Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

cruft posted:

The poster who suggested making friends with your neighbors, that's probably your best bet at this point. I've been trying to stay ahead of things because it's my hobby, but at the end of the day, I'm just screwing around with technology toward a specific (forecasted) goal. People, generally, are going to have to figure out new ways to do stuff, and being pals with your community means you'll be working together on these solutions, instead of you being that crazy hoarder guy in the zombie movie who loses everything when a bunch of raiders (ie a community) kill him for it.

Maybe look into becoming active with your local government. Help your community plan for what's clearly coming. Serve on a board or commission, and try to navigate the politics of keeping a bunch of primates focused on a task. Or just be a voice at the meetings, so the people who are in those decision making positions don't feel like there's no support for them doing the things that need to be done. It's not easy work, you won't get any cool gadgets or greywater systems out of it, but it's very much what humanity needs most right now.

Earwicker posted:

honestly i think a lot of the prep we need to do is less "doomer survivalist bunker" stuff and more simple things that lots of people used to do all the time, like growing vegetables so that a community isn't automatically destroyed just because trucks stop bringing food to stores

i travel all the time and am constantly dismayed to find myself in places where there are crops being grown at large scale and there is good soil and water and resources but you go into most stores and every bit of food you see in there was trucked in from several hundred miles away and most of it is wrapped in plastic. ive heard stories of people in the suburbs who own houses getting in trouble with homeowners associations or their neighbors for growing food in their yard instead of grass, because it "lowers property values" or some poo poo (does it even?). something about our relationship to food, where food comes from and what its supposed to look like, has become utterly hosed. and part of surviving is going to involve breaking and rebuilding that system, imo.

just wanting to highlight how well these two posts dovetail together if you do them both at once - by getting active in your community and local politics, you can sway your neighbors/HOAs/local cultures to be more friendly towards stuff like victory gardens and growing your own produce as well as being an advocate for you and your family. it's all about figuring out ways to solve multiple problems at once without generating many more in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU