Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, I'm a lifelong space head. JWST and the Vera Rubin telescope and Artemis quite literally gives me will to live.

But lol at any mission proposal past like 2040. They're not going to happen. Nobody is going to be funding these things while we're in resource wars and global food shortages are affecting even the US. Humanity frankly will not survive to 2124 in numbers to do any space programs.

Also we have no where close to jump to that's habitable. If you have to dome up to live, you need a species sized supply chain to support you pretty much forever, and you'll never be able to scale the colony up comfortably, and not every rocky body has every element needed to make things. If Earth becomes turbogigafucked and humanity becomes extinct here, a Mars colony is a lifeboat for another few decades until entropy does its thing there too. FTL is not going to happen society or no society, and so far, even if we felt like doing it the slow way there's still no where to go, we haven't found anything close to Earth-like let alone within double digit light years. It's Earth or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Earwicker posted:

well we could always build a big antenna and point it at the sun and use it as a big transmitter to send a message to the rest of the universe that we've hosed our little rock up and could use a bit of help

600 years later, the reply will be "sucks bro". 2000 years later one of their ships finally show up and has some cool strata to dig through.