Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

COPE 27 posted:

I unironically enjoy his fighting style, seems to be a garbage person but I assume that's par for the course when your job is fighting.
Do not accept garbage conduct. Book Strickland vs oncoming traffic in a stand-your-ground state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

"Didn't win because I heard too much blasphemy" is a new and wild excuse that I wish we got to see.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

Do you think he was just genuinely never there and let his coaching staff handle everything, or was he there but so hosed up constantly the production team could only use a fraction of the footage they got of their biggest star? Not sure which is funnier/more pathetic
The Apprentice managed to edit around trumq; conor can’t be that much worse.

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently his team is 0-6 and that includes his special boys he demanded to be included at the expense of kicking off guys that had already been cast. So at least everyone is getting something good out of this season, including the coach fight that will certainly happen and won't be canceled because Conor still hasn't submitted a peepee sample
Lol those are Shamrock or even Rampage numbers

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
TUF peaked at GSP-Koschek.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
dana will eventually open pressers with power slap matches

Long after the last contestants dumb enough for power slap have given up he will just spank himself at the podium for five minutes grumbling how if you don’t like it you can watch something else

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can’t believe a man was once allowed to do enough drugs to come within a judge’s whimsical dart toss of beating GSP and Robbie.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

The run up to this fight is probably going to be real bad for the sport so if that was too much for you the next few months are going to be deeply unpleasant.
What’s the reigning champ for worst press tour? Aldo-McGregor? Mayweather-McGregor?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Even Rampage managed to win a fight against Forrest by just yelling “ELBOWS” and “STAND UP”.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On one hand she stands to join an impressive roster of fighters who went “this division is weak” and took the belt in comeback fights

otoh no one has yet done that against Vacant

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Brut posted:

Jones, no?

I guess he didn't officially retire, but it was unclear for a bit there.
Oh right. Maybe Ronda will one-up him by just being awarded the vacant belt.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lid posted:

my mouth found a sound that i wasnt sure it was capable of while reading this, halfway between a laughand a loud burp
That’s what an ACL rip sounds like only louder

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

I've maintatined for a while that if you can't make middleweight, you get folded into heavyweight. It would make middleweight and heavyweight incredible (relatively)
Dude just stop plz Rumble’s already dead

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Booo

I didn't click the video but lol at conor wearing a button-down and vest on coaching / corner duty. Dude does not care about anyone but himself.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BlindSite posted:

MMA hitting your prime tends to be just that right spot for athletic ability, experience in the cage and not taking bad damage early.

You don't really hit your athletic prime until your mid 20s and the fall off if you're consistent with training etc isn't until your late 30s. Most guys probably shouldn't be turning pro until their early 20s and it's going to take a good 5 years to hit your straps in terms of how to do things the right way for you.

A guy like Volk is a good example. Hits his prime for ability and athleticism about 5 years into his career (around 2018) and just gets better from there.

Most guys who are large athletes are probably in some form of college system and even combat sports guys are likely be primarily wrestlers vying for olympics etc until their mid 20s. Makes sense that LHW and HW guys don't tend to arrive in the UFC until they're in their late 20s. If you graduate college at 22, 23 and then spend 5 years on the regional circuit as a pro you're not going to hit that prime until 29.

Conversely a guy like Renan Baro who turned pro at like 19 is full at the end of his peak by 29, 30.

MMA is about the miles on the tyres as much as it is age - within reason. I know there's outliers like Arlovski and Jon Jones etc but there was a deep dive article a few years ago where someone broke down the MMA universe at a wide look and the average career in terms of guys and gals who stay in the sport tends to be about ten years as a pro with almost alarming consistency.

The number of guys when you go back to look who hit their straps 5 years in, become god tier for 5 years and then have a horrible fall off is pretty long. Barao, Liddel, McGregor, Aldo. You even take a guy like Condit. 10 years into his career he has a 28 and 5 record. After that period - 4 and 9.

Is there anywhere I could source stats for the entire UFC roster and track win rates pre/post USADA, TRT ban and IV ban?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nierbo posted:

He does march forward fairly consistently though.
yeah, goose-stepping

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Masvidal just bears the inherent filth from his Mark of Trumq

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder how split of Dana’s anger is drawn between the overweight fighter and the fighter who refuses to take on the weight disadvantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7NTHSdquw&t=91s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I feel like this is not a sport where former top starts turn back the clock for a night like Gretzky scoring three identical slapshots while he was with the Rangers. Sharp trends are usually monotonic.