Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is that recent and GSP is actually training with musk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ariza posted:

Many years ago when I had a better attention span, people were getting mad about their opponents greasing. Has that been a thing in the last decade?

The athletic commissions changed it so it's a neutral official applying vaseline to the brow of the athletes rather than their own cornerman - that's to prevent the thing where the cornerman would grease the brow then rub their back.

BUT there's stories of guys soaking in vaseline before the bout and that's basically unenforceable if the grease/oil is soaked into their pores.

So I guess there's a lot less public complaining but it's just as dirty as it ever was.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Human skin produces oil? Well surprisingly that's also illegal

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Joe Silva was probably tired of being the bad guy. He probably still has watched more MMA than any other human being on the planet, and his knowledge about every fighter far outstripped anyone who has ever worked for the UFC in any capacity. The UFC had him use this knowledge to kneecap fighters in negotiations and bully them. Multiple fighters have talked about a Joe Silva dressing down where he will just go over every one of their flaws in fighting and their losses convincing them that they really only did deserve 15k and a prelim slot. He was the GOAT matchmaker because of his mma obsession, but was also forced to be lovely about something he obviously loved. I don't blame him for taking half a billion and disappearing forever. He probably enjoys the sport much more in 2023 than he did at almost any point in the Zuffa era.

One striking memory for me, and I forget most of the details, is when Joe Silva told a room full of journalists that the UFC had the best fighters in the world and the best fights in the world, and it was true.

Without Joe Silva we get Dana's huckster style of promotion that devalues the entire sport.