Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think one of the most important things one can do, and you do mention it, is to become better friends with ones neighbors. things like growing food, generating your own electricity, security, etc. we are all going to vary a lot in our abilities and means to get that poo poo together. it's when people join together as communities that all of these things become a lot more realistically doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

honestly i think a lot of the prep we need to do is less "doomer survivalist bunker" stuff and more simple things that lots of people used to do all the time, like growing vegetables so that a community isn't automatically destroyed just because trucks stop bringing food to stores

i travel all the time and am constantly dismayed to find myself in places where there are crops being grown at large scale and there is good soil and water and resources but you go into most stores and every bit of food you see in there was trucked in from several hundred miles away and most of it is wrapped in plastic. ive heard stories of people in the suburbs who own houses getting in trouble with homeowners associations or their neighbors for growing food in their yard instead of grass, because it "lowers property values" or some poo poo (does it even?). something about our relationship to food, where food comes from and what its supposed to look like, has become utterly hosed. and part of surviving is going to involve breaking and rebuilding that system, imo.

i think i mentioned above im not a homeowner i live in an apartment building and have a shared balcony where i can grow a few things. but there is shared space in the building that gets good sunlight and is currently used for nothing other than a few decorative plants. in buildings without other outdoor space, rooftops have a lot of potential.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 23, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the only useful thing ive ever seen on nextdoor is every once in a while someone sells or gives away audio equipment or some decent looking furniture

i live in an area with a very high volume of both coyotes and helicopters and nextdoor seems to mainly be a place for people who are perpetually mystified and alarmed by these things

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

VplDyln posted:

I was under the impression that a BOE and systems collapse, combined with the exponential acceleration, will extinguish 80% of all life.

even if that is true its not going to happen in one instant. it's reasonable to discuss methods of survival and helping each other to whatever extent is possible in the coming poo poo while we are still alive.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cruft posted:

This is how humanity does stuff: we crap things up until we have to deal with it. It's how we learned about coal pollution; CFCs; farming; electrical power line safety... so much innovation is just us throwing human meat into the grinder until we figure out how to not get ground up as much.

every one of the issues you mention is still actively loving us up in various ways and we have not learned how to deal with any of them properly. like farming is the earliest and most basic of the things you mention but we still live in a world where our food distribution system actively works against a lot of people and large numbers of people starve or go malnourished

quote:

the way you love it is by convincing yourself that the other side of the pile of bodies is our (possibly lovely, possibly way better than anything else, nobody knows) planet's brand of life spreading out into the galaxy.

i've been reading an interesting scifi series lately where an overall global conflict among humanity several centuries from now comes down to a choice between two "branches"

one is the branch you describe, exploration of the galaxy and spread of the species via trial and error. this branch involves - as you mention - a lot of death. and a lot of distance and separation and the pain involved in exploration.

the other branch is focusing all human resources on the quest for achieving immortality here on earth. curing the diseases that plague us and learning how to keep a planet and its people in balance, a way of life that is healthy for all the life here, before we think about setting foot on any other planet. but of course this approach involves putting all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cruft posted:

Like, we know what to do about food distribution, pollution, etc. We figured that out. Whether we care enough to actually do it is another matter. We don't yet know what to do about climate change, but once we do, we'll understand how to change a planet's climate intentionally, after having accidentally discovered that we could.

i think learning to care enough - collectively, not just some of us - is a big part of the "figuring it out" that we haven't done yet, and it's a part that we're going to have to figure out if we're going to last long to spread anywhere, otherwise the coming food crisis and its resultant conflicts and/or the poisoning/cooking of the planet will wipe us out long before we get anywhere else

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, I'm a lifelong space head. JWST and the Vera Rubin telescope and Artemis quite literally gives me will to live.

But lol at any mission proposal past like 2040. They're not going to happen. Nobody is going to be funding these things while we're in resource wars and global food shortages are affecting even the US. Humanity frankly will not survive to 2124 in numbers to do any space programs.

Also we have no where close to jump to that's habitable. If you have to dome up to live, you need a species sized supply chain to support you pretty much forever, and you'll never be able to scale the colony up comfortably, and not every rocky body has every element needed to make things. If Earth becomes turbogigafucked and humanity becomes extinct here, a Mars colony is a lifeboat for another few decades until entropy does its thing there too. FTL is not going to happen society or no society, and so far, even if we felt like doing it the slow way there's still no where to go, we haven't found anything close to Earth-like let alone within double digit light years. It's Earth or bust.

well we could always build a big antenna and point it at the sun and use it as a big transmitter to send a message to the rest of the universe that we've hosed our little rock up and could use a bit of help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cruft posted:

But if you want to love climate change, I'm still going to recommend viewing it as a necessary but painful step to becoming a multi-planetary species.

even if this were true, it's not going to happen during the lifetime of anyone reading this