestling and grappling issues are fixable, but I'm going to need to see some progress on doing so before I start liking his chances against any top wrestler.

I did think it was quite clear he won the 2nd round and the fight, though.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What's the status on Jiri? Is he still out with the injury? LHW is such a mess.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The executive behind UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaejthe strikes again!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Strickland is getting this fight because he dominated an unranked fighter. More and more the UFC stops being about the best fighting the best and every fighter should be trying to crush cans to get hype rather than work their way up the rankings.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Strickland is going to call adesenya gay and throw a Chinese flag at him and you're all going to freak out that dumb man did dumb thing trying to be funny.

Funniest thing he could do is win though.

That's not a thing he can do, though.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was his job, though. I'm also sure he didn't see himself as necessarily loving people on money, as he was just telling them what they were worth based upon his observation of their skills.The reality is that he definitely did a lot to keep fighter pay where his bosses wanted it to be, but I don't see it as malicious. It's just that if you were a fighter and had to go talk to Joe, you were going to hear the unvarnished truth and see your faults laid before you. He would also explain their strengths and argue why they could win the fight he planned for them. He got poo poo done and the UFC was really loving exciting for quite a while.

What is this revisionist nonsense. He was a good matchmaker, but he also used a bunch of nasty and underhanded tactics to strongarm labor to squeeze more value out of them for his billionaire bosses. I doubt he saw himself as the bad guy, because people rarely do, but we can look at him for what he was.

It wasn't just the blunt truth, it was also manipulative bullshit where he would tell people that if they insisted on a new contract he would cut them on any loss even after a win streak, he would tell fighters to put on a show instead of fight to win and then gently caress them when they lost in a fantastic war, and he would punish people with his matchmaking if they spoke out against the UFC in any way. He would make people take short notice fights, fight injured, or sign the offer he wanted or he would make them sit on ice for the max amount of time allowed in the contract before offering them a fight they didn't want and didn't make sense buried on the prelims. He would intentionally match fighters at the end of their contracts in bad matchups to take the shine off.

The nasty comments he made to fighters could be interpreted as sage bluntness if you are very charitably inclined, but he developed a lot of the nasty tactics and there's no way to whitewash that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm glad the fanbase has come around on Bobby Green's fighting style. I remember people loving hating his jawing while being defensive around the time of the Thompson fight.