Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

dervival posted:

just wanting to highlight how well these two posts dovetail together if you do them both at once - by getting active in your community and local politics, you can sway your neighbors/HOAs/local cultures to be more friendly towards stuff like victory gardens and growing your own produce as well as being an advocate for you and your family. it's all about figuring out ways to solve multiple problems at once without generating many more in the process.

I'm so on board with growing your own food, and I'm lucky to live in an area where there seems to be a fair number of people doing the same. Apps like NextDoor here are great for making connections and sharing resources and knowledge, e.g. I was having a low success rate grafting avocados and met up with someone who not only showed me how he does it but gave me a tree that's been producing great the last two years. I'm still a beginner at gardening but things like peas, string beans, cherry tomatoes etc are so easy to grow in containers, and this year I finally figured out how to get the ph right for blueberries and they absolutely exploded.

My experience is more on the building side, and I've helped people make raised garden beds, set up simple water collection systems etc, mostly using free stuff off Craigslist and Buy Nothing groups. Redwood is amazing- running old fence boards through a planer often results in boards that literally look like fresh redwood. We throw so much usable material into landfills it's absurd.

I'm a big fan of bartering as well. Taking money out of the equation creates a whole other vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Great post!

Is Nextdoor a worth while app? I always heard bad things about it.
How did you find the Buy Nothing groups? How did you make the contacts that are willing to barter?

NextDoor in my area is great for a few things (like asking for small favors) and terrible imo for the rest (especially anything political).

Buy Nothing is big on Facebook here, there are other groups/organizations around too.

The free section of Craigslist and NextDoor can be really good as well.

Bartering is mostly with neighbors and people I run across on jobs, and I've also made connections in the course of giving away or picking up free stuff- people who are inclined to make the effort to donate before dumping stuff, or seek donations before buying stuff, tend to have more in common regarding how to live on earth than just the buy nothing mindset.