Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKDfO51Ja4

New Bomb Rush Cyberfunk trailer

PC/Switch August 18
Xbox/PS September 9

40 bones American

ooh wow, this game has been in development for so long, glad to finally see it coming out. We are never going to get a true sequel or remaster of Jet Set Radio, so this is the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What's wrong with mechanical keyboard dorks, what do they have against full-sized keyboards and/or numpads

in my case, it's entirely because i have my keyboard relatively close to my mouse for Gaming, and full-sized keyboards take up too much real estate that can result in my mouse bumping into the side of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

ooh wow, this game has been in development for so long, glad to finally see it coming out. We are never going to get a true sequel or remaster of Jet Set Radio, so this is the next best thing.

There's apparently one in the works, and a bit of it was shown off in the same leaked B-roll reel that also leaked the Persona 3 remake, so we'll see

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A8X2tqQuGY

here catch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The level editor is what i'm most excited for about this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm back on my Duolinguo bullshit. I have decided that I shall take first place every week until I hit the highest rank. Without subscribing to Duolingo Plus.

I've got a good scheme figured out, I'm hoarding my crystals so that as the lessons become harder, and therefore I make more mistakes and therefore can complete fewer lessons per day, I'll be able to go back and get the gold on the early easy levels. Clear a level, get the 15 minute double exp boost, go back and clear an easy gold, that's 90 exp right there.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImJQmxvwrc

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gripweed posted:

I'm back on my Duolinguo bullshit. I have decided that I shall take first place every week until I hit the highest rank. Without subscribing to Duolingo Plus.

I've got a good scheme figured out, I'm hoarding my crystals so that as the lessons become harder, and therefore I make more mistakes and therefore can complete fewer lessons per day, I'll be able to go back and get the gold on the early easy levels. Clear a level, get the 15 minute double exp boost, go back and clear an easy gold, that's 90 exp right there.

That was more or less my strategy for a while, but I realized I kind of like getting gold on a lesson immediately so that it's more likely to stick in my brain.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

presumably the goal isn't the high score, but actually learning a language

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

fuuuuck that's the same day as The Black Labyrinth

it's also the day after Shadow Gambit goddammiiiiitttttttt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arrrthritis posted:

That was more or less my strategy for a while, but I realized I kind of like getting gold on a lesson immediately so that it's more likely to stick in my brain.

I'm using it as a refresher, and if you already know a bit those early levels are painful. "Mizu to gohan means water and rice!" yeah I know that already bitch.

Jay Rust posted:

They aren't contradictory goals

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Is Duolinguo legit for learning different languages?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Electric Phantasm posted:

The couple times I tried learning new languages with it I got frustrated and gave up. Some might say it's the app, some might say it's my personality, I personally blame those languages for having dumb made up rules.

I'm using it now to refresh myself on a language I studied in high school and it's going much smoother.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

did they actually drag Tom Hall out to put him in the El Oscuro costume for this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

How does learning a language help to sell xp boosts and "streak freezes"

It can be a complimentary way to learn the basics and get some vocabulary down, and the game part can be a great way to motivate yourself to keep with it in the long term. But it's not gonna be enough on its own. For example it never really covers how grammar rules work. You'll get some of them intuitively just from repetition in the multiple choice questions but you're a lot better off with a textbook that can actually explain things.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ChickenHeart posted:

did they actually drag Tom Hall out to put him in the El Oscuro costume for this
Yes, back in 1994

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its not gonna beat books or classes but its better than nothing. also depends on what language, its way better for romance languages than say their japanese course which is kinda sketchy. you could definitely pick up tourist spanish on there though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"better than nothing" - duolingo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

didnt mean it complimentary

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"its (...) gonna beat books or classes... its way better..." - duolingo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"romance...sketchy...definitely pick up tourist..." - duolingo

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I took German I and II in middle school and then I tried translating a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-level book called Die Omama im Apfelbaum, but I was translating it too slowly, only one page a day, because it turns out two high school courses aren't nearly enough to start practically reading and I could've picked up a German III textbook instead of giving up on it

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 31, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My only choice in school was Spanish and I remember almost none of it despite acing the course

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know how much Duolingo has changed since I was using it a few years ago. It's fine as a daily practice aid I suppose but it really had a lot of roadblocks for me in terms of learning. I dunno, it feels like you need to have a more systematic overview of grammar stuff before you can start flashcarding that, and Duolingo does not provide that so you need to go elsewhere. Also, it just feels more intuitive to learn stuff based on situations where you would have conversations using specific words and phrases, and while Duolingo does group things by theme, it doesn't let you pick up the flow of conversations and responses.

Anyway I'm currently learning Tagalog

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bakit maliit ang ulo ng aso

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know how much Duolingo has changed since I was using it a few years ago. It's fine as a daily practice aid I suppose but it really had a lot of roadblocks for me in terms of learning. I dunno, it feels like you need to have a more systematic overview of grammar stuff before you can start flashcarding that, and Duolingo does not provide that so you need to go elsewhere. Also, it just feels more intuitive to learn stuff based on situations where you would have conversations using specific words and phrases, and while Duolingo does group things by theme, it doesn't let you pick up the flow of conversations and responses.

Anyway I'm currently learning Tagalog

Duo has lessons (now?) where you're like a 3rd party to a conversation between two native speakers and you're trying to interject or answer questions related to their conversation. I honestly enjoy those lessons the most of all the learning tools Duo employs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hwurmp posted:

bakit maliit ang ulo ng aso

Mabuti silang aso, Hwurmp

Propaganda Hour posted:

Duo has lessons (now?) where you're like a 3rd party to a conversation between two native speakers and you're trying to interject or answer questions related to their conversation. I honestly enjoy those lessons the most of all the learning tools Duo employs.

Hmm... I think I have enough retained knowledge of Spanish that maybe I'll try again for fun as a refresher, I guess it helps that it seems to be the most well-developed of their modules lol. I have studied Spanish in school three different times in my life but I still don't feel close to passable lol

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Never should have given up those Simlish classes.

Geeladooba, boobafala snood.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just sing along its not hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRGUH6sUEs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I always like how it's extremely obvious that this is the version with the slur.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

will.i.am insisted on it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How does learning a language help to sell xp boosts and "streak freezes"

Maybe battle passes and other micro bullshit have immunized me to these schemes, because that aspect off Duolingo did nothing for me. The gamification was so transparently pointless.

My mother, who’s never played a video game in her life, however, is utterly addicted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

August thread when?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
August isn't real

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
August is stacked as poo poo.

Am I the only one intrigued by immortals of Aveum aka wizard cod

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

External Organs posted:

August is stacked as poo poo.

Am I the only one intrigued by immortals of Aveum aka wizard cod

I can't even memorize the title.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Baldurs Gate 3
Armored Core 6
Blasphemous 2

Gonna be a good month

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Oh shiiit I thought AC6 was September.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

Baldurs Gate 3
Armored Core 6