Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fury will probably win that but Francis will make more money than he ever did in the UFC in a single bout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

I made the mistake if looking elsewhere and Du Plessus is being hailed as a hero because of reverse racism and ignoring literally everything he said up to that point. Izzy was a gently caress too but the overtones of white saviour and Great White Hope are everywhere.

A white South African saying he was going to be the first fighter to bring a belt back home to Africa when Izzy, Kamaru, and Francis exist is pretty hosed. I can get why Izzy reacted the way he did.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skulker posted:

Isn't this every division now? The UFC really needs to back the money truck up to Joe Silva's doorstep.

Joe Silva was probably tired of being the bad guy. He probably still has watched more MMA than any other human being on the planet, and his knowledge about every fighter far outstripped anyone who has ever worked for the UFC in any capacity. The UFC had him use this knowledge to kneecap fighters in negotiations and bully them. Multiple fighters have talked about a Joe Silva dressing down where he will just go over every one of their flaws in fighting and their losses convincing them that they really only did deserve 15k and a prelim slot. He was the GOAT matchmaker because of his mma obsession, but was also forced to be lovely about something he obviously loved. I don't blame him for taking half a billion and disappearing forever. He probably enjoys the sport much more in 2023 than he did at almost any point in the Zuffa era.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

i always respected joe silva for his ability to shape a product that i lived and breathed for like a decade, but it's really depressing to hear he used that absolutely insane knowledge to gently caress fighters out of money. i don't know for some reason i thought someone who had seen as much mma as he had would have a more humane view of their worth.

then again i don't see how a decent person works with dana white every day and doesn't openly hate his guts.

It was his job, though. I'm also sure he didn't see himself as necessarily loving people on money, as he was just telling them what they were worth based upon his observation of their skills.The reality is that he definitely did a lot to keep fighter pay where his bosses wanted it to be, but I don't see it as malicious. It's just that if you were a fighter and had to go talk to Joe, you were going to hear the unvarnished truth and see your faults laid before you. He would also explain their strengths and argue why they could win the fight he planned for them. He got poo poo done and the UFC was really loving exciting for quite a while.

mewse posted:

One striking memory for me, and I forget most of the details, is when Joe Silva told a room full of journalists that the UFC had the best fighters in the world and the best fights in the world, and it was true.

Without Joe Silva we get Dana's huckster style of promotion that devalues the entire sport.

It was true, and he could prove it if they had a few hours to sit down and explain it all to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lone Goat posted:

I thought Joe Silva quit because he made gently caress You Money from the Endeavour buyout and he really really hated being on planes.

Or did I read too deeply into a "they took his brain out"-esque Meltzerism?

I mean that's true as well. He did get gently caress you money. Joe Silva got taken care of in the purchase by Lorenzo and Frank.

I think he said he was ready to move on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's all the poo poo I was alluding to when I said he was the bad guy. He was the bad guy in Zuffa era UFC matchmaking/contract negotiations. He was also a hell of a matchmaker and is one of the most knowledgeable people about MMA period.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollandia posted:

That's why he's now the jacked beast, I guess.

He got the six pack because he quit drinking root beer this fight camp. His coach told him he would if he did, so he gave it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know if this is true at all but because it's about Derrick Lewis it actually sounds 100% loving believable.

That was his story from the post fight presser.