Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
We play hard just means that the job sucks and the benefits are too lovely for therapy so employees are expected to manage their stress out of pocket with alcohol. "Playing hard" is a weaker brag than having a high reddit score or a bunch of WoW gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I clock in when I walk into the building, I clock out when I leave. Everything I have to do between those times is work.

Also, time spent walking to/from a meeting is meeting time. You schedule poo poo on a different floor at the other end of the building, your meeting is 10 minutes longer than you scheduled and I will adjust my timesheet accordingly.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

pencilhands posted:

we work hard and we play hard.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Zox5O3jh4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
americas a poo poo hole country with micro nano managing shits OP.

also if startup/prep takes time, then the "real" work day should take place like N mins later. you dont do work before work.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Nope you’re just a bad manager and are creating regulatory and operational risk to your employer and should be fired and possibly sued

No no no see it's "The industry standard" you know the one that's mysteriously not written down on paper, contract, or employee handbook or anything like that because like duh everyone knows it's the standard. Seems like someone should write it down so Bloodfart McCoy won't have to keep telling everyone.

Why don't you get your employer to put it in the employee manual and make your job a little easier? See how that goes.

Edit: I should mention if you can't find this in writing authoritatively, in a policy or procedure, your employer fully intends to fire you in an effort to get away with paying a smaller settlement.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 2, 2023

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Internet Old One posted:

This is all military bullshit. Tell him if he wants to run things like the military then that's cool.

Start putting feces in his coffee every time he makes you upset and one day when you know he won't catch you, knock him the gently caress out and leave him there on the ground. Be aware of moments that might be make for good opportunities to murder him and get away with it as well. But also show up 15 minutes early for things too.

(Do not actually murder your manager. Seriously quit that job life is too short for that)

Why do we have so many psychos posting in GBS?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol gettin murderously angry about managers because of a story pencilhands made up for gbs clout

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Internet Old One posted:

No no no see it's "The industry standard" you know the one that's mysteriously not written down on paper, contract, or employee handbook or anything like that because like duh everyone knows it's the standard. Seems like someone should write it down so Bloodfart McCoy won't have to keep telling everyone.

Why don't you get your employer to put it in the employee manual and make your job a little easier? See how that goes.

The employee handbook states that an employee’s work day begins at 8am, and they should be at their desk logged in at that time. If an agent is having a difficult time accomplishing this, I will suggest they try to arrive to work 15 minutes early to make sure they give themselves enough time to settle in before starting work. I really don’t care if it’s 5 minutes, a half hour, as long as they’re logging in on time.

Are you the kind of employee that needs me to hold your hand through that difficult process? It’s fine. Without subpar schmucks for me to motivate and discipline I would be out of a job. And we can’t have that :dukedog:

Now get back to work :dukedog:

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Just tell your boss you're a day early for tomorrow's shift. Then ask for a day's advance on your pay.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
ask him to make you salaried in that case so that you'll always be early :)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Are you the kind of employee that needs me to hold your hand through that difficult process? It’s fine. Without subpar schmucks for me to motivate and discipline I would be out of a job. And we can’t have that :dukedog:

Actually I threatened to quit my six figure work from home job and my fortune 50 employer told me I could take a 2 month paid leave of absence rather than losing me. So I'm not really an employee at all. I can't even log in. I plan on going on vacation as soon as my leave period is over and then I'll probably still quit.

But enjoy disciplining your call center.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

Actually I threatened to quit my six figure work from home job and my fortune 50 employer told me I could take a 2 month paid leave of absence rather than losing me. So I'm not really an employee at all. I can't even log in. I plan on going on vacation as soon as my leave period is over and then I'll probably still quit.

And the whole dick sucking factory stood up and clapped.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

American manager here.

The industry standard is that an employee cannot possibly walk through the front door five minutes before their shift starts, put their lunch away, get settled, turn on their computer, launch all their programs, and be ready to work for exactly 8am.

Suggesting employees arrive 15 minutes early is quite standard.

I also do not believe penishands will be successful at any fake job he pretends to have, let alone an actual job.

I would fire him.

Why shouldn't employees be paid for the time it takes them to prepare?
This is probably controversial but I'm of the mind that people should be paid for their commute time as well, especially if they can't reasonably find an affordable place to live nearby with their salary.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lotta people just utterly baffled at the idea of being treated like a human being when they clock in

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress your handbook bitch

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

leaptosleep posted:

Why shouldn't employees be paid for the time it takes them to prepare?

I never said I wasn’t paying them for clocking in early. If someone is generally productive and they want to clock in five or ten minutes early then I’m not busting their balls for that.

verbal enema posted:

gently caress your handbook bitch

That’s the kind of attitude that’s holding you back from that promotion verbal enema. This will reflect on your annual review.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I never said I wasn’t paying them for clocking in early. If someone is generally productive and they want to clock in five or ten minutes early then I’m not busting their balls for that.

I mean for the full time it takes to prepare, so if you're expecting them to come in 15 minutes early should they not be paid for those 15 minutes?
Anyway If you have no problem with paying people for the time it takes to prepare and it's become an expectation that they come in at that time why not just make it officially part of their hours? It seems like it causes needless confusion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If the employee’s computer takes 15 minutes to boot up and launch the applications necessary for work, that sounds like a company problem that they should rectify with newer equipment.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Show up 15 minutes early but just add 1.25 hours onto your weekly timesheet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I always spend the first few weeks testing boundaries, see how late I can get away with coming in, etc. I rolled in like 45 mins after supposed starting time, and my bosses pulled me in to be like "hey you're late" and I said oh my bad, but I e of my bosses added "just do better" in this weird tone, like I had apologized for like deeply wronging somebody. Anyway I still roll in pretty much anywhere between 9-10 and don't get giff for it, but recently that same boss somehow lost 15 years of data, like, all of our files and poo poo because he tools the WD that wasn't appropriate for our network needs home and hosed up transferring to Dropbox or some poo poo. I have wanted so badly to tell him "just do better" but haven't even seen him since.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

leaptosleep posted:

I mean for the full time it takes to prepare, so if you're expecting them to come in 15 minutes early should they not be paid for those 15 minutes?
Anyway If you have no problem with paying people for the time it takes to prepare and it's become an expectation that they come in at that time why not just make it officially part of their hours? It seems like it causes needless confusion.

Because the same people who have trouble logging in on time at 8am will be the same people having trouble logging in at 7:45am.

And then I’d have to pay everybody those extra 15 minutes of work instead of just the 5-10% of employees who actually clock in a few minutes early. That extra 15 minutes per day would equal an automatic 1.25 hours of OT each week for each employee. The budget isn’t liking those numbers.

Hey the sooner you stop asking questions the sooner you can enjoy the pizza in the break room. Better get it before it’s cold!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands leans back, tapping his fingers together maliciously, his work for the day done

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If the employee’s computer takes 15 minutes to boot up and launch the applications necessary for work, that sounds like a company problem that they should rectify with newer equipment.

There was actually a lawsuit for this and the employees won.

It was a company that would do 3rd party phone support for other outfits. Like, when you call up Comcast phone support, you'd be talking to these people.

Anyway, the employee's computers were old and slow as poo poo, so it would take anywhere from 10-20 minutes for them to get logged in and ready to start taking phone calls. If your shift started at 8am for example, you'd have to get there early to get logged in and ready for 8. That was all unpaid time and the company wouldn't pay up. Employees sued and won.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

American manager here.

The industry standard is that an employee cannot possibly walk through the front door five minutes before their shift starts, put their lunch away, get settled, turn on their computer, launch all their programs, and be ready to work for exactly 8am.

Suggesting employees arrive 15 minutes early is quite standard.

I also do not believe penishands will be successful at any fake job he pretends to have, let alone an actual job.

I would fire him.

Your company is almost certainly committing wage theft.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Stop showing up to work.

When HR asks why, tell them "the manager wanted me to arrive 15 minutes early, but he didn't specify where."

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

managers are basically cops

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Because the same people who have trouble logging in on time at 8am will be the same people having trouble logging in at 7:45am.

And then I’d have to pay everybody those extra 15 minutes of work instead of just the 5-10% of employees who actually clock in a few minutes early. That extra 15 minutes per day would equal an automatic 1.25 hours of OT each week for each employee. The budget isn’t liking those numbers.

Hey the sooner you stop asking questions the sooner you can enjoy the pizza in the break room. Better get it before it’s cold!

They might not be logged in at 7:45 but the point is you want them logged in by 8, no?

And if the company can't afford to pay everybody overtime then how are these expectations fair?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Your job is already dodging paying you for the commute time, and I'm betting most people sleep extra just to be not tired for work, so at least a few hours of sleep each night should be paid for as well.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
This is why hourly pay jobs are terrible. Management will squeeze and micro every penny of work from you. If you only show up 5 minutes early and you take 10 minutes to take your coat off, log in etc. then that's "time theft.".

You will also work full-time-part-time, they will work you just shy of weekly full time hours. So if 40 hours per is considered to be full time, and getting full time benefits, then you will be working 38 hours and not getting full time benefits.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I’m kinda drunk and this post is hilarious. Good job, OP. Now getting to the matter at hand. I need clarification on this.

Smugworth posted:

There's no law against adding the following question to a job application:

Do you have stairs in their house?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] I am protected

Also, showing up early is one of those dumb things a boss uses as a form of mental abuse to keep you edge at all times.

It’s like when you decide you’ve finally had enough of this poo poo, show up to do your job and then, at the end of the day, tell them you won’t be coming back to this loving bullshit hellhole. They get mad and say “that’s not enough notice,” “they need at least two weeks to train your replacement,” etc.

Now I’m a felon in a work-for-hire state so at the moment I’m working in restaurants and poo poo like that. I’m in a state where you can come in and your boss can just decide to fire you right now without cause. I’ve never been told two weeks in advance that I’m about to get fire, so why should I give you two weeks notice that I’m not showing up to put away the truck at 6 am. Y’all better figure that poo poo out on your own time because I gotta start my day drinking shift early and I ain’t coming back to this bitch.

E: edited the last sentence for clarity because now I’m mad thinking about work and really want my point to be clear.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 2, 2023

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Jose Oquendo posted:

Based on his other posts, yep.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry for the double post, but another thing I hate is when you show up on time, get all your poo poo done, and leave when the schedule prescribes thinking “Wow, I actually had a pretty good time today and gently caress with all my coworkers. This poo poo ain’t so bad.”

And then you show up the next day and your boss is bitching saying poo poo like “The schedule is an approximation, it isn’t law. Never leave without clearing it with a manager on duty.”

If the schedule is an approximation and not law then I should be able to show up ten minutes before my shift ends, stock up the product, sweep the floors, and leave.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This is why, OP:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My boss tried to pull some condescending bullshit once and I told him to eat poo poo in front of the entire company and then he fired me lol.

edit: not on the spot tho because he's a coward. waited for me to leave and then told my manager to do it. lmao

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I would fire OP but not because he's not early, it's because he's really loving lame.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That’s for the exces to worry about. Not little ol me :allears:

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

pencilhands posted:

The other day he took me aside and said “look pencilhands, in my mind, if I’m not 15 minutes early, im late. I want to see you start showing up early. Do we need to give you a shift that starts later so you can be early?”

I just replied “uhh what? If you want me to show up earlier why not make my shift start earlier? How does that make any sense?”

He just mumbled something about “if you’re early you’re on time, if you’re on time your late, and if you’re late that’s unacceptable” and walked away saying something about “this is a team, we work hard and we play hard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Challenge your boss to a work-off

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

That’s for the exces to worry about. Not little ol me :allears:

Based on your posts, you appear to be complicit in it. You could actually do your part and make sure your employees are paid for the time they're doing work poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Post to the internal company slack channel that your boss has a micropenis and you've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Why do American managers want you to come in ear