Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

so true

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well, I just caved and bought Moonbreaker, Rimworld and Triangle Strategy. That should hold me for the rest of the year!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really like this thread title.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Final Fantasy XVI and I gotta say, that was probably one of my biggest disappointments from a game I expected to like this year. I wish it had truly leaned more into its action spectacle fighter presentation because the actually great cinematic boss battles are all book-ended by some of the most mind-numbingly boring palace intrigue storylines and sidequests I've experienced in recent memory. I liked the middle third the most, where it feels like there's some momentum and you're collecting eikons at a decent pace, but the story repeatedly grinds to a halt during the moments in between. This wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could really immerse yourself in the gameplay but the base difficulty is so easy and button-mashy that I started to lose interest in the mechanics as well. I think the English voice cast did a good job but the characterization was really lacking for some long stretches. This was especially noticeable with Jill, who kinda has something going when the writers remember she's there and otherwise just kind of serves as a bland exposition machine when she's not the focal point in the story. I'm still really looking forward to Rebirth because FF7R was such a treat but I didn't like much about this mainline title at all.

So far in 2023 I have played:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted: Dead
Chop Goblins
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (DLC)
Valkyrie Elysium
Age of Wonders 4
Diablo IV
Final Fantasy XVI

Up Next: Hi-Fi Rush DLC!!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 2, 2023

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The button mashing is real. I played Diablo 4 on PC just before Final Fantasy 16 and FF16 is the one of those two that made my carpal tunnel flare up. I can not believe how big of a letdown this is compared to FF7R.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wild. I thought 7R played like absolute garbage and am loving how 16 plays. Different strokes I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe I'm just too good at video games (unlikely) but I died literally twice in the entire game, once to Hellfire in the prologue because I thought you were supposed to shoot the orb instead of Ifrit, and once more when I got stunlocked against Flan Prince. Every single other encounter was basically zero IQ involved, just cycle through eikon attacks on cooldown and everything is dead. It's fine when you're just mashing through a 10-hour story like the basic difficulty levels in DMC but it gets pretty old after 50. In FF7R you at least had to think a little bit about how to balance your party and spread around their actions in a methodical way. I found that to be a lot more mentally involving even if that game wasn't especially difficult, either.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

with the year officially half over i can reveal my current 2023 top 15:

1) Octopath Traveler 2 (84.5 score)
2) Tears of the Kingdom (83 score)
3T) HROT (80 score), 9 Years of Shadows (80), Golden Idol DLC (80)
6) Slayers X (78)
7) Honkai Star Rail (77)
8) Atomic Heart (76.5)
9T) GhostLore (76), Terra Nil (76)
11T) My Time at Sandrock (75), Lingo Level 2 (75), Dread Templar (75), Weird & Unfortunate Things are Happening (75)
15) Ravenlok (72.5)

i have finished the Powerwash Simulator FF7 and Tomb Raider DLCs but IDK where to put them yet

2023 (and Dec 2022) games I currently have access to and will try to play this year: Trails to Azure, Vividlope, Patch Quest, Paranormasight, Hi-Fi Rush, Chained Echoes, Pentiment, Cassette Beasts, The Bookwalker, Chop Goblins, Shadows of Doubt (if the bugs/perf issues are all smoothed out)

nerd poo poo below, lots of numbers:

so far I've acquired 93 games this year, and i've beaten 41 of them, and 79 games in general this year. usually if i beat a little more than half of what i buy i feel ok because it means i am inching upwards in my backlog even if as glacially as possible. and so i'm doing a decent job there. at this time last year i had bought 123 games and beaten 95 games in general so i'm sort of playing to proportion?? in total in 2022 i bought 210 games-- and then also factoring in the jingle jam bundle keys i added to steam, 242. and i beat 200 games in general on the year. you might think "wait, that means your backlog got increased by 42 games" but in the larger picture the completion % is going up. if i had previously beaten 750 out of 1000 games, for example, and then you add these numbers to that, it's 950 out of 1210, 78.5% rather than 75%. so like i said.. glacial, but it is happening!! (of course, my actual Steam backlog completion is closer to 1500 out of 2000 but you get the idea)

i've got a wishlist of 330 games, 167 of which are available and 163 of which are upcoming. this is AFTER pruning upcoming games that have most likely (or clearly) been abandoned, which just shows that there are too many good games being made!!! even looking at stuff that i put on my wishlist as early as 2017, i'm like... no i still am interested in those! gently caress!!

but i am buying fewer games this year... the nature of me being interested in so many recently released games is that they don't go on sale for very cheap so i don't buy as often. i'm most often picking off wishlist games by buying stuff in Build-a-Bundles but this does have the side effect of me getting a couple of things that weren't on my wishlist as well. i do think in general though that i'm much better about buying stuff that i like and not buying stuff i end up regretting or being disappointed by. having played so many demos really helps my purchasing decisions as well!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The 7th Guest posted:

with the year officially half over i can reveal my current 2023 top 15:

1) Octopath Traveler 2 (84.5 score)
2) Tears of the Kingdom (83 score)

:hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wild. I thought 7R played like absolute garbage and am loving how 16 plays. Different strokes I guess.

I love them both! Guess I'm lucky.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

I love them both! Guess I'm lucky.

Same

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My faves of the year so far:

1. Tears of the Kingdom
2. Disco Elysium
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Citizen Sleeper
5. Metroid Prime Remastered

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Just finished Final Fantasy XVI and I gotta say, that was probably one of my biggest disappointments from a game I expected to like this year. I wish it had truly leaned more into its action spectacle fighter presentation because the actually great cinematic boss battles are all book-ended by some of the most mind-numbingly boring palace intrigue storylines and sidequests I've experienced in recent memory. I liked the middle third the most, where it feels like there's some momentum and you're collecting eikons at a decent pace, but the story repeatedly grinds to a halt during the moments in between. This wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could really immerse yourself in the gameplay but the base difficulty is so easy and button-mashy that I started to lose interest in the mechanics as well. I think the English voice cast did a good job but the characterization was really lacking for some long stretches. This was especially noticeable with Jill, who kinda has something going when the writers remember she's there and otherwise just kind of serves as a bland exposition machine when she's not the focal point in the story. I'm still really looking forward to Rebirth because FF7R was such a treat but I didn't like much about this mainline title at all.

drat bummer to hear but thanks for the write up, makes the wait for PC release easier. I was kind of thinking the story and characters must be meh just because hadn't seen any of them mentioned in extra media or whatever you see when people glom into a new game or cast.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Everyone’s talking about Clive’s name

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
FFXVI has the hottest Cid in the series

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

My faves of the year so far:

0. Octopath Traveler 2
1. Tears of the Kingdom
2. Disco Elysium
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Citizen Sleeper
5. Metroid Prime Remastered

Nice list :hai:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Stranger of Paradise is FF16 if it was good send tweet

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I took a look at the list of games I've beaten this year and saw that RE4 Remake was on there and while that game was great, it really left very little lasting impression on me.
I guess it's because it is a remake of a game I've played a bunch of times already and it doesn't really have any truly "new" moments to remember.
We shall see how it fares once GOTY season comes around.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah Remakes tend to do that to me too, they can make old ideas new and exciting but they're old ideas all the same

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Everytime I see Octopath Traveler I think'

But youuuuuuuu
Why you wanna give me a run-around?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ramie posted:

Stranger of Paradise is FF16 if it was good send tweet

I really love both games!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bone emulator posted:

I took a look at the list of games I've beaten this year and saw that RE4 Remake was on there and while that game was great, it really left very little lasting impression on me.
I guess it's because it is a remake of a game I've played a bunch of times already and it doesn't really have any truly "new" moments to remember.
We shall see how it fares once GOTY season comes around.

That’s where I’m at with it too! Good fun but I went in thinking “re4 didn’t need a remake” and left thinking “re4 didn’t need a remake”

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

more seriously I think both games are worthwhile but there's def an element of low expectations for SoP working in its favor, "oh the silly crossover game is actually good"

FF16 seems to kinda be the opposite for a lot of people including me. "so it's FF14 quests but fancier?"

good thing I'm okay with FF not hitting all the notes. I think if FF13 released today people would be substantially more chill about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I mean the sidequests in 16 are basically the same crap as in every other game. I don't really get the complaints people have about them other than that there's more of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about it I’m probably being overly harsh on r4m4ke, sorry capcom. You made a fun game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jay Rust posted:

That’s where I’m at with it too! Good fun but I went in thinking “re4 didn’t need a remake” and left thinking “re4 didn’t need a remake”

drat what's it like to be an old gamer who got to play and beat all these games that came out when they did, and not be slightly too young and have an overactive imagination to the point you were too scared to rent RE4 to play it cause you'd have nightmares.

:negative:

Being serious for a moment, I think it was a very worthwhile remake and made it available for a new generation of folks whilst also giving the devs a chance to apply the lessons they'd learned to enhance the great parts and remove the cruft that dragged the original down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Evil Kit posted:

Being serious for a moment, I think it was a very worthwhile remake and made it available for a new generation of folks

It was already available. Like it's already on the Playstation Quad and the Personal Computer and Nintendo's Witch

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There wasn't cruft in RE4 it was perfect.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

4R is like, fine? But 4 is already a perfect game really. No reason t o play the remake when the original is available on every console unless you're like allergic to anything not "cutting edge" graphically.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Waffleman_ posted:

It was already available. Like it's already on the Playstation Quad and the Personal Computer and Nintendo's Witch

I played the OG last year and while a fun game it clearly showed it's age and had a bunch of bits that were rightfully cut from the remake due to dragging the game on for way too long. At least one goon has posted that they could not play the OG because the old tank controls and jerk-y camera were too frustrating/cause motion sickness for them, which probably applied to a bunch of other people who are not goons as well.

Separate from that releasing a remake is a good way to draw attention to a game younger folks might have ignored or just not heard about yet, somehow.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Remake needed more Salazar

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gaius Marius posted:

There wasn't cruft in RE4 it was perfect.

I hate to break this to you but getting rid of all the QTE boulder chases was one of the best decisions they made in the remake, even if we did lose the statue chase in the process. Excessive QTEs suck.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The re4make seemed like the base game but with the memes and goofy poo poo toned down

Evil Kit posted:

I hate to break this to you but getting rid of all the QTE boulder chases was one of the best decisions they made in the remake, even if we did lose the statue chase in the process. Excessive QTEs suck.

Like this! Yeah everyone hates QTEs now but they were novel in 2005 and it wouldn't be RE4 without them

Do they still have the QTE knife fight?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't mind the QTEs being gone but they messed with the tone so much it's a much lesser experience I think. Game is still fun mechanically though.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 2, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Feldegast42 posted:

The re4make seemed like the base game but with the memes and goofy poo poo toned down

Like this! Yeah everyone hates QTEs now but they were novel in 2005 and it wouldn't be RE4 without them

Do they still have the QTE knife fight?

Sort of? It's more diegetic in that you're using the controls you use in regular gameplay to parry and attack so you feel like you have more control. It's also a straight up gameplay fight rather than all in cutscene. There's still a handful of QTEs in the game but they feel better than "mash buttons to avoid run faster than a boulder lol"

Edit:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't mind the QTEs being gone but they messed with the tone so much it's a much lesser experience I think. Game is still fun mechanically thought.

I actually enjoyed the slightly more serious tone, especially since they kept some references in and Leon got some new lines later too. It felt like it made the two versions more clearly different too! I don't think this is a knock against either game though, whatever gripes I have with OG the ham was great after all.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 2, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The QTE knife fight is now an actual boss fight where you retain full control and all the better for it

I’m just happy they preserved That Dog (although not happy they moved Leon saying the line to gameplay instead of cinematic where it gets stomped on by the boss attacking you)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Most of the reason to play RE4 over the remake seems to be nostalgia, which new players don't have for the game.

Idk though I'm not a horror guy. Didn't make it through the demo.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I never really got into the Zelda games, but why do they resonate so hard with people? Does the atmosphere just hit people super specifically? I have tons of friends who love the series to death, but they never really quantified why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

So I never really got into the Zelda games, but why do they resonate so hard with people? Does the atmosphere just hit people super specifically? I have tons of friends who love the series to death, but they never really quantified why.

They have good game design and fun and memorable locations and characters.