Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi, OP. We've been doing this for the last 10+ years. Not prepping for doomsday, but, like, prepping for hotter temperatures, less electrical grid stability, sporadic supply-chain breakdowns, and other stuff that's actually happening now but people would have thought we were crazy to worry about in 2013, if we'd made a thread about it then.

The main home changes we've made were to install solar panels, get off natural gas (1 year before the price of gas went through the roof in our state, yay timing), put in air conditioning, install better windows... It's not crazy stuff, most of it was either a smart upgrade at the time, or wound up being a smart thing to do a couple years later.

Unfortunately, though, there's just no telling if this town is even going to be here 10 years from now. All the preparation in the world won't matter at all if we stop getting water, or if the trucks bringing food to the store stop coming anywhere nearby, or if local employers shut their doors, or if there's a severed fiber optic uplink that there's no money to fix.

The poster who suggested making friends with your neighbors, that's probably your best bet at this point. I've been trying to stay ahead of things because it's my hobby, but at the end of the day, I'm just screwing around with technology toward a specific (forecasted) goal. People, generally, are going to have to figure out new ways to do stuff, and being pals with your community means you'll be working together on these solutions, instead of you being that crazy hoarder guy in the zombie movie who loses everything when a bunch of raiders (ie a community) kill him for it.

Maybe look into becoming active with your local government. Help your community plan for what's clearly coming. Serve on a board or commission, and try to navigate the politics of keeping a bunch of primates focused on a task. Or just be a voice at the meetings, so the people who are in those decision making positions don't feel like there's no support for them doing the things that need to be done. It's not easy work, you won't get any cool gadgets or greywater systems out of it, but it's very much what humanity needs most right now.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks for reassuring me that the assumptions behind my decision to avoid were correct.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just stumbled on this thread again, and I have a hot new take on the subject line (not the thread content).

The way you stop being a doomer and love climate change is to take the long view. If humanity is going to become a multi-planet species, we need to learn how to live on planets that are not as hospitable to life. The assumption always seems to be that we'll learn this by funding expensive as hell missions to weird planets and science it up, but that's going to take forever and cost too much.

The easier way for us to learn how to live on lovely planets is to do it right here at home.

This is how humanity does stuff: we crap things up until we have to deal with it. It's how we learned about coal pollution; CFCs; farming; electrical power line safety... so much innovation is just us throwing human meat into the grinder until we figure out how to not get ground up as much. This is the same thing, and the way you love it is by convincing yourself that the other side of the pile of bodies is our (possibly lovely, possibly way better than anything else, nobody knows) planet's brand of life spreading out into the galaxy.

Hope This Helps, Have A Nice Day

- cruft

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e: I'm just gonna let that first post stand, although since I already made a follow-up, I'll just say that I agree with what Earwicker said :)

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 16, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

skooma512 posted:

It's Earth or bust.

:agreed: pinning your hopes on lifting 1.2 trillion pounds of human out of Earth's gravity well is folly, to say nothing of the food and water and seeds and soil microbes and insects and clothing and uncle Phil's medicine required to get them all to Mars.

But if you want to love climate change, I'm still going to recommend viewing it as a necessary but painful step to becoming a multi-planetary species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

even if this were true, it's not going to happen during the lifetime of anyone reading this

That means you can't prove me wrong! Ha!

I love climate change so much right now!